Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 7: Posts 1 - 20 of 124

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
next

Tokyo-House of ikebukuro 2007/1/7 10:24
Hi all :),

Am planning a visit to tokyo and my friend recommended me to stay in this place http://www.housejp.com.tw/. . Has anyone stayed there before? The rooms shown seems nice and clean plus their rates are pretty affordable but how true are the pictures on the website? Also, is the place easy to find or convenient? This is my first time to tokyo.

Thanks.
by Adeline  

Single Occupancy 2007/1/7 19:34
Your post seems to read as if you are a lone traveller, if this is the case it looks like they do not have a single occupany option. If you are willing to pay around 6000 Yen, I would suggest you check out this ryokan:

http://www.katsutaro.com/annex_index.html

For an extra 300 Yen you can get a single room with your own bathroom. Although a few minutes longer walk to a JR station, it is only 2 minutes from a subway stop. The area is more peaceful than Ikebukuro and a little more "old world" in its looks and feel.

by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Tokyo-House of ikebukuro 2007/1/7 22:34
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm actually travelling with 2 other girlfriends and would preferably stay in Ikebukuro or Shinjuku. I have been considering a few places to stay but so far the house of ikebukuro looks the best and still reasonable in terms of their charges.
by Adeline rate this post as useful

Warm and friendly 2007/1/7 22:46
I have stayed at House Ikebukuro for many times before. The rooms are clean, warm, and bright. People staying there are mainly from Taiwan and Hong Kong. Yen 6000 for two and Yen 5000 for one person (the same room) without private bath. It is not too difficult to find (about 15 minutes walk from Ikebukuro station). The only disadvantage is that I have to pull my luggage through the stairs before I can get there and that if you travel from Narita airport using the Keisei line, you have to change train at Nippori for JR trains before you arrive at Ikebukuro station. Total time required : 1 hour 45 minutes.

That's why I changed to stay at Ueno last time because it is more convenient and I can get back to the airport all the way without the need to change trains again at Nippori. Besides, I can be assured of a seat for the one hour+ journey.

To compare, night-life in Ikebukuro is far more colourful than Ueno. Department stores, sushi bars and shops are still open after 8 pm. For the same hours at Ueno, it is quiet and dark and most shops are closed.

Good luck.
by TW rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/1/7 22:56
Hi there :),

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear that the rooms are clean. 15 mins walk to the hotel sounds ok but is it a easy walk? Is the instruction on the website true to follow? And also, the place looks like it is tucked away in a quiet corner, is the area safe or is it dark and sleazy? :)

Good choice 2007/1/8 14:40
Yes I think the instruction is good enough but you still have to be careful or you will miss that street corner leading to it.

If you get off from the Ikebukuro JR station, choose the central exit in the middle of the platform to go down to the main hall. (there is an elevator down too) Then you will see signboard for the West exit. Follow that direction and you will pass Tobu Department store. You are now actually at the underground with shops and people everywhere. After passing Tobu, soon you will be in a long walkway. After a few minutes walk, almost at the end of the walkway, you will find C1 exit. Walk up the stairs and you are on the street level. Pay attention to you RIGHT hand side. There is a 100Yen shop (convenient store) where you can buy anything from tooth paste, drinks, to stationery cheaply. Few shops after that, you will see the House Ikebukuro signboard at a narrow street corner. Turn right in and at the 1st junction, you'll see it.

Mrs. Chan, who run this place is a Taiwanese who can also speak Cantonese and English too. You can use her kitchen if it is not too busy. Also, if you wake up early, there is free bread and butter available at the kitchen.

Don't worry about your safety. It is very safe, even at midnight.

Hope this helps.

:) 2007/1/8 19:04
Thanks for your reply and clear directions! I think i'll just go ahead and book the place to stay! Just a few last questions, are there any eateries or fast food joints near the place? And not sure if you will know but what's the difference btw –{ŠÙ àÕ—§—›ø“…–[ and •ÊŠÙ àÕ—§—›ø“…–[? I assume that it's just the size of the room because one is 10000yen/night and the other is 11000yen/night but the facilities are the same. Also, can i just confirm that the suites will come with a private toilet and is air conditioned? Thanks again!

Tokyo-House of Ikebukuro 2007/1/8 19:16
Hi Adeline,

When are you going to Tokyo? I'll be going from 2 to 5 Mar, and will be staying at House Ikebukuro as well.

You might have to book in advance coz I dun think they have many rooms with bathrooms available. I tried to book mine last week, and it was one of the last rooms.

Emily.
by Emily rate this post as useful

English booking Page 2007/1/8 19:47
Are you using the English booking page? Use that to book.

The difference is that the first one is in the main building, the more expensive one is in the Annex. Both have bathroom in room. I think the extra cost is that the annex rooms seem to be more of an individual apartment with microwave oven and no curfew.

C-Stores 2007/1/8 20:38
There are several convenience stores between 2 and 7 blocks away. The nearest two are Mini Stop and 7-11, both south of the hotel. There is also a Mos Burger on the same block as the 7-11

more 2007/1/8 22:58
Yes the main building has rooms on the ground floor and 1st floor. I usally request rooms on 1st floor because it is more quiet. Remember this is a wooden house and everybody has to behave themselves because the noise you make can be heard by your neighbours. The annex sits behind the main building and is newer and better equiped with private bath and of course, it is more expensive. Overall, I like the main building because it looks like a big family with everybody gather together at the kitchen at night time to exchange their experence and updated information. Take your shower early before everybody comes back! It's so much fun.

I normally reserve my room at least two months before my intended stay by PHONE and talk directly to Mrs. Chan. That way I can be immediately informed of the availability of rooms.

For food, you have a wide range of choice : fast food, sabu sabu, ramen, Indian curry, sushi, KFC, McDonald's, Mos Burger, are all within reach in a few minutes and all located between the station and House Ikekuburo. If you go over to the East exit side, there will be more, not to mention stores selling electronic goods, books, clothing, drugs,.....

If you are hungry at late hours, you may go to the basement (selling food) of Tobu Department Store. Everything must go at half or discounted price after 8.30 because they are closing at 9pm.

Tokyo-House of ikebukuro 2007/1/9 11:43
Hi Emily,

I will only be going in the 1st week of april. I tried to see the rooms available in april but the booking site only shows availabilty of rooms till 31st March. Guess i can only book two months earlier. Is this also your first time staying there? Let me know what you think of the place when you come back ok? Thanks :)

By the way, which room did you book? The one in main building or annex? I'm still deciding.

To book room in main building or annex? 2007/1/9 12:44
Thanks RobBeer and TW, then is there any difference for the size of the rooms in the main building or annex? I'm still deciding whether to go for the main building or annex. The common kitchen is only found in the main building, so i assume the main building will be more bustling with activities right?

Your choice 2007/1/9 14:36
My idea is that if I have to pay for the higher room rate of the annex rooms, I may as well consider a western hotel rooms in the area such as Toyoko which is closer to the station and has better facilities. House Ikebukuro is for the budget-minded travellers. I won't call it a hotel but a well run lodging place with Japanese style rooms. With 6000yen for 2 in the main building, you can't find another one like this. The rooms varies a bit in size but good enough for two. If you come from western countries, you may find it pretty small.

Yes the common kitchen is a bit congested at night because this is the only place with tables and chairs that you can eat or write. They have a computer that you can use. They even provide you with free green tea! Where do you come from anyway?

Tokyo-House of ikebukuro 2007/1/9 14:47
Hi Adeline,

My friends and I booked the Annex room with attached bathrooms coz there are 3 of us. It cost 11,000yen per room, so its actually quite affordable.

Sure, I will let you know how the place is once I'm back. There have been quite gd feedbacks on House Ikebukuro in the forum, so I think there should be nothing to worry about.

Tokyo-House of ikebukuro 2007/1/9 16:28
Emily,

Did you make your booking online or through the phone? Will they send you a confirmation after you submit the booking form?

Hope you enjoy your trip!:)

Alrights, will make up my mind 2007/1/9 16:49
Hi TW,

I'm from HK. I think i'll just go ahead and book the suite for 3 in the main building. 10000yen/night and there's a 5% discount since i'm staying for more than 5 days. Quite reasonable i reckon. There's a mini kitchen with a table and chairs in the suite as shown in the pictures on the website so i don't think i'll be using the common kitchen.

Thanks for all your replies :)

Tokyo-House of Ikebukuro 2007/1/9 17:26
Hi Adeline,

I book thru the internet. Mrs Chen, the innkeeper, will send you a confirmation email with your confirmation number.

She actually request us to drop her an email 2 weeks before arrival. In the event that we did not confirm with her 2 weeks beforehand, she will release our rooms to other people.

I am looking forward to the trip. Hope you enjoys yours too!

Mini Kitchen 2007/1/9 18:59
Adeline, the mini kitchen with table and chairs pictured on the web site is NOT in the room you will book, it is the communal area used by all staying in the main building. Only the annex rooms are pictured with a table and chairs, along with a fridge and microwave oven.

Oops 2007/1/9 19:49
Hi RobBeer, you mean even if i choose the “…–[ with attached bathrooms in the main building, it doesn't come with the mini kitchen, fridge and microwave oven? Because from the description of the website, i thought that as long as i choose the suite it doesn't matter which building i'll stay in.

Page 1 of 7: Posts 1 - 20 of 124

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
next

reply to this thread