Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 4: Posts 1 - 20 of 74

1 2 3 4
next

Need Translation 2007/6/5 13:00
Can someone help translate this? I understand the everything except PCH... I have NO idea what that means.. (We are considering going out for a drive together.)

ドライブするならPCHとか、ドライブしたいね! ニコは、夜景(やけい)好き?

Also...if I'm not mistaken, yakei is night scene? Do you think he's asking me out on a date?

日本でわからない ことが、あったら、何でも(なんでも)聞いて(きいて)ね!!

What does the sentence above mean?

Also, if it isn't too much to ask, can someone please translate these phrases? :)

"Don't worry, your english will get better with time."

"Do you want to hang out sometime?

"I really enjoy talking to you."

by niko-chan (nicole)  

... 2007/6/5 18:16
I don't know where you are, but can PCH be Pacific Coast Highway, since you are talking about going out on a drive??

- "If we are going out on a drive, driving on PCH would be nice!" Do you like nighttime sights?"
What he means by "yakei" (surely, night view) is, looking at illumination-lit city skyline and views like that...

- "If you have anythign you don't understand in/about Japan, ask me anything!"
by AK rate this post as useful

ありがとう 2007/6/6 05:25
We're both living in LA right now, so at first I assumed he meant to write CHP (California Highway Patrol) but of course that doesn't make sense. You're right about PCH, thanks~

I have a new question for you, how do you form a sentence such as this:

"I would love to go to __(place)__ with you."
"I would love to see __(say, a movie)__ with you."

Also, how would you say:

"I really enjoy talking to you."

"Don't worry, your english will get better with time."
by niko-chan (nicole) rate this post as useful

... 2007/6/6 06:41
"I would love to go to __(place)__ with you." = (Insert name-san/nickname) to (place) ni zehi ikitai desu.
"I would love to see __(say, a movie)__ with you." = (Insert name-san/nickname) to (a movie or something) wo zehi mitai desu.

"I really enjoy talking to you." = (Insert name-san/nickname) to hanashite iru to totemo tanoshii desu.

(For the above three sentences, omit the "desu" at the end for more casual speech.)

"Don't worry, your english will get better with time." = Shinpai shinaide, jikan ga tateba eigo wa motto umaku narimasu yo. (Polite)

= Shinpai nai yo, jikan ga tateba eigo wa motto umaku naru yo. (Casual)

Thanks 2007/6/6 09:37
Thank you!

How do I say "Talking in person would be much easier.."?

... 2007/6/6 13:51
"Talking in person (as against e-mail or as against phone, you mean?) would be much easier.."

- Kao wo awasete hanasu hou ga zutto raku desu. (polite)
- Kao wo awasete hanasu hou ga zutto raku da yo. (casual)

Alright 2007/6/8 08:27
Thanks, thats exactly what I meant. :)

*How do I politely refuse something? Like when a guy says he wants to buy me something?
I want to know how to say, "No, it's alright. You don't have to do it for me."

*"I have something I really want to say, but I don't know how to say it in Japanese... sorry."

*And how would you form a sentence like this? "Would you rather____or ___?"
Such as "would you rather want me to go to __ or would you rather come here to __?"

Words:

*Not really

*Nevermind

*So far (As in, "How was your day so far?")

*Some (As in, "some children..")

*Many times

... 2007/6/8 10:34
"You don't have to do it for me."
- Sonna koto shite kurenakute ii yo.

"I have something I really want to say, but I don't know how to say it in Japanese... sorry."

- Totemo iitai koto ga aru'n dakedo, nihongo de dou ittara ii ka wakaranai no. Gomen ne.

"would you rather want me to go to __ or would you rather come here to __?"

- Watashi ga .... ni itta hou ga ii, soretomo, anata ga .... ni kuru?

(All in casual/informal speech.)

I don't feel comfortable just giving translation for words/phrases out of context :)

ありがとうね 2007/6/10 08:35
Thanks, your translations are really helpful. :)

Can you help me with this also?

"I thought it'd be fun to start up a Mixi account, so I can make more Japanese friends and find people to hangout with. So if you'd like to get to know me, go ahead and drop a line."

Also,

"I'm friendly and love going to places like the mall, movies, parks, etc."

... 2007/6/11 09:11
"I thought it'd be fun to start up a Mixi account, so I can make more Japanese friends and find people to hangout with. So if you'd like to get to know me, go ahead and drop a line."

Mixi akaunto wo tsukuttara, nihonjin no tomodachi ga motto dekite, ironna hito to aete tanoshii kana to omotta no. Dakara, yokattara, renraku shite ne. (I changed it slightly to "... and meet many people. So, if you like, drop me a line.")

"I'm friendly and love going to places like the mall, movies, parks, etc."

Watashi wa ironna hito to au no ga daisuki de, mooru toka eiga toka kouen toka, ironna tokoro ni dekakeru no ga daisuki da yo. (Again I changed it slightly to: "I like meeting different people...")

. 2007/6/16 16:51
I need to know how to say:

''What time do you want me to leave your house?''

I know how to express desire in the 1st person but not otherwise.

Thanks for the earlier translations AK :)

... 2007/6/17 10:48
Going by grammar,
I want to (do...) = ... shitai
I want you to (do something)/I want to have (...done) = ...shite hoshii

...but there are other ways to put it as well :)

''What time do you want me to leave your house?''
- Nan-ji ni anata no uchi wo dete hoshii? (What time would you want me to leave your house?)
- Nan-ji ni anata no uchi wo detara ii? (What time would be good for me to leave your house?)

Need help 2007/6/21 00:53
Okay, this one's more complicated, I can't translate it myself.

"Remember how I told you that my sister came here to visit? Well on Sunday she was leaving but no one told me what time she was to leave. So when it was time to leave for the airport they were angry at me because I wasn't ready. There was a big argument that day. The next day I went out but didn't tell them. That's why they called you(they had my cellphone).
Haha...yes, story of my life."

Also,

"I actually thought you didn't want to talk to me anymore. I haven't heard from you in a while.. And in the past a Japanese friend did the exact same thing without ever telling me."

The first one I need translated first. The sooner the better. =]

,, 2007/6/21 13:12
"Remember how I told you that my sister came here to visit?
oboeturu? imoto/ane ga tazunete kurunowo donnahuuni ittaka

Well on Sunday she was leaving but no one told me what time she was to leave.
sorede nichiyobi ni kanojo dekaketandakedo dare mo itsu dekaketaka ittekurenakattono

So when it was time to leave for the airport they were angry at me because I wasn't ready.
sorede kuukou ni tsuita toki watashi ga inakatta node okottano

There was a big argument that day.
sonohi taihen ookina iiarasoi wo shitawa
The next day I went out but didn't tell them.
tsugi no hi dekaketeite sonokoto wo iwanakattawa

That's why they called you(they had my cellphone).
sorega karera ga anata ni denwa shita riyuuyo (karera ga watashino keitai wo motte itano)

"I actually thought you didn't want to talk to me anymore.
watashi hontono tokoro anata ga mou watashi to hanashitaku nai to omottawa

I haven't heard from you in a while..
anata kara shibaraku renraku nakatta node...
And in the past a Japanese friend did the exact same thing without ever telling me."
soshite kako nimo nihonjin no tomodachi to mattaku onajiyouni renrakuno naikota ga attanode...
by ** rate this post as useful

to add 2007/6/21 13:25

haha souyo, kore watashi no jinsei/seikatus no hanashi-yo

With some corrections 2007/6/21 13:31
Remember how I told you that my sister came here to visit?
- Imouto (younger sister)/ane (elder sister) ga tazunete kita hanashi wo shita no, oboete iru?

Well on Sunday she was leaving but no one told me what time she was to leave.
- Sorede nichiyobi ni kanojo ga kaetta (left to go home) n dakedo, dare mo itsu shuppatsu suru ka, watashi ni oshiete kurenakatta no.

So when it was time to leave for the airport they were angry at me because I wasn't ready.
- Dakara, kuukou ni mukaou to shita toki, watashi ga dekakeru shitaku ga dekite inakute, okorarechatta no.

There was a big argument that day.
- Sono hi wa, taihen ookina iiarasoi wo shita wa.

The next day I went out but didn't tell them.
- Tsugi no hi dekaketa toki, dare nimo iwazuni dekaketa no.

That's why they called you(they had my cellphone).

- Dakara anata ni denwa ga itta no yo. (Watashi no keitai ga uchi ni atta kara.) Haha, kore ga watashi no nagai jijou yo.

To ** 2007/6/21 13:38
To **,

The following is the reasons/explanations for my corrections.

On the second one,
The sister was visiting then "was leaving," so apparently she was leaving "to go home," not "to go out."

On the third one,
"Time to leave for the airport" is the "time to leave home for the airport."
"...because I wasn't ready" means "I was not ready to accompany the sister to the airport."

ON the fourth one,
"The next day I went out but didn't tell them" to me sounds like "I was upset from the previous day so I left home without telling them."

The same thing in Japanese (to **)
第2文
訪ねてきていた姉妹が「うちを出る」だから、「帰宅するために出発する」と考えるべきかと思います。
第3文
Time to leave for the airportは、「空港へ向かうために(うちを)出る時間」です
Because I wasn't readyは、いなかった、というより、空港に行く・見送りをする準備ができていなかった、でしょう
第4文
The next day I went out but didn't tell themというのは、おそらくは、前の日にそんな揉め事があったから、(ちょっと意地を張って)、出かけるときに出かけるよ〜と知らせもせずにうちをでてきた、という感じでしょう。

to AK-san 2007/6/22 13:24
Thanks for your help & good explanation, yoku wakarimashita
in fact, it is very difficult for me to understand the eng-sentence's context perfect especially colloquical expressions,although i study english every day.(i'm j-native)

to niko-chan(nicole)
herupu ga herupu ni natte inakute gomennasaine

ありがとうね〜 2007/6/25 15:29
Thanks the translations AK and **. :) I'm starting to understand the sentence structures more.

Something thats been irking me for a while, how do I say...

"I hope you have fun/enjoy yourself today"

"I probably will only be able to send a reply once a week, I have been busy lately."

... 2007/6/25 18:54
"I hope you have fun/enjoy yourself today"

There is no natural-sounding Japanese greeting along the line of "Have a good day."
But if you know that someone is *going* somewhere, to an event, to shopping, etc., and if you want to say "go have fun there" "go enjoy yourself (on this event)," then you can say "Tanoshinde kite ne!"

"I probably will only be able to send a reply once a week, I have been busy lately."
Saikin zutto isogashii kara, tabun shuu ni ichido kurai shika henji dekinai to omou. (Because I've been consistently been busy lately, I think I can reply to you only as little as once a week or so.)

Page 1 of 4: Posts 1 - 20 of 74

1 2 3 4
next

reply to this thread