Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

How to ask when shop open/close? 2024/2/19 07:03
Been trying to ask some shops when they open or close, but they have had problems understand me.

I guess "mise wa nan ji shimemasu ka?" is not entierly correct...
by Jojo (guest)  

Re: How to ask when shop open/close? 2024/2/19 11:56
Maybe
Nanji Kara yatte imasuka ?
Should do the trick. I think the KARA is important as it says FROM WHEN
if you want to ask until when I would say
last odaa wa nanji ni narimasuka?

When is the last order.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: How to ask when shop open/close? 2024/2/19 11:56
Maybe
Nanji Kara yatte imasuka ?
Should do the trick. I think the KARA is important as it says FROM WHEN
if you want to ask until when I would say
last odaa wa nanji ni narimasuka?

When is the last order.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: How to ask when shop open/close? 2024/2/19 12:49
To be precise, it's supposed to be ""mise wa nan ji NI shimemasu ka?" but as a native speaker, I don't understand why "mise wa nan ji shimemasu ka?" is not working.

Are you asking orally or by writing? If you're asking orally, why not just say,
"Nan-ji ni open shimasuka?
And after they tell you the opening time, you can ask,
"Nanji ni close shimasuka?"
You don't need to say "mise". And you can pronounce "open/close" just as you would the English words, because they're commonly used imported words in Japan.

If you're writing the question, just write,
"What time do you open? What time do you close?"

And just to add to LikeBike's suggestion, if you want to ask "until what time?" you can say,
"Mise wa Nanji ma-de desuka?
If it's a restaurant or bar, they will tell you what time is "last order".

I hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to ask when shop open/close? 2024/2/19 14:46
何時から何時まで開いていますか?
nanji kara nanji made aiteimasuka ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Great effort!! 2024/2/19 21:04
Unfortunately you failed to convey your message to them, but I sincerely and deeply respect all your efforts in speaking to Japanese people in Japanese; because few foreign tourists attempt to do that here other than simple greetings.

In addition to the expressions other users have already shown you, there is an alternative expression to tell that: "Kono mise no, eigyou jikan' wo, oshiete kudasai." This means "Please tell me the operation hours of THIS shop/store/restaurant." By using this, you can know both the opening and closing hours at the same time, and they may tell you their regular closing days, too.
I wish you the best of luck in communicating directly in Japanese with local people. Never give up!

(Personally, I don't like to write "を" as "wo" so much. Because most of us pronounce it just "o" without "w", rather than "wo" with "w". But in the general rules we express "を" as "wo", and here I should obey it...)
by Stip (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread