Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

hakone, ryokan, onsens 2005/9/12 08:37
I was wanting to experience a hot spring and see more 'natural' Japan and stay in a ryokan all in the 1 go (just for 1 night) and wondering is Hakone the best place for this?

Can you recommend any reasonably priced places which would suit my needs (2 adults)?

And do you know any reasonably priced ryokans which have private baths in Hakone?

Can I travel within Hakone using Japan Rail pass?

Last questions! What's the best way to get to Hakone from Shinjuku?

by Jess  

... 2005/9/12 10:37
I was wanting to experience a hot spring and see more 'natural' Japan and stay in a ryokan all in the 1 go (just for 1 night) and wondering is Hakone the best place for this?

From Tokyo? Yes, Hakone is one of the easiest accessible places from Tokyo to have a nice onsen experience in combination with nice nature.

Can I travel within Hakone using Japan Rail pass?

No. Inside the Hakone region, transportation is provided by companies other than JR. To use them, a Hakone Free Pass is recommended:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html

What's the best way to get to Hakone from Shinjuku?

By direct trains of Odakyu Railways. The round trip from Shinjuku can be included in the above mentioned Hakone Free Pass.

However, if you have a Japan Rail Pass, you can save some money by getting from Tokyo to Odawara by JR trains and then use a Hakone Free Pass from Odawara.

In order to get from Shinjuku to Odawara by JR trains, take either a direct train on the Shinjuku Shonan Line or take the Tokaido Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Odawara Station (take orange Chuo Line from Shinjuku to Tokyo).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Senkei Hotel - Ryokan 2006/2/22 11:41
Has anyone stayed at Senkei Hotel Ryokan? It looks great on their internet site, but am just wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience there. Thanks.
by John rate this post as useful

... 2006/2/22 19:36
Uji, which is quicker/better:
- direct train on the Shinjuku Shonan Line to Odawara
- Tokaido Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Odawara Station (take orange Chuo Line from Shinjuku to Tokyo)

Thanks

by selwood rate this post as useful

Shinjuku Odawara 2006/2/22 21:35
JR Shonan line: direct train 1.34 h Yen 1440, Odakyu line: direct train nearly same but only Yen 850.
Shinjuku - JR Chuo 20 min
Tokyo 10 min transfer - JR shinkansen 30 min Odawara total around 1 h Yen 3700 paid or free with JR Pass.
by Peter rate this post as useful

... 2006/2/23 12:19
- direct train on the Shinjuku Shonan Line to Odawara

As for pure travel time (assuming a good connection at Tokyo station), the shinkansen version is slightly faster (60 vs. 80 minutes). But with a bad connection, it is basically about the same.

Then again, there is only about one direct train on the Shonan-Shinjuku Line to Odawara per hour, compared to two shinkansen connections. Furthermore, the Shonan-Shinjuku Line is one of the most unreliable train lines in Japan, frequently being affected by delays due to accidents and technical troubles.

If you have the Japan Rail Pass, I recommend to take the shinkansen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Any reviews of Senkei Plaza Inn 2007/10/2 11:17
hi any reviews about the above ryoken @ hakone??

Thanks!!
by Joyce rate this post as useful

reply to this thread