Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shiso Shochu 2007/5/25 13:08
Today talking to a friend who returned from Sapporo, I found out about this shochu. Can anyone give me their thoughts on this drink. He got Takaratan? I have never heard of Shiso Shochu before. Is it available all of Japan?, Does it have strong taste of Shiso (I love the taste), Alcohol content? Would it be possible to get same taste by muddling shiso leaves in regular Shochu?
by Mitsuo  

... 2007/5/26 14:00
The name is Tantakatan. Apparently it's a blend of shochu made from "shiso" leaves grown in Hokkaido and another kind of shochu, I see it at the izaka-ya restaurant in Tokyo in my neighborhood, and it seems to be made by a nationally-known manufacturer, so it should be available all around, or at least in most parts of Japan. They say (I haven't tried it yet) it is mild and tastes nicely of "shiso."
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2007/5/26 14:21
Thanks! I will be looking for it on my next trip.
by Mitsuo rate this post as useful

Just to add :) 2007/6/2 13:59
I tried it, and it's smooth, fragrant with fresh "shiso" aroma, and VERY nice. Also it reminded me a bit of Polish Zubrowka vodka (bison label, with a twig of herb in the bottle), which I used to love to drink. Of course, since the alcohol content of Tantakatan is 20 degrees (other shochu seem to be around 25), it is not like vodka at all :) but just the fresh fragrance reminded me of that. I hope you like it too!
by AK rate this post as useful

.. 2007/6/2 14:43
Thanks AK! I have a lot of contact with Nihonjin from my job. I ask if they know it. Most all say, They really like it.Another thing on my list to buy.
by Mitsuo rate this post as useful

Also used to naturally treat diabetes 2008/7/10 15:50
On recent TV shows in Japan, they have touted the use of Shochu shiso (Tantakatan) in the treatment of diabetes to control blood sugar when a small amount is taken before a meal. Works??? I couldn't say, just passing on what I've heard recently about it.
Jack
by Jack in Kyoto rate this post as useful

reply to this thread