Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Further itinerary query - Fukuoka to Tokyo 2024/3/8 22:07
Current thoughts for 31 nights in Japan before we travel to Utsunomiya for Motegi Moto GP. Needs HELP

Arrive 3 Sept 2024 in Fukuoka in morning.
2N - Fukuoka- include visit to Dazaifu
Visit to Yufuin? on train trip to:
2 N - Beppu (and make visit to Yufuin on day trip from Beppu in place of drop in?)
Visit Kitsuki on train trip via Shimonseki - is it worth a look? On way to Hagi:
1N or 2N? Hagi
Travel via Yamaguchi to :
1N - Miyajima
2 N - Hiroshima OR Stay Hiroshima 3 N & day trip to Miyajima (we have been to both before - it is all nice- did not stay at Miyajima only really saw around port area in short walking distance as was very hot in July)
1 N - Kurashiki? looks pretty.
Okayama- is this worth a drop in, using station lockers- visit on day of travel to Kyoto?
Did Himeji pitstop before- lovely Castle so will decide if to revisit.
5 N - Kyoto - maybe day trip to lake Biwa as not been and sites we missed last trip (we saw a lot but could not see all).
1 N - Nara OR 6 N Kyoto & day trip to Nara
3 N - Kanazawa
Day trip to Shirakawa from Kanazawa or visit on way to
3 N -Takayama then to support going to Matsumoto:
1 or 2 N - Nagoya on way to
1 N - Matsumoto then:
7 N - Tokyo
From Tokyo- Day trips to Kamakura & maybe Fuji 5 Lakes? as well as Nikko
OR
Would it work to take a night from Tokyo to travel to Nikko, stay 1 N minimum or 2 and then travel from there to Utsunomiya?

More 1 N stops than I would like however, thinking if travelling one way, better to not backtrack, OR maybe it doesn't matter. Used to having long travel distances in Australia. Japan not so large although I do remember some long Shinkansen rides as we travelled in 2018 from Tokyo to Nagasaki.

Anyway, some experiences & advice of others would be much appreciated. Nothing is concrete at this stage except the flights- locked in- and the Moto GP.

Many thanks

by Cocomax  

Re: Further itinerary query - Fukuoka to Tokyo 2024/3/9 03:22
As you say, too many 1N stops for my taste as well.

1N or 2N? Hagi —> would do 2N
You say you already have been in Miyajima. Just wondering if youfre u might be interested in getting the Japan Sea coast up, eg Izumo, Matsue, Tottori, Amanohashdate and then over from there to Okayama and Kyoto???

Anyway if you stay within the your current plan:

Travel via Yamaguchi to :
1N - Miyajima —> would do as daytrip to reduce hotel changes

1 N - Kurashiki? looks pretty. -> wrote t day es but it came und be done on your way between Hiroshima and Kyoto. You can even do Kurashiki and Okayama on the same day and finish in Kyoto .
And if you want to revisit Himeiji you could do as daytrip

5 N - Kyoto - maybe day trip to lake Biwa as not been and sites we missed last trip (we saw a lot but could not see all).
1 N - Nara OR 6 N Kyoto & day trip to Nara —> while I like Nara a lot I wouldnft do a hotel change for 1 N. But maybe you can add more nights to Nara, see below

3 N - Kanazawa
Day trip to Shirakawa from Kanazawa or visit on way to
3 N -Takayama then to support going to Matsumoto: —> 3 N Takayama seems oddly long in your otherwise faster moving itinerary. I am personally no fan of Takayama. Itfs not bad, but just not that extraordinary either. 1 N would do for me. You could either add those names guys somewhere along the coast of Japan or in Kansai. Or you could go on to Hirayu onsen and relax 1-2 nights in an onsen (if you like onsen)
1 or 2 N - Nagoya on way to —> is there something you want to do in Nagoya??? If not just go straight front m Takayama (or Hirayu onsen) by bus gmto Matsumoto. Gains you 2N which you can use elsewhere to slow down.

1 N - Matsumoto then:
7 N - Tokyo
From Tokyo- Day trips to Kamakura & maybe Fuji 5 Lakes? as well as Nikko
OR
Would it work to take a night from Tokyo to travel to Nikko, stay 1 N minimum or 2 and then travel from there to Utsunomiya? —> well it would work. Are you saying your trip finishes in Utsunomiya? Actually I find Nikko a bit too far and too many places to visit for doing it as a daytrip. So Ifd support the idea to spend 1-2 N there. You can potentially even get from there to Narita/Haneda or j your departure day if your flight is in late afternoon.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Further itinerary query - Fukuoka to Tokyo 2024/3/9 03:45
As suggested, if you've already been to Hiroshima & Miyajima, I question over 3 nights there. You could see Akiyoshido & Akiyoshidai between Hagi and Hiroshima - they are some very impressive places for natural beauty. Iwakuni is also worth some attention. There is more to see around Hiroshima if you wish to branch outwards. The Sandankyo Gorge makes a nice half day trip, and there is also Okunoshima (Bunny Island) if interested. The Sera Kogen Farm is also very beautiful, and if you go in dahlia season, it is something exquisite. For that you'd really need to rent a car though. Plus, to be frank, when most people say they've seen Hiroshima City, it really means they've gone to the Peace Park and blown off everything else the city offers, which is really shortchanging themselves.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Further itinerary query - Fukuoka to Tokyo 2024/3/9 04:02
Looks like a nice trip :)

One question, what do you mean by
Visit Kitsuki on train trip via Shimonseki, from Beppu? (Haven't been to either, so it's just out of curiosity).

What I would change (I prefer smaller towns):
- 2 nights in Hagi if you are arriving late and leaving early, although half a day is enough to see the "castle town".
- 2-3 nights in Miyajima, 0 in Hiroshima, day trip from Miyajima to Hiroshima.
- Kurashiki is pretty and from there you can also day trip to Takamatsu if you extend your stay

Many 1 night stays, but you know yourself best. My recent trips were also fast paced, with more 1N stops than your current planning and I did not find that too tiring.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Further itinerary query - Fukuoka to Tokyo 2024/3/9 08:32
Thanks so much all- so very helpful and I will now have a rethink taking into account all the thoughts after research as I was a bit lost with time management. I will post my next iteration after some more work for further comments.

p.s We are ending our trip in Utsumomiya, as staying there while attending Motegi Moto GP, then travelling from there to Haneda on 7 Oct for homeward journey. That's why I thought maybe Tokyo - Nikko - Utsunomiya- may be best plan, once I looked at a map more closely & realised they are geographically close- just need to investigate the transport links.
by Cocomax rate this post as useful

reply to this thread