Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

How long does plum blossom last? 2024/2/17 23:56
I already booked my flight to Japan on 6 Mar, planning to see the ume and plum blossom; however, all the flowers are progressing at rocket's speed right now. Jonangu temple, Kyoto, full bloom. Yugawara, Kanagawa, 70%. Mito, Ibaraki, 70% :(((

So, anyone with experience of flowering viewing, could you please advise me how long the plum full bloom will last? Can it be 2-3 weeks or as short as sakura? Or do you happen to know any place which might have late blooming?

Many thanks.
by Yukievn  

Re: How long does plum blossom last? 2024/2/18 06:31
Plums are much more complicated.

Why? Because 80% of cherry trees in Japan are of the Somei Yoshino variety. As a result, it is relatively easy to define a 1-week blooming period as the "cherry blossoms season".

However, in case of plums, there is no such dominating variety. Instead, there are dozens of varieties planted all across the gardens of Japan, and each variety has its own blooming period. Some start blooming in January, others in February, still others in March. They are also all in bloom for 1-2 weeks. Some longer.

Now, depending on what varieties a garden features, the peak can be in February or the peak can be in March. Overall, the peak tends to be in March.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: How long does plum blossom last? 2024/2/18 12:28
In my neighbourhood I was enjoying some plum at the end of January. Now, mid-Feb, other neighbours and their trees are in bloom. For somewhere like Kyoto there are some very famous spots I would go like the Imperial Palace, Nijo Castle and Kitano Tenmangu.
Like cherry, there are many types and while Yoshino might be common, it is really not dominant and actually a relatively new type of cherry with the oldest verified example only 250 years ago (1775), but usually much more recent (1875).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How long does plum blossom last? 2024/2/18 18:01
Yeah - I've gotta agree with the randomness of Plum Blossoms.

I've seen plum blossoms in Jan and to mid March. In general - the higher the elevation the later the bloom. You should be able to see some - but may need to change your location to a slightly higher elevation. Tohoku might be a good idea - but I don't know many locations in this area.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: How long does plum blossom last? 2024/2/18 21:49
@Uji, @JapanCustomTours, @mfedley,

Thanks for your kind response. Let me check out Tohoku places.
by Yukievn rate this post as useful

Re: How long does plum blossom last? 2024/2/19 07:41
If you arrive on March 6, you will likely see lots of plum blossoms in gardens across Tokyo. Some specific spots are listed here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2013.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread