Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Guide Book Optimal for Okinawa? 2005/9/26 21:30
I've been researching about guide books on Okinawa, but I haven't found one in English or in my native language so far. I have found three guide books about Japan:

1) Lonely Planet (will be available in my native language, but it seems there are some errors in it - at least there are errors in previous editions)

2) The Rough Guide to Japan by Simon Richmond (Contains a chapter on Okinawa, but how long and detailed is it?)

3) Japan (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides) by John Benson (recommended by a Japanese at Amazon Japan for understanding Japanese culture, well that's nice, but having lived in Japan for more than three years I should be able to understand Japanese mentality and culture)

Which of these books has most detailed practical information (e. g. bus connections, access information, maps, resort hotels where visitors who do not stay can dive, diving shops that cater to foreigners and are accessable by bus or monorail, accomodations open to foreign individual tourists) about Okinawa? Based on comments by readers at Amazon, I think all three books are very good.

Does anyone know Japanese guide books about Okinawa that are easy to read and focus on practical information? I speak Japanese, but reading long historical explanations costs a bit too much time.
by OkinawaDolphin  

... 2005/9/27 10:20
The newest edition of Lonely Planet is coming out on October 1, 2005, so that will probably be quite up-to-date, although I am not sure when they most recently updated the Okinawa section.

The Rough Guide's newest edition dates from January 2005. Both, the Rough Guide and Lonely Planet are usually very similar with good, detaied practical information. The Lonely Planet has usually the better budget accommodation listings.

If you are looking for practical data, I strongly recommend not to buy the Eyewitness Guide on Japan, because it focuses on nice pictures and superficial introductions of sights rather than practical details.

There are other books like Fodor's Japan and Let's Go Japan, but Lonely Planet and the Rough Guide are usually the better choice, especially for budget travelers.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2005/9/27 10:21
Also, here is some online information on Okinawa:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1247.html

Lonely Planet and Mapple Book Okinawa 2005/9/29 02:59
Today I found an exemplar of an older edition of Lonely Planet Japan in a book store and looked into the chapter about Okinawa. My impression was bad because of the following reasons:

1) The Ocean Expo Park was mentioned, but the emerald beach of Ocean Expo Park, that has coin lockers, wasn't. There are a lot of beaches on Okinawa Main Island, so it isn't necessary to go to the Yaeyama islands to bath in the sea.

2) It was written that Ocean Expo Park can be accessed by Bus No 70 from Nago, but Nago has a lot of bus stops. Did the author mean "Nago Bus Terminal"? It was mentioned that it is also possible to take to loop line buses, but these loop lines weren't specified. The buses that stop at Kinen Koen Mae are infrequent so it would be nice to hear when the first bus departs from Nago Bus Terminal and when the last, and for safety reasons the bus before the last, bus departs from Kinen Koen Mae. Of course it should be clearly specified that Kinen Koen Mae is the bus stop nearest to the Ocean Expo Park.

3) The possibility to swim, snorkel and dive at the beaches of most, if not all, resort hotels in Onna Village and Nago wasn't mentioned. At least I didn't see a hint.

4) For diving only Fathom's and a diving shop somewhere on the Yaeyama islands were mentioned. But these are not the only places a tourist can dive at. When I am in Japan I like to meet Japanese people. Therefore, I prefer a diving shop where most staffs and customers are Japanese. At least I would like to know about resort hotels diving is offered at and/ or easily accessable diving shops.

I don't know if the new edition will contain more detailed information about Okinawa. If not, I might hesitate to buy it. The ways on and between the islands of Okinawa are long, so I prefer to stay at a hotel near to most places I would like to go to - especially the resort or diving shop I am going to dive at.

Can I find my way around Okinawa with Lonely Planet alone or do I still need a map or a Japanese guide book such as Mapple or Rurubu? When I travelled to Okinawa for the first time I found the Mapple Book Okinawa useful for finding the way to the places I went to. The great disadvantage was the fact that it wasn't specified on which lines the buses are frequent and on which they are unfrequent. Unfortunately it didn't help me much to decide where to go and where to stay.
by OkinawaDolphin rate this post as useful

... 2005/9/29 17:21
I don't know if the new edition will contain more detailed information about Okinawa.

I am afraid that you will be disappointed by any other English guide book on Japan if you expect such a degree of details to be mentioned. Again, in terms of details, Lonely Planet usually beats the rest.

Let's take the example of bus information to the Expo Ocean Park:

The Rough Guide does mention the buses running to Nago Bus Terminal but has no word about buses serving the Motobu Peninsula.

Fodor's mentions the bus number to take to the Expo Park, price and travel duration, but no word about frequency of departures.

Let's Go Japan introduces the Expo Park only in a suggested driving route section. No mention about public transport.

And the Eyewitness Guide only mentions the name of the closest bus station.

Compared to the above, the Lonely Planet in its 8th edition (2003) mentions the circular bus lines, bus numbers, and travel cost.

I have not heard yet of an English guide book that solely covers Okinawa in great detail.

So what is the Best Japanese Guide Book? 2005/10/16 17:41
I see. There isn't anything better than Lonely Planet or Rough Guide in English when it comes to Okinawa. Are there maps of the bus routes in Lonely Planet or Rough Guide?

It seems that I have to take a Japanese guide book to find my way around Okinawa. Can anyone recommend a good Japanese travel guide about Okinawa? Or are there any detailed pamphlets at Naha airport?
by OkinawaDolphin rate this post as useful

rent a car! 2005/10/16 19:51
you will find general information at naha airport. search online for reports on okinawa and maps. as far as transport goes? rent a car. i cannot tell you enough just how important this is. public transport is an option but if you want more freedom and less hassle get an international drivers license and rent a car. the navigation systems will help u somewhat. once u get there you can visit areas nearby american army bases for detailed maps or better yet - on base!
by momo chan rate this post as useful

Okinawa Explorer, A complete guidebook 2007/9/15 08:37
In order to help visitors plan a wonderful trip to Okinawa, the Okinawa Explorer first provides background information about local customs, language, public transportation, costs, and much more. There is also an easy to follow Navigation section that enables visitors to choose the best locations for enjoying what interests them the most.

Review: (From Okinawa Prefecture)
We are so pleased to finally have a book we can recommend to those living here and definitely to those coming to visit Okinawa. It is the perfect guidebook for families and those here traveling by themselves --2004, JET Program Section http://okinawaexplorer.com/index.html
by Gil Gonzalez rate this post as useful

The Island Guide 2007/11/6 21:42
I recommend checking out "The Island Guide" at www.okinawaindex.com
by OkiDiving rate this post as useful

best guide 2007/11/7 03:17
best guide is to ask someone who has been to okinawa....like this forum...i haven;t been there but i am looking to visit real soon.....like next yr...
by i love japan rate this post as useful

Virtual Ginza 2007/11/7 05:06
This link:

http://www.virtualginza.com/okinawa.htm?japan3.htm

has a wealth of information on Okinawa and the surrounding islands. He has some good info on dive spots (many are somewhat remote and difficult to find) and harmful marine life. The website is entertaining also.
by Paul rate this post as useful

Oh, yeah 2007/11/7 05:09
I've been there, too. Tokashika and Zamami in the Keramas (3,500 yen round trip on the high speed ferry out of Naha Tomari port) have some beautiful beaches and plentiful dive sites. The villages are quaint, locals are very friendly, and the food is good.
by Paul rate this post as useful

English Guide Books for Okinawa 2007/12/11 23:05
Okinawa Explorer and Okinawa Island Guide are the best sources for guide books in English. You can purchase them both online. www.okinawaexplorer.com,
and order the 2008-2009 Okinawa Island Guide from me for $15.
by Saltwater Fishing Okinawa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread