Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

Chopsticks....necessary? 2006/10/6 06:36
Ive been trying to learn to eat with chopstichks for a few months now as preperation for my trip to Japan (now a few weeks away), and I just cant get the hang of it.

I know how to hold them, but the food just spills, falls, slips etc. I manage to get small pieces of meat but it takes so slow that eating becomes a pain.

So I was wondering, when eating at a restaurant, shop, and I ask for a spoon/fork/knife, is that considered rude? And if I take my own utensils and use them, will I get stared at like I just killed a cat?

I tried, but me and chopsticks just aint gonna happen :(
by Talentless obviously  

Chopsticks 2006/10/10 18:49
My brother was like that before he visited Japan but he managed to get the hang of it real quickly after arrival in Japan. Are you using Japanese chopsticks or Chinese chopsticks when practicing? I find the pointy Japanese chopsticks much easier to use. Even if it is one of the things you should not do with chopsticks, try spearing the things you find difficult to handle.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Chopstick-challenged 2006/10/10 19:15
Talentless,

I would agree with Kappa and suggest that you persevere a bit more, but in answer to your questions...

It depends on the type of restaurant, but you shouldn't expect them to necessarily have a supply of knives and forks, as many don't. I have been in one place where the owner rushed out from the kitchen with a spoon and fork despite the fact that I was having no particular problems enjoying my udon with chopsticks. Conversely I have been to restaurants with parties of old folk from overseas (no, not my parents!) where the staff were not able to provide alternatives when asked.
In answer to your second question about using your own utensils, no I don't think it would be considered at all rude. If you really think you cannot cope with chopsticks then I would recommend carrying around your own set of utensils wrapped in a paper towel or something.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

me too 2006/10/10 23:12
I also am
chopstick- challenged but find that almost all places you will eat (even some private homes) you will be given disposable chopsticks(the oens you have to break apart before you use them). These are WAY easier to use than any other chopsticks. The food seems to kind of stick to them automatically.
Don't worry - you won't starve!
by Rin-chan rate this post as useful

. 2006/10/11 00:55
I get cramps using chopsticks.. especially when they're thin slender ones. Although on a good day I could use it no problems.

My hand hurts just thinking about it.. ouch
by Rouge rate this post as useful

.. 2006/10/11 02:39
Just curious how have you been trying and practicing? And what type of food you have been trying to eat?

I mean eating noodles is very simple with chopsticks.

Rice is simple with chopsticks (and its not grain by grain as someone asked a year ago)

In Japan YOU DONT have to eat everything with chop sticks, if you're eating a steak at a resturant they're going to give you a fork and knife.

A spoon is given on most occasions if the food requires a spoon (ie soup etc).

I figure if elementary school kids can learn chopsticks, certainly any adult can if they are using them correctly.
by . rate this post as useful

.. 2006/10/11 02:41
Carrying around your own utensils isn't neccessarily rude (depends on the place!) but practically speaking, the average person doesn't walk around with a fork and knife in their pocket all day long.

Imagine in your home country if you went into a resturant with your own fork or spoon? Its not rude, just strange.
by .. rate this post as useful

... 2006/10/11 10:17
I wonder if you have been using the thick-ended, long, smooth Chinese-style chopsticks- I have no trouble with the Japanese ones after 9 years here but still sometimes have problems with the Chinese ones.

As above, any adult can get the hang of the Japanese ones with practice, keep trying with different chopsticks and gripping different parts of the chopsticks- you may be holding them too high/ low.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Chopstick 2006/10/12 15:07
When i first moved here 3 years ago I fought changing over to chopsticks. I carried a knife & fork as your thinking of doing (Not rude) but VERY embarassing when out. My Dad who use to travel quite a bit gave me this advice.
Tkae to "Dried Peas" put them on a glass plate and try (practice) picking them both up, side by side (Like touching side by side not one on top of the other). He told me to keep doing this for awhile. Then switch back to everyday food and it would be a breeze. Now I think of my Dad as the MR. Miagi (Karate Kid referense) of Chopsticks it work as good as "Wax on wax off"
by Redrum rate this post as useful

I wish we could edit 2006/10/12 15:09
not "Tke to "Dried pease" should read "Take 2 dried peas"
by Redrum rate this post as useful

chopchop 2006/10/13 11:53
Hi people, the responses are appreciated.

I have 4 different chopsticks, from slender to the thick ones and the latter ones are easier to use but still it takes me too much time and effort to eat. I just spill and it gets messy. Like someone mentioned I also get cramps after a while and just use a fork/spoon.

I was told by a Japanese friend that some Japanese do carry their chopsticks with them so thats why I asked about bringing my own utensils.

Ill try the wax on wax off approach with the peas, lets see what will happen. ALthough next week Im already going, so Im doomed, hehe.

Bye.
by Talentless obviously rate this post as useful

- 2006/10/13 11:56
*I meant the former are easier to use, the thick ones are harder.
by Talentless obviou rate this post as useful

Some chopsticks... 2007/8/17 09:13
in America have writing on the pack that says how to use them that's how I learned
by Jilean rate this post as useful

no problem 2007/8/17 13:34
My parents came to Japan a few years ago, and my mother could not get the hang of chopsticks. Most places came up with silverware without a problem, but there was one tempura restaurant in Niigata that didn't have anything. But a few minutes later the waitress ran up to our table with a fork - she had ran out and borrowed one from another restaurant. This has become one of our favorite memories of their trip to Japan. After that my mother went and bought plastic spoons and forks from 7-11. I confess that I was the tiniest bit embarrassed when my mother whipped out her plastic silverware, but no one else seemed the least bit bothered. So I don't think it'll be a problem for you at all.
by M rate this post as useful

chopsticks 2007/8/17 14:51
In some Korean restaurants either in Japan or in South Korea, the chopsticks are in metal. It is so uncomfortable to use as it is heavy. Japanese's chopsticks are fine.
by eric rate this post as useful

cheat? 2007/8/17 21:07
Have you seen the cheaters chopsticks on sale - I think in places like habitat & Ikea (UK) it's basically a pair or spring loaded chopsticks, rather like a small plastic version of BBQ tongs. I've seen them in Jap restaurants in England where people might have trouble using wooden ones.(wagamama namely) they might be slightly less conspicuous to get out of your handbag than a knife & fork and you still get to use o-hashi to eat your authentic Jap grub!
by furan rate this post as useful

sushi 2007/8/18 15:33
Just remember... don't use chopsticks with sushi while in Japan. Traditionally, all sushi is eaten with your fingers in one gulp. I've read in a culture book that after spending much time perfecting his chopstick skills, the author was proud to be able to pick up an object as large as sushi, but then the sushi chef gave him a weird look and immediately took his chopsticks away.
by Miko rate this post as useful

Sushi 2007/8/18 15:36
Miko wrote:

Just remember... don't use chopsticks with sushi while in Japan. Traditionally, all sushi is eaten with your fingers in one gulp.

Maybe traditionally and in high-class places, but most Japanese people use chopsticks these days.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

high-class 2007/8/18 16:35
is it more high-class to eat with your fingers then? To me, since the sushi is the size it is, makes more sense to eat with your fingers. I am capable to eat them with chopsticks, but it certainly is easier to eat them with my hands.
by Miko rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/18 17:53
It's not that it is "high class" to eat with your hands; in high class PLACES, where "connoisseurs" might gather, the traditional custom is naturally practiced, which would be to eat sushi with your hands :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

reply to this thread