Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Air stewardess in japan airline? 2007/4/15 12:04
may i know how to get a air stewardess job in japan airline? what is the pay and requirement? thanks
by unknown  

FA 2007/4/15 15:39
Unknown,

All the details are on the JAL website. You don't need to be a Japanese national, but if you cannot read Japanese, then you won't have much luck.

http://www.jal.com/ja/recruit/
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

not much Japanese required 2007/4/16 08:18
Actually, I know Japan Airline stewardesses who cannot speak Japanese and of course cannot read Japanese. As long as you speak fluent English you have a chance. Ask JAL for details.
by Uco rate this post as useful

. 2007/4/16 08:30
Depends on if you are working for JAL or one of JAL subsidiaries.

For example JALWays, are crews based out of Hawaii and cabin attendants (more preferable term over Stewardess) are based out of Thailand therfore, you can probably run into people and crew who speak little if no Japanese working under a JAL brand.

However I think if you want to work for JAL itself, ie flying their main business of dometic routes, then you'd probably need to know Japanese at a good level. Of course I'm sure there might be job placements for some of their international flights (other than in the role of Flight attendant), ie Flight Interpreter or some other field.
by John rate this post as useful

why not? 2007/6/20 19:17
We were so happy having an FA in the family. Our daughter is one of the lucky FIRST GROUP OF FILIPINA FLIGHT STEWARDESS OF JALWAYS. Its a great honor and proud enough. Through tremendous training and schooling she is now a fluent japanese speaking filipina.
by mom of an FA rate this post as useful

filipina always make it to be the first 2007/8/1 01:01
indeed, an honor to have an f/a in the family.and it's not just easy for our daughter to fulfill her dreams. away from the family, she'd a lot of hardships, further studies, especially the japanese language- speaking and writing (it's a curriculum at the Univ. of Sto. Tomas)and some adoption of japanese ways.all we can say as parents - she's enjoying her job and she loved it!she'd gone to places and the most, manage what she earns.according to her it's a job she will treasure in a fil-jap way!
by parent -one of the 1st jal filipina f/a rate this post as useful

the ever first twenty filipina crew 2007/10/26 16:16
one of jal passengers claimed he took flight 2 yrs. ago putting down filipina stewardess of not speaking japanese. for his information t'was only this year that jal hired filipina crew- the first batch of 20 intelligent,4-year degree holders, smart, beautiful ladies and equipped with full blast trainings (went training for almost 6 mos.in bangkok, sydney and tokyo).to that guy....please take jal again and talk with our ladies on board!
by pinayito rate this post as useful

mistaken as japanese 2007/11/12 14:18
it's a surprise for me when i was courteously greeted by a flight stewardess, oh my! filipina-she simply looks like a japanese doll, but speaks very good japanese perfect in diction.she also talk to me in tagalog.id her job very well-a 5-star for her.am sorry can't remeber her surname, quite a long one. it begins with letter A.anyways, I would like to thank her for my wonderful trip to narita!Miss A - i salute you..
by filipino seaman rate this post as useful

looking to work for JAL 2008/2/4 15:39
I am foreigner in Japan and wish to apply for the JAL Flight Attendant job. Anyone know if they hire foreigner located in Japan? And how can I contact them (i.e what is the e-mail address?)
Thank you very much
by candy rate this post as useful

Serious? 2008/2/4 15:55
Candy,

If you are not even capable of finding the relevant section on the JAL website despite a link being posted earlier in this very thread, then I think your chances of being employed are extremely slim.

http://www.jal.com/ja/recruit/
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

JAL crew 2008/2/5 00:26
I think one of you guys might be thinking of JAL europe staff they recieve basic training in basic japanese. I currently fly with a UK airline to Japan with mostly JP crew who have all come from mostly JP domestic operators. The JAL europe guys are europe based so therefore or not resident in Japan.
There are gaijin staff in various airports like NRT though most of them are flying as pilots or brought in by there respective companys. I hope its some help to you.
by english paul rate this post as useful

Visas? 2008/2/22 19:48
In order to work as a air stewardess does anyone know what visa you would need?
by Sophie rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/22 20:16
It is quite complicated sometimes and it depends on where your "home base" is.

For example some airlines might have a foreign staff that is based in another country, but they service flights into and out of Japan. So they live in their home country. Usually "Airline Crews" have a special lane at the airport and don't require special visas etc, but they don't live in Japan. For example, JALWays flight attendants who are primary Thai, live and are based in Thailand, not Japan. JALWays also hires some Philipine flight attendants, and they are based in the Philipines, not Japan.
by . rate this post as useful

payment 2008/2/23 04:35
Keep in mind that Japanese f/a's get better payment than non-Japanese f/a's. JAL(ways) and many other airliners pay their f/a's according to the standards of the country of origin. The best example of this is KLM Asia, they pay their Chinese f/a's about US$400 a month, while a Dutch f/a is getting about US$2300 a month for the same flights
by Bert rate this post as useful

Age 2008/2/23 15:46
U.S. Citizens would likely be bound to the age requirement of 21 as well. I also wanted to be an international flight attendant myself, but i have two years to linger around. This is good I suppose, in this time I can buff up on my linguistics. Multilingual attendants are paid more than those without those skills.
by Lazagna rate this post as useful

RE: Original question 2009/1/23 07:50
I got this from an American website, but it should give you some idea of what your job would require - of course, every airline will vary to some degree, but the essential will be the same everywhere

Requirements
RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs a variety of services related to the safety and comfort of passengers aboard flights. Provides customer service involving passenger interaction to answer questions or address concerns. Follows established Inflight guidelines to provide for the comfort and safety of passengers and handle inflight emergencies and security.

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Conducts preflight safety check of emergency equipment and conveys information to pilots.
Sets up galley, checks supplies, and verifies count.
Ensures cabin security, passengers seated for takeoff/landing and provides passenger count to pilots.
Prepares and secures doors and announces departure to passengers over the PA system.
Completes departure demonstration of safety and emergency equipment.
Ensures proper loading and storage of carry on luggage prior to and during the flight.
Completes compliance checks and final galley check.
Takes a seated position and secures self for takeoff and landing.
Follows Federal Aviation Regulations as required.
Serves beverages, collects and stows all beverage supply service items prior to landing.
Collects money for and serves alcoholic beverages as needed
Performs evacuation of passengers, if necessary.

QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
High school graduation or equivalency.
MUST BE 21 years of age to begin the interview process.
1 to 2 years of customer service experience.

KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
Above average oral and written communication skills necessary.
Excellent interpersonal skills.
Ability to communicate effectively with and reassure passengers in a hurried and stressful environment.
Ability to work independently and as a team member.

Working Conditions:
Work Environment
Busy airport, indoors and outdoors, weekend, holiday and evening work.
Equipment
Beverage and meal carts, galley equipment, flight stairs, doors, emergency equipment.
Physical Effort
Position requires strenuous physical work. Heavy lifting, pushing or pulling of objects up 100 pounds occasionally and/or up to 50 pounds frequently.

by Stewardess-wanna-be (guest) rate this post as useful

Another question 2009/2/2 06:32
Hi all!

I have another question about JAL.

I'm french, and I know I can work as a JAL flight attendant in European base, like London.
But if I speak fluent japanese and I'm in Japan when I apply, can I be based on Tokyo, like every other japanese girl who want to be flight attendant ?

I'm sorry if the JAL website answer my question, I don't speak fluent japanese yet, it's a question for the future =)
by Cloe rate this post as useful

reply to this thread