Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is the last name Yado japanese? 2006/1/14 05:29
i've been trying to figure out where my last name comes from but i can never find it.
by Alejandra Yado  

possible, but... 2006/1/16 11:46
Is the last name Yado japanese?
i've been trying to figure out where my last name comes from but i can never find it.

Family name ''Yado'' could be Japanese origin, but without any additional information, it is difficult to tell yes or no.

Judging from just sounds can be dangerous, as there are too many coincidence - for example, I know a person from Italy whose family name is ''Noto''. We do have a family name ''Noto'' in Japanese, but it is an Italian name and her family has nothing to do with Japanese.

Though ''Yado'' is a possible combination of sounds as a Japanese family name, it certainly is not a popular one - that is, ''if'' such a name actually exist. If it is ''Yabe'' ''Yata'' ''Yada'', then the possibility is bigger.

One of the possible kanji for ''Yado'' that I can think of is 矢戸. But as far as I checked the internet, normally this combination is pronounced ''Yato'', not ''Yado''.

Personally I do not think ''Yado'' is a Japanese family name, but again, I cannot tell with much confidence because of lack of information.

I hope the above is of some help, and hope you can find out the ''roots'' of your family name. :)
by usako rate this post as useful

My grandmother's last name... 2007/10/19 06:07
This is also my grandmother's second last name, meaning it's my great-grandmother's name, and as far as I know, she was Mexican, though she traveled a lot and could have some native or Jewish heritage, although Jews that came to America changed their last names to Spanish last names, so it could be an old Spanish surname.
by Mina rate this post as useful

Probably not Japanese 2007/10/19 08:33
It sounds Spanish to me, especially since your first name is Hispanic it seems likely it would be an old Spanish name.

Yado is a word in Japanese meaning "lodging" but I've never come across it as a surname.

It would be really unlikely that you have Japanese heritage without knowing it- your grandfather, great grandfather etc would have to be Japanese. Prior to about 100 years ago the Japanese didn't really emigrate as their country was closed- nobody was allowed in or out, so I doubt you have a Japanese ancestor that you don't know about.
by Sira rate this post as useful

a little bit off the topic... 2007/10/19 19:31
This is just a side note out of interest because someone brought up the topic of the word Yado, meaning `hotel` in Japanese as a surname. Unfortunately the following won`t help you in finding the roots of you name, but it may amuse some of the people who read this board regularly.

A former customer of mine through work here in Japan would always initiate her emails as `東京大学の宿です` which basically means `This is an email from the Tokyo University Hotel` and is pronounced in Japanese `Tokyo Daigaku no Yado desu.` Many of my Japanese co-workers chuckled over this because in real life there is no Tokyo University Hotel. Infact she was a university student at Tokyo University and she was Chinese (where the name 宿 is used as a surname), but pronounced Xu, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I really doubt that there would be any connection between some one of Chinese decent using the Japanese pronounciation of their name a 100 years ago in Latin America, but good luck in your search.
by kanji rate this post as useful

Re: Is the last name Yado japanese? 2015/12/16 12:15
To add some insight, since I am the person who originally inquired almost ten years ago now; I found out that my grandfather is of Asian descent.

We (my sister and I) have also found a Yado Facebook page where many people with the same surname are also trying to find their roots. It's really neat. There are Japanese families on there, Brazilian, Filipino and Mexican families as well. Some are mixed (Japanese and Brazilian, Filipino and Mexican, and other variations).
by Alejandra Yado (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread