Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sunrise Izumo - nobinobi seat 2006/6/26 01:19
Hello,
I plan to go from Tokyo to Okayama on the sunrise izumo night train. I will have the JRPass and plan to take the free nobinobi seat. As I understand, it is not possible to make a reservation until I exchange the voucher for the actual pass? If I reserve the seat only 3 days ahead (end of august), is it likely the train will be booked? How many people sleep together in such a compartement? Does it get cold/need something to cover?
Thanx, Ursa {can't wait:}
by Ursa  

... 2006/6/26 13:55
As I understand, it is not possible to make a reservation until I exchange the voucher for the actual pass?

A forum user, who resides in Japan, has reported that he was was able to make reservations for a Japan Rail Pass user in advance, and the pass user later picked up the tickets by showing the rail pass. So, if you have a friend in Japan yu could ask a favor, it could be possible.

Otherwise, I think it is not possible to make reservations until you arrive in Japan.

If I reserve the seat only 3 days ahead (end of august), is it likely the train will be booked?

It seems to be quite a popular train, especially the relatively cheap nobi nobi seats. End of August is end of the summer holidays, so I think there is a certain risk that the nobi nobi seats will be booked out three days before departure date.

How many people sleep together in such a compartement?

This is how it looks:
http://homepage1.nifty.com/hodo/burutore/s_izumo/seat/sisse_01.htm
http://homepage1.nifty.com/hodo/burutore/s_izumo/seat/sisse_02.htm
http://homepage1.nifty.com/hodo/burutore/s_izumo/seat/sisse_03.htm

There are 28 such nobi nobi "seats" per waggon.

Does it get cold/need something to cover?

Not sure. Blankets seem to be provided.
by Uji rate this post as useful

:) 2006/6/29 02:46
Uji,
Thankx a million for all the answers!
by ursa rate this post as useful

Nobi Nobi train booking and availability 2008/10/24 09:26
Hi,

We're going to Japan on Nov. 4 and there are 4 adults and 4 kids in our group. We plan to take the nobimobi train to Tokyo via the nobi nobi trains either on Nov 5 or 6 and from Tokyo to Kyoto on Nov. 9. We have already purchased our 7-day JR passes.
#1 What are our chances in getting seats on these dates?
We don't mind if we don't stay together.
#2 If not, can you suggest anything?

#3 Can I also confirm that JR West tickets can be purchased IN Japan? One travel agent here in Sydney advised that you can't purchase them while in Japan but I found so many topics in your forum suggesting otherwise.

Thanks!
-april
by April rate this post as useful

Nobinobi seats 2008/10/24 09:41
April,

#1 What are our chances in getting seats on these dates?

The Sunrise trains don't stop at Kyoto, so I'm afraid this is a non-starter.

#2 If not, can you suggest anything?

Take the shinkansen during the daytime. (About 2 hrs 40 mins by "Hikari" services)

#3 Can I also confirm that JR West tickets can be purchased IN Japan? One travel agent here in Sydney advised that you can't purchase them while in Japan but I found so many topics in your forum suggesting otherwise.

The JR West site says that it can be bought within Japan...
http://www.westjr.co.jp/english/travel/jrp/index.html
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/24 11:23
I was in Japan early oct and was able to book the nobinobi.
Since you are a group of 8, I suggest try Sunrise Izumo and Sunrise Seto. 2 trains go to the same direct and split at Okayama. I also suggest when you book your tickets, try to book the whole trip from Tokyo to Isumo or from Toyko to Takayama. This make a difference. Regarding the train won't be stopping by Kyoto, you can get off at Hemiji and back track by hikari to osaka and kyoto. Very simple.
by lester rate this post as useful

reply to this thread