Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Standard Salary to Live in Tokyo? 2007/3/25 18:23
I got a job for 6.8 million Yen Per Annuam in Tokyo. 425000 Yen will be given Monthly. and 850000 Yen after every 6 months. Will this be enough to live a good life in Tokyo along with my wife. Company will not provide me with Appartment. Please guide me
by Gyanesh Kumar  

Looks fine 2007/3/27 20:17
Your salary looks fine. Since your company doesn't provide accomadation, you may need to spend somewhere between 100000 to 130000 yen for house rent. Also the initial move-in cost will be very high, just make sure whether
your company will provide housing deposit atleast. Otherwise you may need to invest approximately 400000 yen
minimum for the housing deposit, part of which may not be refundable. You can live comfortably with the salary, but u may not be able to save anything, apart from your annual bonus amount.

Regards
Raj
by Raj rate this post as useful

is it so low salary 2007/4/22 22:12
hi Raj

Is this salary so low that I can't save anything from my monthy salary? I am worried how will I manage expense of 2 people?

Company will give initial deposit for my home.

If I lead a decent life and have food in home then also this salary is not enough for a couple ?
by rana rate this post as useful

. 2007/4/23 00:15
Unless you wanted to live some lavish livestyle, that amount should be enough for two people if you budget enough. Since thats about 2x the amount say an average worker might make.
by John rate this post as useful

what is your job? 2007/4/23 03:09
If you don't mind me asking, what is your job?
by curious rate this post as useful

tax 2007/4/23 08:44
Don't forget to subtract Japanese income tax and social insurance from your monthly 425,000yen salary. After one year, you will also have to pay local/regional tax.

By the way, the "bonus" is not really a bonus!!!

They divide the 6.8 million yen into 16 equal parts. They give you a part every month, and every six months, they give you another 1/16, to make it feel like a bonus!!!!
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Re: Tax 2007/4/23 09:04
I've been promised the "new grad" salary rate by my boss after I graduate college in a few month and go over to work in Tokyo. It's only somewhere above 2,200,000 Yen(binbou jinsei, here I come), but my boss told me that the company will take care of all the tax withholding and insurance deduction, so the sum he gave me will actually be my take-home pay. Does this sound about right?
by Dave rate this post as useful

Oops 2007/4/23 09:33
When I typed the number in Yen, I was thinking the monthly pay and the annual pay at the same time and somehow came out with the 2 million Yen figure...
What I meant to say is my monthly pay will be around 220,000 Yen and that, according to my boss, will be my take home pay--which is still low...
by Dave rate this post as useful

Chartered Accountant 2007/4/23 20:54
hi Curious
I am Chartered Accountant from India. i will be working for KPMG.

I will be shifting along with my Wife. So, worried. Whether That salary of 6.8 million,will be enough for 2 or not ?

If I lead a standard life not Lavish, take home made foor then how much can I save monthly?

My estimates are:
Rent 100000- 2LDK in suburbs of Tokyo.
Food 100000- all meals in home.
Others 50000

Is this estimate ok ?
by Rana rate this post as useful

Yes, one can save 2007/9/21 22:44
Yes Mr Kumar,you can certainly save if you will be focussed .There are various lifestyles people prefer.But I would suggest if one gets such a wonderful oppurtunity of international exposure ,one should enjoy a little and afterall you would be gettg the bonus every 6 mths ,Well that's a good amount saved !!! Enjoy and good luck.
by pankaj Arora rate this post as useful

reply to this thread