Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation help please! 2007/6/16 12:31
Could someone please tell me if these are all correct?

Good Morning
ohayo gozaimass

Good Evening
konban wa

Good Night
oyasumi nasai

Thanks very Much
domo arigato

Yes Please
hai onegai shimass

No Thank You
kekko dess

I'm very Sorry
moshiwake arimasen

Do you Understand?
wakarimass ka

I dont Understand
wakarimasen

Do you speak English?
eigo o hanasemass ka

Thank you so much
arigato gozaimass

Also, how can I say "Have a good day/night"?

Thats all I will ask for now.
I will appreciate your help!
by Translation man.  

Sorry 2007/6/17 16:47
I'm very Sorry
moshiwake arimasen

Although moshiwake arimasen translates to being very sorry for a bad thing you did, judging from the rest of the phrases, you are looking for sumimasen or gomen nasai. Moshiwake arimasen is more for politicians or businessmen who were found out taking bribes or cheating, etc. It is not something you want to use when you bump into somebody in the train :-)
by Kappa rate this post as useful

. 2007/6/18 07:54
All of the mass and dess endings should be "masu" and "desu". i don't know if you did it on purpose as thats how the words sound or if it was a mistake.

Also, "eigo o hanashimasu ka" would suffice too. C: I think Hanashimasu is used more frequently than Hanasemasu, correct me if I'm wrong.
by niko-chan (nicole) rate this post as useful

hmm 2007/6/18 08:36
Well, all of these are in a book I bought. I was just curious if they were right.

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/236938/-/Product.html

That book there.

Now i'm starting to wonder if the rest of the translations in the book are right, haha.

Is there any Japan travel book I should consider buying, that is very acurate?

Thanks.
by Translation man. rate this post as useful

... 2007/6/18 08:59
I don't think you have to doubt the book :) As individual phrases, what this book gives seems to be OK. It's just that there is no context/situation given, thus the difference in nuance is unavoidable.

For example, I was wondering about "...mass," but "...mass" may better represent how this sentence ending "...masu" (in romanized Japanese writing system) is *actually* pronounced/sounds. So it helps with easier recognition as a travel phrase book.

If you wanted to apologize *sincerely*, then "moushiwake arimasen" is OK. If you want to say "(Whoops!) Sorry!" when you happened to have bumped into someone in the crowd, that would be "Sumimasen" or "Gomen nasai." But since those situations or contexts are not given in this phrase book, the biase toward the *more polite* expressions is understandable.

On "Eigo o hanasemasu ka?" this one actually says (literally) "CAN you speak English?" whereas "Eigo o hanaSHImasu ka?" says "Do you speak ENglish." But considering the situation when this would be used, either is OK. (And "...hanasemasu ka?" sounds a bit more natural.) You could also say "EIgo wa wakarimasu ka?" (Do you understand English?)
by AK (Japanese woman) rate this post as useful

. 2007/6/18 09:19
Thanks for your help!

have a good day 2007/6/18 10:52
No one has addressed this question yet - the original poster asked how to say "have a good day/night".

You probably asked this because it was not written in your phrase book. It was not included because this kind of phrase is not normally used in Japanese. If you translate the English literally and say that to people in Japanese, they will probably be a little confused since it is not commonly said. I know you want to be friendly and say something friendly to the people you meet, but maybe there is another, more Japanese phrase you can say.

Hmm... none come to mind.

Maybe someone else has a good idea for a replacement for "have a good day"?
by sazae-san rate this post as useful

... 2007/6/18 11:08
Whoops, it's true about "Have a good day/night," sazae-san.

I imagine the original poster must have wanted this phrase so that when he asks someone for help while traveling in Japan (for directions, train stations, etc.) and he wants to say "Thank you, and have a good day!" or something like that... then there is not equivalent phrase in Japanese that can be used in this situation. All you can/should say is "thank you" (arigatou, or arigatou gozaimasu). One thing you could add is "Tasukarimashita," meaning "That has helped us/me a lot."

If you know that someone is going away on a trip, a visit, somewhere, and you want to say "have a good day" in the sense of "enjoy your time there/enjoy the event!" then you could say "Tanoshinde kudasai ne!" But this is only limited to saying it to someone who is going *to an event,* to an entertainment spot, etc., not in the sense of general "have a good day."
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2007/6/25 11:02
Sorry to bring this thread back.

I was wondering, in what case should I use Sumimasen?

Lets say I wanted to excuse myself from bumping into someone, I would use it.

But if I wanted to ask somebody a question, would I still use sumimasen to get their attention, and then proceed with my question?

For example if I wanted to say "Excuse me, where can I find the nearest bank" Is it still sumimasen?

Or is there a different way I should say it?

sumimasen 2007/6/25 11:16
Yes, you can use sumimasen if you bump into someone lightly, if you need to get past them (ie. on the train), or if you need to get someone's attention.

If you really need to say "I'm sorry" like if you spill something on someone or bump into them quite hard, then "gomen nasai" is better. If you think you might have hurt them, you might want to say "daijobu desu ka?" as well - "are you ok?"
by sazae-san rate this post as useful

Help please 2008/7/20 20:19
How to say this words in japanese?

i need you

i like you

dont break my heart

dont replace me

be mine please

PLEASE help me..
i want to say this words to her..i want her to be proud of me that i am learning japanese language for her...

PLEASE HELP ME

iLL wait for the response
by Singh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread