Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Ideas for 1 week with central base 2024/3/6 16:07
We are a couple in our 60s wanting some ideas for our 4th trip to Japan. We plan to spend 7-10 days, and would like to stay several nights in the one place and do day trips by train to nearby attractions, with a couple of days either side at different places. We don't mind relaxing on the train trips each day instead of packing and changing hotels each day or two.

Last June we had a lovely week in Kyushu, staying a couple of nights in Fukuoka either side of four nights in Kumamoto. From Kumamoto we had day trips to Mt Aso for some gentle walking and the views, Arita for the pottery including the Ceramic Museum , Kagoshima for Sengan-en Garden a trip around Sakurajima, and to the Yoshinogari Historical Park.

We're considering Hokkaido or Shikoku but neither seems to have an easy central base to travel from.

Looking at all the regional JR passes, there seem lots of possibilities - any suggestions would be welcome.

by Ausfam  

Re: Ideas for 1 week with central base 2024/3/7 01:52
Sendai, if you have not been there yet!
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5150.html

Not mentioned on the previous page:
- Hiraizumi is easily accessible: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5000.html
- Kakunodate is farther, but it only takes 1h30 by shinkansen. If you go early May, you might catch some cherry blossoms (haven't had the chance myself, as I visited in autumn)

There is a 5-days pass which could easily pay off: https://www.jreast.co.jp/multi/en/pass/eastpass_t.html
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Ideas for 1 week with central base 2024/3/7 02:24
Ah you didn't mention any date, I got mixed up with another post.

If you happen to go in autumn (November), Naruko gorge is worth a side trip, but you can skip the onsen "town". On the other hand, if you like outdoor bathing, I highly recommend Zao onsen even as a day trip, for its "dai rotenburo". In spring/summer, there are easy hikes options on mount Zao (or you can just take the cable car for the view).
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Ideas for 1 week with central base 2024/3/7 02:48
Okayama is a great home base. It is a major rail hub and has train lines heading out all over the place. Kurashiki, Himeji, Takamatsu, Bitchu Takahashi, Onomichi, and others. Even Matsuyama and Kochi are feasible. Kyoto and Osaka are also reasonable day trips. Really, the possibilities are endless. I recommend getting one of the regional passes and building an itinerary around it.

If you go there, donft miss Kibitsu Shrine. I think it is extraordinary and donft quite know why it is off the radar map for tourists, but thatfs fine with mec
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ideas for 1 week with central base 2024/3/7 06:54
As you mention Shikoku (and Hokkaido) Ifd say Takamatsu. You can visit Naoshima and Teshima , Takamatsu itself, Kotohira, IGA valley (5 days total easily)

Okayama as proposed by PP is a good place too.

In Hokkaido I am less sure about a good central place because of the vastness. (And I donft know enough about Hokkaido)
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Ideas for 1 week with central base 2024/3/7 07:15
Thanks for the ideas, all great.

I should add that we're planning to travel in late May/early June.

On previous trips we've been to Tokyo, Kyoto, Kanazawa, Toyama, Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Matsumoto, Nagoya and Nagano.
by Ausfam rate this post as useful

reply to this thread