Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Hokkaido in summer - is an SUV needed? 2024/3/31 00:53
We plan to rent a car for 5-6 days in July to explore Shiretoko NP, Mishu lake, Daysetsuzan NP and Uryu-Numa marshland.

Will having a regular car compared to an SUV prevent us from reaching anything of interest in these areas?

Thanks in advance.
by GadiSh  

Re: Hokkaido in summer - is an SUV needed? 2024/3/31 13:21
No SUV is needed. You can get anywhere with any car, even a kei-class car.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in summer - is an SUV needed? 2024/3/31 16:28
An SUV? Not needed at all - do you think you're going off road?
I rented a Kei-car. It worked out just fine, though I must admit going up mountain roads I definitely wished the engine had a bit more power.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in summer - is an SUV needed? 2024/3/31 17:10
Last July I drove around eastern Hokkaido. I rent a cheap Toyota Raize which was fine but you should note the car navigation might take you to wrong (or inappropriate) road. This occurerd when we went from Ashoro town to On-neto lake. Basically the road is paved everywhere but this time we drove into bumped non-paved road.

Daisetsu, Shiretoko and Akan are touristic place so you don't need to worry, but as for Uryu-numa, you must walk 90 min one way from the parking lot.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in summer - is an SUV needed? 2024/3/31 17:20
Thanks all, this is helpful. And I learned what a Kei-car is :)
by GadiSh rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in summer - is an SUV needed? 2024/3/31 19:10
Last July I drove around eastern Hokkaido. I rent a cheap Toyota Raize which was fine but you should note the car navigation might take you to wrong (or inappropriate) road. This occurerd when we went from Ashoro town to On-neto lake. Basically the road is paved everywhere but this time we drove into bumped non-paved road.

Daisetsu, Shiretoko and Akan are touristic place so you don't need to worry, but as for Uryu-numa, you must walk 90 min one way from the parking lot.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread