Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

where to go during golden week 2024/4/3 13:17
I'm planning Kyushu + Tokyo for spring 2025, and flying in/out of Tokyo. The best timing that works for us is mid/late April into early May, so I know that will coincide with Golden week.

I'm wondering which would be worse during Golden week, Kyushu or Tokyo? Kyushu will be a first time visit, so we would want to see all the highlights. I've read that the major cities aren't too bad because many people go back to their hometowns.

Would appreciate any thoughts.
by jolinn  

Re: where to go during golden week 2024/4/3 15:08
Go where you want. GW isnft that bad as people make you believe. I went on holiday practically every GW and never run into incredible crowds. Just avoid the key dates at start /end for trains /travel or reserve well ahead.

Hotels can be more expensive. I myself will go to Kyushu right at the end of GW and prices are high. While in Kyoto I found hotels at better quality for much lower price for the same period. (But if weather allows I want to go to Kyushu)
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: where to go during golden week 2024/4/3 15:57
I've read that the major cities aren't too bad because many people go back to their hometowns.

This is not for Golden week, but Obon in August and year end/new year holidays. In golden week many people go to very touristic place such as Tokyo Disneyland, Arashiyama in Kyoto and even Kamikochi in Nagano for vacation. Business district is not crowded but many tourists also do not want to go there. You donft need to worry about long distant trains since you will reserve the seat. Of course if you donft reserve the seat for, say, Tokyo to Kanazawa or Fukuoka to Yufuin, you may have to stand the whole journey.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: where to go during golden week 2024/4/3 16:25
I don't think many people go back to their hometown during Golden Week.
I think many people are traveling abroad, traveling domestically for long periods of time, or spending time close to home.
I think it will be more crowded with tourists than usual on weekends, but since weekdays will be mixed in in 2025, I don't think it will be too crowded except for May 3rd to 6th.
In Kyushu, Kawachi Wisteria Garden, Hakata Dontaku, Arita Pottery Market, and Huis Ten Bosch are popular during this period.
Hakata Dontaku and Arita Pottery Market seem to be quite crowded.
https://tabi-mag.jp/gwbig10/
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: where to go during golden week 2024/4/3 17:41
I'll be travelling during GW as well. My plan is to be in Tokyo from 3rd of May till the end of GW as locals will be going out of Tokyo. I'll go to Disneyland on the 7th.
by jmisugi rate this post as useful

Re: where to go during golden week 2024/4/4 00:45
In general, do people have work/school on the days that aren't the holiday? In 2025, that would be April 28, 30, May 1, 2. I imagine it's common to just take the entire week off?
by jolinn rate this post as useful

Re: where to go during golden week 2024/4/4 01:37
It depends is the best answer. Yes, a good number of people will be off the entire week. But for example my company doesnft shut the entire week. So I will actually take the following week and my colleague will take the GW week. (Actually hefll take only 2 out of the 3 days. Hefs Japanese after all so any day not in the office for him seems to be quite inconceivable)
Also not that many people will actually travel the entire week even if they have it off completely.
From a European (specially German) perspective I am always surprised at this. As I meticulously plan my PTO days to make the most efficient use of them and will take any opportunity to travel. But Japanese are much more for short but intense travels. The prejudice about Japanese traveling to 4 European counties in3 days is true (mostly). And the travel style within Japan of many people is similar. Take a break of 1-2 nights. And return home (and to work).

I will take 2 weeks of PTO in the summer, but I donft think anyone else around me in the Japanese affiliate will do that. (Except obviously everyone who is working in Europe in my company who will take 2-3 weeks easily. )

But yes GW is totally overrated for crowds. Eg I reserved a ticket to Kumamoto for 3/May a few weeks ago before actually the official reservation period opened. And back then I didnft have a lot of choices of trains. But today when the ticket was confirmed (1 month before departure) I was easily able to change it for an earlier train. And all this for a seat with special luggage allowance
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: where to go during golden week 2024/4/4 07:30
I imagine it's common to just take the entire week off?
Those that have the luxury to do that might, but a huge proportion of the population do not have that luxury and have to work. In fact, when the Emperor stepped down five years ago and Abe "gifted" extra holidays to the country, tens of millions of people suffered badly because they had no income for those extra days.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: where to go during golden week 2024/4/4 08:15
The big cities are actually not bad during Golden Week. But Kyushu is one good choice with many good places and worth considering. The places to really avoid are the theme parks.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: where to go during golden week 2024/4/4 08:16
It's been almost 20 years since I quit my job, but it's been hard to take time off because I have to travel to Europe and the United States during Golden Week. We don't all take summer vacation at the same time, but it's still hard.
In principle, I am the only one who does my work, but while I am absent, I have to teach someone else to do the work for me. (I have already taught most of it, but it has been a while since I was asked to do the work for me last time, so I had to teach it again.)
In addition, the substitute could not rest during that period, so it was also necessary to buy a thank-you gift (not something special for the person, but for the people in the same group).
In the first place, I didn't have anyone around to take a week to 10 days off, so it was difficult for me to take a long vacation. But once I went on an overseas trip, I was able to recognize myself as that type of person in the company, so it became easier for me to go. (It started when I received a refreshment leave to commemorate my 10 years of service.) However, I don't know for sure now, but in Japanese companies, that type of person is difficult to get promoted.
In addition, on the weekdays of Golden Week, the school is the same as usual, so if you are a family, you cannot go on a long trip unless you are absent from school. Recently, it seems that the period is not treated as an absence. (Treated as a study at home)
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: where to go during golden week 2024/4/4 08:18
thanks for all the perspectives...
going to be posting my rough itinerary in a new thread
by jolinn rate this post as useful

reply to this thread