Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

my visa got denied 2006/7/16 04:41
My bf who is a US citizen and works for US govt in Okinawa, and i am a filipina, just last month we applied for a visiting visa under SOFA status, we did submitted all the requirements listed on the checklist that i got from the consular office here in my country, my bf is the one shouldering all the expenses for my travel, so to our suprise, i got a notice from the consular office that my application is denied, i really don't know what went wrong?
by emily  

Visa denied 2006/7/16 12:06
Emily,

I would have thought that the only way to find out the real reason would be to contact the consular office. But if you want a layman's opinion from someone not familiar with the SOFA details, the fact that you have no legal ties to your boyfriend at the end of the day makes your situation little different from any other Philippine woman wanting to move to Japan.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

- 2006/7/16 12:13
the consular office wont disclose any information about the denial, which is the bad thing, at least they could have even told us what was the reason so we can correct any next time we apply after 3 months.
by emily rate this post as useful

. 2006/7/16 12:42
Try applying for a "regular" visitors visa.

I'm not too familiar with SOFA, but you not being a relative or married or a dependent child of the mentioned individual might be a reason.
by .. rate this post as useful

Get married 2006/7/16 17:18
Things will be a lot easier after you get married to your boyfriend. It sounds like your boyfriend is in the US army, would his boss consider adding a letter to your visa application stating that your relation is real? Japan, like many other countries is cracking down on illegal aliens and the reasons for visa denial are quite random. A letter from the US army or a Japanese company would certainly help.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

my2cents 2006/7/16 22:05
Yes, the others are correct, SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement) only pertains to the U.S. military and their dependents in Japan. Since you are not married, you would not be eligible to get SOFA status.

Even if your boyfriend could get a letter from his command (which I seriously doubt), you would still be ineligible (because you are not his wife).

You need to apply for a tourist visa or whatever is applicable for you, as a regular person wanting to come to Japan.

Good Luck to you.....
by AFwife rate this post as useful

thanks 2006/7/17 02:32
thanks very much for your advices and insights...

i personally went to the consular to get the list of requirements before we applied for the visa, and the woman from the visa section gave me that checklist under visiting friends in US military, i thorough explain to her that i am just visiting and i can't stay long because i have work too, and she gave me that requirements. but anyhow, i am applying for the tourist visa this September as per advise in the visa section.

as for getting married, yes we do plan to get married anytime later next year or no fix date yet.

Thanks again for all your opinion..

Visa 2006/8/15 17:24
Hi, I am in US military in Japan. My girlfriend is in PI, but she wants to visit me here. my question where do we start? she has been trying to get info but not sure it accurate. I am hear there is no fiancee visa but how long and expensive is a tourist visa? thnks for your time!
by Joe rate this post as useful

visa fee 2006/8/15 17:29
Joe,

the visa fee is free if you are not going to have plans in having a multiple visa entry.

good luck and have your gf apply the visa then.

. 2006/8/16 03:42
The place for her to start is by contacting the Japanese Embassy/Counsulate in the Phillipines.
by . rate this post as useful

hi emily! i read what happened 2007/2/1 23:59
hi emily! i read what happened to u about visiting ur bf in Japan. is he a US Navy also? what happened to u now, did u got a tourist visa? is it approved by japanese embassy?
im curious coz next week ill gonna apply w/ the same visa(SOFA status). is it expensive to have a tourist visa? how much will it cost?
by angel rate this post as useful

my visa got approved 2007/2/22 11:52
tnx God my visa got approved as a temporary visitor for 15 days(SOFA status). i dnt knw what happened on others why they got denied. I just submitted all the requirements needed. Maybe u requested to stay there for a month or more. I recommend to u that just be honest(answer directly) and pray alot.
by angel rate this post as useful

. 2007/2/22 12:09
Angel whats your nationality?
by John rate this post as useful

Filipino 2007/2/25 17:51
Filipino
by Angel rate this post as useful

wow 2007/2/28 18:48
Well my fiancee's visa got denied, with no reason. so frustrating cuz i had all the correct paper work n more. can i ask wat your age is & wat did you put for reason for visit/daily activities? was ur sponsor japnese or american? thanks
by joe rate this post as useful

Hi John 2007/2/28 20:24
Im 27 and my reason was to visit my BF in Japan and some tours around the place.
He is a US Navy(American).

Maybe ur fiancee planned to stay in Japan for more than a month? I recommend that she should just stay there for 15 days or less.

Did u met in person? Ur a US Navy also? Hmmmm... Maybe there is something to do w/ ur rank/rate in military also.

Im just surprised i got a visa going there in April coz its impossible. I just submitted all the papers and proof of our relationship. I didnt even show them my bank account. (I have it then in case they would ask). Actually, they asked me a lot of questions in the embassy. And corrected me....coz in my application and i told her that the person i will visit in Japan is my FRIEND. But when she saw our pix......she said FRIEND or BOYFRIEND. Huh! SO i was surprised then to got a visa.

visa approved 2007/4/23 13:57
At last i had my visa, and i am here in Japan for a vacation with my fiance.

I figure it out now why my visa got denied it was just the picture size that made it disapproved.

I am given a 60 days stay and i never had any appearance in the embassy and there no were no further questions from them they just requested my passport and 4 days after there i got my visa.

For denials i believe some are just for minor details that were overlooked, but i don't know how they really investigate your application.

and now im in Japan, i am really having a good time, i love everything here...i am enjoying it a lot.

It is not about the rank of your bf or fiance or whoever it is that invites you (as what i have read on the previous thread, for me that is so off how about those low ranking personnel, they are also eligible to invite someone they wanted to invite), it is how truthful you are for the information you are giving to the government of Japan.
by Emily rate this post as useful

Hi Emily 2007/5/3 14:42
Congrats to u Emily! We'll im already back here in the Phil after my 2 week vacation in Japan. Enjoy ur stay there.

these are the procedures 2007/5/8 14:52
these are the requirements

1. statement of service (signed by the legitimate commanding officer with company seal
2. letter of invitation from your fiancee (this is done by notary person with designated authority 10 U.S.C 1044ab with seal of notary
3. letter of guarantee (include the complete address of you fiancee there and phone nos.
4. affidavit of support
5. affidavit of competency to marry
6. iteneraries (daily scheduled in japan)
7. zerox passport of your fiancee, all pages
8. military ID of your fiancee
9. summary (where did he meet you)
all of these documents should bear the seal of notary public. 10 USC 1044a. if you still confused email me at malcomz2002@yahoo.com and i will help you.
by noel rate this post as useful

to joe... 2007/5/8 14:59
dear joe,

i have already posted the most complete documents that you need if you invite your fiancee, supposedly is for emily, but i learned that she had already her visa, just remember that if you want to invite your fiancee it should not be long. 15 days will be great... email me if you have some question regarding tourist fiancee visa.. goodluck!
by noel g. servillon rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

reply to this thread