Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Timing / Locations for Nov 2024 Trip 2024/2/14 04:18
Hi! I visited Japan back in 2019 and am finally planning my second trip. Last time I visited Tokyo -> Kyoto -> Osaka -> Miyajima -> Hiroshima. I want to spend a decent amount of time in Tokyo/Kyoto again to visit some of the same places and some new ones, but also want to visit some more nature-surrounded places with cool scenery. I also want to catch the autumn leaves in Tokyo/Kyoto.

I've got a current rough itinerary (see below) that visits Takayama -> Okuhida -> Shirakawago -> Kanazawa -> Kyoto -> Tokyo, but I have a few questions:

- thinking of flying out mid-Nov and back early Dec (meaning I'd be in Kyoto 24-28th ish and not in Kyoto over the weekend haha, and in Tokyo 29-3rd ish). Is this a good time, or should I look at a little earlier?

- is Takayama -> Okuhida -> Shirakawago -> Kanazawa a good choice considering the time of year (too cold? not as pretty? travel difficult?)

- thinking of storing suitcases in Takayama before heading to Okuhida so I can go straight for the ropeway. Does anyone happen to know if Takayama station has a fair amount of large luggage lockers or there's a nearby place for sending luggage?

Rough itinerary:
Day 0: Fly out
Day 1: Tokyo
Day 2: Tokyo -> Takayama
Day 3: Takayama
Day 4: Takayama -> Okuhida
Day 5: Okuhida -> Shirakawago
Day 6: Shirakawago -> Kanazawa
Day 7: Kanazawa
Day 8: Kanazawa -> Kyoto
Day 9-12: Kyoto (with day trip to Nara)
Day 13: Kyoto -> Tokyo
Day 14-17: Tokyo
Day 18: Fly back
by Abbie (guest)  

Re: Timing / Locations for Nov 2024 Trip 2024/2/14 07:48
Yep think mid-Nov to early Dec is a good time to catch the autumn colours in Kyoto, Tokyo, and Kanazawa. I don't think the travel will be difficult but do bring thick jackets.

For luggage storage, you can download the Ecbo Cloak app. It tells you where around you in Japan have luggage storage service, including lockers.
https://visitjapan-vegetarian.com/the-most-useful-apps-for-traveling-i...
by Lilz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Timing / Locations for Nov 2024 Trip 2024/2/14 09:03
You could send your luggage from a konbini (Eg 7/11) to Kanazawa.
A night in Shirakawago might be difficult to get a room. If not just continue to Kanazawa
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Timing / Locations for Nov 2024 Trip 2024/2/15 07:49
Thanks so much for the answers! The Ebco cloak app looks super helpful and there's a place near a bus station so I'll definitely look into that! Else I'll look into sending it - might make it easier for the bus connection in Takayama

For booking somewhere to stay in Shirakawago, I'm only aware of the tourist association (https://shirakawa-go.gr.jp/en/stay/). My plan was to figure out how long in advance they allow bookings (seems to be a few months in advance?) and try to book as soon as the dates become available. Is this recommended?
by Abbie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread