Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Feedback Itinerary 2024/2/26 04:32
Hello everyone!

I'm planning a trip to Japan and have sketched out an itinerary starting from Tokyo to Okinawa. I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community for feedback, advice, and suggestions on how to optimize our journey and whether the order of destinations makes sense logistically and culturally.

Here's our current plan:

Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo - Matsumoto
Matsumoto - Takayama
Takayama
Takayama - Magome
Magome
Magome - Tsumago
Tsumago - Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto/NARA
Mount Koyason
Kyoto - Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima - Osaka --> is this a logic order - Kyoto - Hiroshima - Osaka?
Osaka
Osaka - Okinawa
okinawa
Okinawa - Tokyo

Logistical advice: Is the order of destinations efficient? Are there better routes or transportation options we should consider? We were thinking of doing the first part by car, and then afterwards by train?

Any feedback, tips, or personal experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated. We want to make the most of our trip and ensure we're respecting local traditions and making sustainable travel choices.

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance!
by DCUI  

Re: Feedback Itinerary 2024/2/26 09:20
When are you travelling?

Is losing 3 full days for only 1 full day in Okinawa worth it?

Is this trip your first to Japan? If yes, then more Tokyo/Kyoto is needed.

It is a very busy itinerary. I expect some burnout 10-14 days in.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback Itinerary 2024/2/26 13:27
Overall it seems unbalanced.
- a very long time in / around Magome. 1 night is all you need
- not enough time in Kyoto
- as PP pointed out Okinawa is a hassle to get to for one day.
- Kyoto - Hiroshima - Osaka - Okinawa seems odd. Arenft there any flights from Hiroshima to Okinawa? (If you must go there)
- renting a car and not returning it to the original pickup location is costly (and sometimes impossible) plus your itinerary doesnft call gcarh all over the place. If car, then go slower and more rural.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback Itinerary 2024/2/26 17:09
Thank you!

It is the first time in Japan.

We are going in august. And because we take a 12 y old daughter, we would like to end at the beach ... that's why we planned going to Okinawa (if the weather conditions - typhoon season )

Thank you!
by DCUI rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback Itinerary 2024/2/26 17:46
I am not a beach person myself, but how about Shirahama? It is more or less in the same area as Koyasan, but having a car seems more convenient there.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4958.html
https://en.visitwakayama.jp/destinations/shirahama-kushimoto/

There's also (Kii-)Tanabe close by: https://www.tanabe-kanko.jp/event/natsu/
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback Itinerary 2024/2/26 17:51
With a child I would slow down the pace a lot.
Also how heat resistant is she (and you)? August will still be very hot and humid.
Maybe consider including some time in Hokkaido or at least northern Tohoku?

And yes, there are definitely beaches closer to where you already. although truth be told Japan isnft a beach destination

Maybe for some relax time look at one of the small islands in the Seto Inlandsea?

Re: Feedback Itinerary 2024/2/26 18:01
I see you are from Belgium. Temperatures in Japan can be misleading to someone not used to humid heat.
Itfs around 30+ C which doesnft sound too bad, but I found 40C in Madrid when I was living there better than 32C in Japan. Itfs the humidity that for people not used to it is very hard. Think tropical heat and humidity.

If you and your family have experience going to tropical places in summer by all means. If not, consider including more time in Northern Japan and/or mountains.
It just be flexible. Book hotels in your initial itinary but also book some alternatives in the North and have everything cancelable until a few days before so you can decide how the heat feels once you have arrived and then either cancel some of the hotter destinations and replace with cooler ones or decide that you donft have an issue with the heat and go ahead as planned.

Re: Feedback Itinerary 2024/3/10 19:32
Hey there! 🌟

Big thanks to everyone for the heads up and advice. Yes, we've braved the heat before, so we've got this covered. But really, appreciate all the advice and concern! 🙌

Now, ... I'm kinda spinning my wheels here, trying to figure out our must-sees and how to squeeze the magic into our days.
We've got Magome, Hakone, Matsumoto, Kanazawa, Takayama, and Tsumago on the radar.
Which ones are the authentic experiences we can't miss?

And Kyoto – how long would you advice?

Also, Hiroshima and Osaka – are they must-dos? Worth the detour?

Thanks a lot!!
by DCUI rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback Itinerary 2024/3/10 21:45
„ We've got Magome, Hakone, Matsumoto, Kanazawa, Takayama, and Tsumago on the radar.
Which ones are the authentic experiences we can't miss?

And Kyoto – how long would you advice?

Also, Hiroshima and Osaka – are they must-dos? Worth the detour?g

Osaka isnft really a detour. Just stay longer in Kyoto and you can do Osaka as a daytrip. However if it was me, Osaka would be the first place to be removed from the list of places you visit. I have been for weeks in end (including WE on business trips and hardly found anything interesting in Osaka. Always left on the weekends to other parts of Kansai.

Kyoto, well you could easily spend 2 weeks on Kyoto. I know a lot of people who go back to Kyoto regularly (me included). But I get out that you want to see other places, so arrange the other places. Ifd say 3 days Kyoto itself (ie w/o side trips) should be the bare minimum.

From this list (g Magome, Hakone, Matsumoto, Kanazawa, Takayama, and Tsumago on the radar.h) if I had to choose one location only I would go with Matsumoto for the castle and the mountains around. You can even have an authentic ryokan experience in Asama onsen.
If I am gallowed g to choose 2 destinations Ifd go with Hakone because where can you walk on a boiling volcano?
While Takayama I found overrated and too touristy when I went in 2017.

Re: Feedback Itinerary 2024/3/11 03:34
Just adding my two cents.

You seem to be moving around a lot - and driving in major cities in Japan is just painful. In general - I tend to catch trains/buses/low cost flights between major cities and then hire a car when I need to.

When driving around Japan - note that it's REALLY SLOW (like 50 KM/H on major non-toll roads!) and the toll roads cost a fair amount.

With your driving between your two locations, tolls and dropping off at a different location, I don't know if you'll actually save money even with 3 of you.

On Magome - you have left way too much time. It's a nice 2 hour walk between the two locations, which I've done twice. I'm not sure I'd want to do it in August though.

And on the weather - I know a lot of European (including Italians and Spaniards) who claim they can handle the head but wilt under a Japanese summer. Let's just say you've been warned. I remember a day in Takayama where it was 37C in August and it felt hotter than a 47C day I experienced in Melbourne Australia when I used to live there.

3 weeks is also a good chunk of time but it no-where near enough time to even see the highlights of Japan. To some serial travelers to Japan - I'll be honest and say that your trip looks a bit boiler plate (meaning what most people do).

Because you are visiting in August - there is the option of the Tohoku festivals and there are also some on the Kii Peninsula which I liked.

Okinawa is very spread out and the main island probably has 4/5 days of stuff to do. I did not see it as the best swimming location in that area.

If you want different - consider spending a 4-7 nights in the Yaeyama Islands (Ishigaki, Iriomote, day trip to Takotomi) which are a part of Okinawa.

People also keep on suggesting Tohoku - which is Northern Honshu (the main island). It's got lots to do, plenty of history, much smaller crowds and most importantly cooler weather.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread