Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how far is shizouka from tokyo? 2005/10/27 13:58
how far is shizouka from tokyo? how can i reach it if i come from abroad? is there any international airport in shizouka?
thank you for the response.
by desi rahma  

.. 2005/10/28 13:13
Its like a 4-6 hour drive depending on traffic. If you take the Bullet train it is about 4 hours.
by .. rate this post as useful

... 2005/10/28 13:15
Shizuoka City is about 180 kilometers west of Tokyo.

Below is travel time/cost from the three major airports to Shizuoka City, using the bullet train:

From Tokyo's Narita Airport: 2.5 hours, 9000 Yen
From Nagoya's Chubu Airport: 1.5 hours, 7500 Yen
From Osaka's Kansai Airport: 3 hours, 12,000 Yen
by Uji rate this post as useful

shizouka from tokyo 2008/8/13 15:38
it should only take up to 60mins by bullet train
by derry wright rate this post as useful

Not that far away... 2008/8/13 19:02
"Its like a 4-6 hour drive depending on traffic. If you take the Bullet train it is about 4 hours."

Both these estimations are way too long. Perhaps if you are stuck in holiday traffic all the way down it might take that long by car, and given that the bullet train travels at over 200km/h, it is obviously going to be faster than driving! 4 hours on the bullet train almost gets you to Hiroshima.
by Sira rate this post as useful

wow 2008/8/13 19:07
Haha, "4-6 hours by car depending on traffic or 4 hrs by bullet train." I had to laugh when I saw that one. If that were really the case, it's time to rename the bullet train to something else.

Anyways, 60-90 minutes on the bullet train from Tokyo depending on whether you take Hikari or Kodama (stops at every station in between)
by Dan rate this post as useful

to Shizuoka 2008/8/14 05:17
TOKYO(09:03)-SHIZUOKA(10:06)/
180.2 km /6380 / 1hour 03min
I got the info from www.Hyperdia.com and that was with the Hikari, the medium speed Shinkansen, as the faster Nozomi may not stop there. Please note that the correct name is Shinkansen, NOT bullet train.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

a bullet train by any other name... 2008/8/14 08:11
The problem is, to most people outside of Japan the word shinkansen is completely meaningless, therefore it's a waste of time to use it, even if it is the correct word.

There is nothing wrong with "bullet train", it has been called that in English for decades.
by SHU rate this post as useful

just to get technical 2008/8/14 10:34
From Merriam-Webster's online dictionary:

Bullet train: a high-speed passenger train especially of Japan

So yes, I was correct in using that term.
by Dan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread