Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Winter in Kusatsu 2006/6/23 23:30
Hi!

I plan to visit Kusatsu during end-December. Are Kusatsu-Shirane Volcano and Lake Yugama still accessible for viewing at this time of the year? If so, are there any transport to these sites? I do not plan to drive on my own.

I also plan to visit either Yudanaka or Fukiware Falls (whichever is more convenient and accessible) on the same day as Kusatsu. Hope someone can advise me whether this is a possible route and what are the modes of transport to get there (besides driving on my own)?
by Christina  

... 2006/6/24 10:43
Are Kusatsu-Shirane Volcano and Lake Yugama still accessible for viewing at this time of the year?

The season for viewing the area is until late November, although theoretically I believe there are no fences to hold you from entering the area. By December, the surrounding area has turned into ski slopes.

In December, I think it is somewhat impractical to visit either places on the same day as Kusatsu by using public transportation.

The direct buses between Kusatsu and Yudanaka do not operate in winter. So, you would have to make a time-consuming detour via Karuizawa.

And getting from Kusatsu to the Fukiware Falls is also time-consuming. First a bus to Naganohara, then a train to Shibukawa, then another train to Numata and then a bus to the falls. The one way trip takes about 4 hours.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Shinkansen 2006/6/24 13:45
I will be purchasing the Japan Rail Pass. If I travel by means of shinkansen and limited express trains, will that shorten the travelling time from kusatsu to fukiware falls by half? Will I be able to cover both Fukiware falls and Kusatsu if I set out extremely early from Tokyo like 6 a.m.?

Do you know where I can find the bus schedule (for the month of Decemeber) for the following routes:
1) Naganohara station to Kusatsu Onsen (both ways)
2) Jomokogen station to Oigami Onsen (both ways)
3) Oigami Onsen to Fukiware falls (both ways)

Really appreciate your help Uji! =)

by Christina rate this post as useful

... 2006/6/24 17:13
If I travel by means of shinkansen and limited express trains, will that shorten the travelling time from kusatsu to fukiware falls by half?

There are no shinkansen trains between Kusatsu and Fukiware Falls. But there are infrequent limited express trains, which could save you about 20 minutes. So, basically, the express trains will not considerably reduce the travel time.

Will I be able to cover both Fukiware falls and Kusatsu if I set out extremely early from Tokyo like 6 a.m.?

Yes, it is possible, but you would be spending a lot of time of your day in buses and trains rather than enjoying thebaths and other attractions of Kusatsu. Fukiware Falls is nice, but personally, I think it is not worth the effort involved in going there. If you have only one day, I recommend to go just to Kusatsu. And, if possible, overnight at an onsen ryokan in Kusatsu (and maybe visit the falls on the second day).

Do you know where I can find the bus schedule (for the month of Decemeber) for the following routes:

The exact timetables for December are not published yet.

1) Naganohara station to Kusatsu Onsen (both ways)

There are one or more buses per hour, usually well coordinated with the arrival of trains.

Here is the current timetable (I doubt that the winter timetable will be drastically different):

In direction of Kusatsu:
http://www.jrbuskanto.co.jp/mn/cjj0450011_1.html

In direction of Naganohara:
http://www.jrbuskanto.co.jp/mn/cjj0450012_1.html

’·–μŒ΄‘’ΓŒϋ means Naganohara Kusatsuguchi Station
‘’Γ‰·ςi’…jmeans Kusatsu Onsen (arrival)

2) Jomokogen station to Oigami Onsen (both ways)
3) Oigami Onsen to Fukiware falls (both ways)

The same bus line connects Jomokogen with Numata, Oigami Onsen and the Fukiware Falls. Note, however, that Jomokogen Station is only served by shinkansen trains. If you go from Naganohara-Kusatsuguchi to Oigami, the shinkansen via Takasaki will be much slower than non-shinkansen trains via Shibukawa to Numata Station. Therefore, you better go to Numata and catch the bus from Numata.

Here is the summer timetable (I doubt that the winter timetable will be drastically different):

In direction of Oigami:
http://www.kan-etsu.net/r-bus/timetable/numata-kamata-1.htm

In direction of Numata:
http://www.kan-etsu.net/r-bus/timetable/kamata-numata-1.htm

γ–э‚Œ΄‰w means Jomo Kogen Station
ΐ“c‰w means Numata Station
˜V_‰·ς means Oigami Onsen
Š„‚Μ‘κ means Fukiware Falls

Like to Ask on Fukiware Falls & kusatsu 2008/1/22 02:39
The question was posted long ago so I'm not sure are the informations still valid??

I will be using the Rail pass and am only inerested in going Fukiware Falls and Kusatsu. What is the best route to take? How much time will it take to finish both locations?

I'm leaving from Tokyo. Can I skip Oigami Onsen? Is it better to go Fukiware Falls 1st or Kusatsu 1st? I'm also thinking of finishing it in 1 day.

Are there some cheap and good accomodations at Kusatsu you would recommend?(most that I've seen cost about 10000 yen per pax)
by Helen rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/22 06:17
The question was posted long ago so I'm not sure are the informations still valid??

Still valid.

What is the best route to take?

Ueno (Tokyo) - (limited express train) - Naganohara-Kusatsuguchi - (frequent buses) - Kusatsu (overnight) - (bus) - Naganohara-Kusatsuguchi - (train) - Shibukawa - (train) - Numata - (bus) - Fukiware falls - (bus) - Jomokogen - (shinkansen) - Tokyo

All transportation except the bus to Fukiware falls, is covered by the Japan Rail Pass.

How much time will it take to finish both locations?

I recommend at least two days.

Can I skip Oigami Onsen?

Yes!

Is it better to go Fukiware Falls 1st or Kusatsu 1st?

It does not matter. You can do the above suffested route in the opposite direction.

reply to this thread