Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

Golden Week in 2008? 2007/5/31 14:39
Does anyone know when Golden Week will be in Japan in 2008? I s it a good time to travel to Japan yes or no and why? Thank you
by Obasan  

... 2007/5/31 15:29
by Uji rate this post as useful

Golden Week 2007/5/31 15:59
Obasan,

No, it is not a good time to travel to or in Japan, as the trains and tourist spots will be busier than usual.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Golden week 2008 2007/6/5 16:17
I watch the TV news from Japan daily (I live in North America) and this year they reported during Golden Week that the trains, even the Shinkansen, had 180% occupancy!. This means that all the seats were full and that the aisles, the platforms near the doors etc. were all full of people standing tightly against one another. AVOID AT ALL COSTS TO TRAVEL TO JAPAN AT THAT TIME (very crowded trains also means, by the way, that most hotels would be full).
On the other hand, if you travel with only a small bag and want a really unique experience, go to Japan at that time and travel from one end of the country to the other.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

I went Golden Week 2007 - no problems! 2007/10/16 02:24
I went to Japan entire Golden Week and I enjoyed it! No problems with travel from Tokyo to Kyoto, however, I did buy green JR pass. Everything was still open (stores, temples, etc.) so I wouldnt' worry about that. Just book your hotel stays EARLY!!!! :)
by DonnaBA rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/16 08:18
DonnaBA, trains get very crowded only on certain days of the Golden Week. On these days, even a green car pass will not be of any advantage.

As for temples and shrines, they generally tend to be open everyday of the year, especially on national holidays. Most shops and restaurants, too, will always be open on public holidays (exception: New Year), because that is when many stores make the best business.

... 2007/10/16 08:29
Yeah itfs a very chaotic time to visit as itfs a Japanese holiday period. Avoid travel during this time if possible, it can be quite frustrating. I was lucky this year to meet a friend in Kyoto as I tried to book hotels in Feb without success.
by Kevin rate this post as useful

Golden Week 2008 2007/10/27 08:13
29 April 2008
by Michael rate this post as useful

travel Tokyo-Kyoto 2007/10/28 19:08
IM looking at traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto on Sunday the 4th of May, will this be chaotic on a Monday?

Also what will Getting around Tokyo be like from Arpil 24th to 4 May.

Thanks
by Rhys rate this post as useful

wow 2007/10/28 21:32
this is scaring me as I'll be in Japan during golden week (I'm having a gap year and I'll be in japan for 6 months, from march till august). still, sound exciting.
by miu rate this post as useful

Golden Week busy? 2008/2/26 17:08
In answer to you question, last yr I went from the US for Golden Week and had no trouble whatsoever getting around from Meguro Sta. to all over Tokyo at many different times of the day and I had a really good time and I really didn't know Tokyo well to begin with but caught on really fast on how to get around and I don't speak Japanese. I even went out at night with no problems with crowds. Have fun if you go! i may go again!
by Kancho rate this post as useful

Not recommended 2008/2/27 03:15
During the holiday, the trains, hotels, and shinkansens are crazy. Also, the hotels charge a lot more during that week. You will have to book everything way in advance so you don't waste any time. Department stores and restaurants are really crowded too so be prepared to wait in line.
by Kaye rate this post as useful

During . . . 2008/2/27 16:13
. . . Golden Week, Tokyo is usually empty since everybody's out of town.

If you want to see sakura at famous Hirosaki Castle, you have no choice but Golden Week since the blossoms now bloom last week of April. That's where I'm headed this year since I missed the sakura by one week several years ago. I booked my hotels last Nov. and JTB will be booking my airline and train tickets first day they can (yesterday I think).

Local trains actually aren't that crowded since most Japanese travel by car or take the express trains to get to destinations. Avoid car rental during Golden Week as the traffic will be horrendous and parking lots full.
by Clevor rate this post as useful

Golden Week 2008/2/27 16:23
The thing about Golden Week is, like the day before Thanksgiving, everybody wants to travel on the same day. The Weekend when Golden Week starts is the worst for getting out of Tokyo (and flying out of Japan) and then the weekend when it's over is the worst for heading back. Driving on those days is terrible. Trains are crowded then.
But the days in the middle of Golden Week are not back for travel.
Tourist attractions and accommodation are crowded, though, throughout.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Golden Week in Osaka 2008/2/29 07:36
I will be arriving in osaka on the 2nd of May and looking to stay there for 4 days during which I will be taking day trips to places like HIroshima, Himeji Castle, Nara...

Will I be having lots of trouble getting to these places during Golden Week?
by Vanessa rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/2 11:08
Popular sightseeing spots are likely to be crowded. So, you might want to expect eventual waiting times and crowded buses and trains.

I would avoid traveling from Osaka to Hiroshima on May 3 and in the opposite direction on May 6, because these days will be very busy along the shinkansen.

... 2008/3/3 07:54
Thankyou for your reply!
I have read on this website that the expected peak travel days are the 2nd of May and the 5th of May.
Would you be able to clarify this?

For example, I am looking to go from Osaka to Tokyo on the 6th of May. Will there be a lot of people?

... 2008/3/3 08:03
During Golden Week, the worst traffic congestions take place at the beginning of the holiday period (by the many people leaving the large cities on the same day) and at the end of the holiday period (by the many people returning to the large cities on the same day). In 2008, May 3 will be the beginning of the Golden Week's consecutive holiday and May 6 the end.

The phenomena is most extreme in case of Tokyo, but also considerable in case of Osaka.

For example, I am looking to go from Osaka to Tokyo on the 6th of May. Will there be a lot of people?

Yes, I am afraid, it is one of the year's most busy days for traveling from Osaka to Tokyo. Traveling on May 7th would change the situation drastically.

... 2008/3/3 13:59
Thanks Uji for your reply!

I have another question.. would you recommend for me to go to Hiroshima on the 6th of May for a day trip - Leave Osaka early morning and come back in the evening. Would this mean that I am going in an opposite direction from the mass of people coming back to Osaka from their holidays?

Uji 2008/3/3 14:45
Osaka to Hiroshima is less busy than the opposite direction. You should be okay making seat reservations. Towards the evening, the opposite direction (Hiroshima to Osaka) should become calmer, too.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

reply to this thread