Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Spouse visa to Permanent resident visa 2024/2/19 14:06
Hello everyone,
Background:
I am a permanent resident and I have wife and child, wife is spouse of PR and my child has Long term resident visa both have one year of resident visa.

Question:
Is it possible to change for both my wife and child visa to PR visa?..

Note:
I am a company full time employee.
by Quick (guest)  

Re: Spouse visa to Permanent resident visa 2024/2/20 02:47
Hi

You will need to show that you have been married over 3 years and that they've been living in japan consecutively for at least a year.

They'd also currently need to be holding a 3 year residency card for their current residence status.

As you said they only hold a year right now, they cannot apply to be permanent residents until they get a 3 year card issued by the immigration. This could be in their next renewal, or they may get issued a 1 year card again, unfortunately only immigration gets to decide that.
by Shelly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa to Permanent resident visa 2024/2/20 08:43
oohh.. you don't want a visa, what you want is change of status.

visa ‚ resident status

and the rest is just like what Shelly said..
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa to Permanent resident visa 2024/2/20 11:24
@shelly
Thank you very much for the clarification.
I understand that, have to renew the visa until I get three years of residence, then I could apply for PR.

Just for a note, Myself and wife are foreigners (My wife is not Japanese)

Shelly's answer applies for the above situation?...

by Quick (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa to Permanent resident visa 2024/2/20 13:21
get term correct.

visa : is what you need/given to enter Japan. And your visa is used/cancel. Apply from outside Japan with COE

resident status : is what you are given once you enter Japan with the visa.

change of status : Apply in Japan without COE.

example : you entered Japan with PR Spouse visa, and received PR Spouse resident status.

So , you have a PR resident status, your wife PR spouse resident status and child with Long Term resident status.

What you want now is to apply for Change of Status uέ—―Ž‘Ši•ΟXvto PR resident status.
So, just careful with the term as it involve different procedure/documentation. Some immigration officer won't be helpful to explain the difference and just process your application according to what term/documentation you present.

And what Shelly mentioned above is the correct way to proceed with change of status,
married for 3 years, residing in Japan for at least one year, and have period of stays of 3 years on the zairyu card.
Maybe on their next renewal you could check with the immigration officer on how to proceed with Change of Status for PR.

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa to Permanent resident visa 2024/2/20 22:15
Congratulations on your permanent residency! Regarding your question, it's indeed possible for your wife and child to apply for a change of their visa status to permanent residency. As a permanent resident, you can sponsor their application.

The specific requirements and procedures may vary, so I recommend checking with the immigration authorities or a legal professional to ensure you have all the necessary documents and information for a smooth application process.

Best of luck to you, your wife, and your child in this process!
by Cerve rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa to Permanent resident visa 2024/2/22 09:39
Dear all,
Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Now, I get some picture.

Thanks a lot
by Quick (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread