Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Expat life in Hirakata? (teachers) 2024/4/26 18:15
Hello, I am considering a job teaching English in Hirakata and I was wondering what expat life is like there. I know it's a university town, half way between Osaka and Kyoto. There's lots of info online about student life, but I'm curious about what is like to live there as a foreign working professional. Are there any English teachers on here? TIA.
by Paula (guest)  

Re: Expat life in Hirakata? (teachers) 2024/4/27 10:56
Is it a university job that you are considering?
by Dunit (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Expat life in Hirakata? (teachers) 2024/4/27 21:39
"Teaching English" on peanuts salary won't make you an expat.
Do you even know what "teaching English" in Japan is?
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Expat life in Hirakata? (teachers) 2024/4/27 22:30
Yes, it's a university job, the salary is not peanuts, and the definition of an expat is a person who lives outside their country.
by Paula (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Expat life in Hirakata? (teachers) 2024/4/27 22:58
Hirakata is a commuter city. many people in there go to Osaka (or some go to Kyoto) to work. it is convenient for living.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Expat life in Hirakata? (teachers) 2024/4/28 15:14
The good point of living and working in Hirakata would be the short commuting time. However, something to consider is the many of your students would live in Hirakata, and have part time jobs in Hirakata, so even after work and on weekends if you went to a supermarket, cafe, restaurant, etc, you would be constantly encountering your students. It depends on your personality, but some teachers find this draining. Also because students love to gossip you might find it intruding on your private life.
by Dunit (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Expat life in Hirakata? (teachers) 2024/4/28 23:29
「However, something to consider is the many of your students would live in Hirakata, and have part time jobs in Hirakata, so even after work and on weekends if you went to a supermarket, cafe, restaurant, etc, you would be constantly encountering your students. 」
Hirakata has a population of almost 400,000 people, doesn't it? Unless the OP is doing all of their shopping and socializing in the area right around campus, I doubt they'll be "constantly" running into their students.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread