Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Short Nara and Kyoto visit 2024/4/25 11:27
Hi,
We have short time, but want to divide between both cities. We are looking for some good photographic spots. We are staying very close to Kyoto station. Based on our short time and past posts, I was able to make a rough plan like this and some questions -

Day-1 (Nara) : Take train from Kyoto station to Nara. Nara Station to Ukimido by bus or taxi. Walk to Noborioji Park (for deer) and later walk to Todai-ji Temple.
After lunch, take train back from Nara to Kyoto and get down at Fushimi Inari Shrine. After spending sometime here, back to Kyoto/hotel.
- Nara station to Ukimido is good with taxi or public transport?
- We should see deer at Noborioji Park or deer park (I was looking it at google map)?
- Would you change anything here for Day-1 ?

Day-2 (Kyoto) : Take train from Kyoto station to Arashiyama Bamboo Forest. Then visit Kinkaku-ji Temple. Next visit Nanzen-ji Temple. If still enery left then Kiyomizudera Temple and last Sanjūsangen-dō, before ending day.
- I don't see direct train from Arashiyama Bamboo Forest to Kinkaku-ji Temple. Should we take taxi here? Same with Nanzen-ji Temple too. Bus seems to be only option from Kinkaku-ji Temple to Nanzen-ji Temple.
- Will you change anything on this plan or would suggest differently?

Please advice.
Thanks
by reindeer08  

Re: Short Nara and Kyoto visit 2024/4/26 08:11
For your Day 1, I suggest you take a Kintetsu train - it gets you right next to the park; whereas the JR Nara Station is 20 minutes on foot. There is no need to take a taxi or bus to try to get to Ukimido. It's just 10 minutes on foot from the Todaiji Nandaimon. Near the Nandaimon is where you will see lots of deer - that is where a lot of people are, as well as the cracker vendors which are selling what the deer crave. They can get rather pushy when they see you with their snacks. If you can fit in seeing the Isuien & Yoshikien Gardens also there, they are definitely worth your attention.
https://youtu.be/6-Byqd2u8fM

Your Day 2 is much more troublesome - Arashiyama and Nanzenji, Kiyomizudera etc are on opposite sides of the city. Kinkakuji is also one of the more isolated temples - no rail station really close by - just buses. A taxi would be the most convenient, if you are willing to splurge a bit. But the Arashiyama Bamboo Grove is really overrated, it's open 24/7, and you are skipping a lot of really better places in Arashiyama - Gioji, Adashino Nenbutsuji (which has its own bamboo grove, much quieter and far less known to the tourist mobs), and Otagi Nenbutsuji, to name a few.
https://goo.gl/Neiowd

If you want to save some money to get from Kinkakuji to Nanzenji, you can get a taxi, go to the Kitaoji or Kuramaguchi subway station, and take the subway (changing lines at Karamasuma-Oike) to Keage Station instead of dashing across the whole city. In addition to Nanzenji, you also might visit the nice Nanzenin Garden and Tenjuan subtemple there - both are gorgeous and don't take long.
https://youtu.be/7JGGHN6PKAI
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Short Nara and Kyoto visit 2024/4/26 11:08
Day 2 is way too much for one day. I'd would bother with Kiyomizudera, as it is the opposite side of the city to the others.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Short Nara and Kyoto visit 2024/4/26 11:27
Thanks you for your suggestions , will follow
by reindeer08 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread