Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

JR West online reservation limitations 2024/3/29 04:04
Hello,

I intend to by Sanyo Sanin Pass online (on the JR West website) in order to be able already book train tickets before arriving in Japan (we will be travelling during GW, with kids, so I want to make sure we have tickets on the same car).

However, there is a message on JR West website stating that I am not sure to understand (english is not my first langage):

"Limits on period for changing tickets
The JR-WEST ONLINE TRAIN RESERVATION system allows customers to change tickets
departure date up to 3 months from the day preceding the date the reservation was initially
submitted (initial payment date). However, the period for changing tickets will be limited as
outlined below.
¡ Affected customers
› Customers changing reservations between Saturday, March 16 and Tuesday, April
30, 2024
¡ Service limitations
› Changes to tickets departure date will be limited to up to 1 month from the date the
reservation was initially submitted (initial payment date) during the above period.
* Changes to tickets will not be accepted after one month from the date the reservation was
initially submitted (initial payment date) during the above period."

Does it mean that I can only change tickets is the new date is in a month after the initial date, or that I can only change my ticket if the initial travel date is at least in a month ?

For exemple : If I buy today a ticket for the 28 april, and once in Japan,the 26 april, I want to change it for another time during on the 28 april or the next day (so the 29 april), will it be possible ?

Thanks you very much.
by Klapotis  

Re: JR West online reservation limitations 2024/3/29 07:05
Here is the full context of the message (for others who may want to give it a try):
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pdf/press_20240115.pdf

If I understand it correctly, I think it refers to "buying passes" rather than to "making seat reservations". It is confusing because they use words like "reservations" and "departure dates" when - I think - they really are referring to "purchases" and "starting dates", but I am not 100% sure.

I think what it means is that you can change the starting date of your pass during only one month instead of 3 months. To be honest: I did not even know that changes to your starting date were even possible before March 16. My suspicion is that the rules changed on March 16, but the software wasn't ready, so they had to introduce this special period (until April 30).

Very confusing!

But again, I don't think it has any impact on seat reservations. These can still be made from one month before travel date.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR West online reservation limitations 2024/3/29 07:39
I didn't know you could push back the start date of the passes online either...

Some passes were either discontinued or increased in price on March 16th, and my guess is that they did not want people to extend the validity of the passes bought before that date. Putting the limitation until April 16th would have been sufficient though. But I think it also applies to tickets.

For exemple : If I buy today a ticket for the 28 april, and once in Japan,the 26 april, I want to change it for another time during on the 28 april or the next day (so the 29 april), will it be possible ?

I think you will be able to change it for April 27th, but not April 29th, because on April 28th you will still be in the "limitation period". The changes of the departure date are limited to one month after the payment date (March 28th --> April 28th). In the pdf, they give as an example March 10th and April 10th (that's the 2nd example).

They have a form for English speakers if you want a definitive answer, and they respond pretty quickly (2 days or less in my experience): https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/support/inquiry/
(Please come back and post the answer if you contact them!)
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: JR West online reservation limitations 2024/3/31 17:15
Thank you very much for your answer, at least I know I am not the only one having trouble to understand :)

I think your answer make sense Mellye, considering the sale are open one monthe before, it would not be possible to change tickets more than one month before.

I have send them and inquiry on the link you provide Mellye, I will keep you posted. I've already bought the pass, because travelling dates are set, and I will wait a little bit for the train reservations.

Have a nice day
by Klapotis rate this post as useful

Re: JR West online reservation limitations 2024/4/6 14:53
Hello,

I have received this answer :

If you complete your reservation on March 24th, changes accepted until the departure date of Apr. 24 (1 month after initial payment date)

We apologize for the complication in booking change operation.

You can reserve a reserved seat for up to 6 trains online if you purchase a "JR-WEST RAIL PASS" via JR-WEST ONLINE TRAIN RESERVATION

So the only important date is the paiement date, and I have waited a little bit to make my reservation, and not just one month before my estimated train travel just in case.

Have a nice day
by Klapotis rate this post as useful

Re: JR West online reservation limitations 2024/4/6 15:44
Thanks a lot for the update.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

reply to this thread