Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Travelling alone. 2007/6/29 12:26
I am 18 years old, and I want to travel to Japan, but I have nobody to go with. I have never been abroad. I want to go for about three weeks, to Tokyo, Kyoto, Yokohama, Osaka, Himeji, Nikko, and Kamakura, possibly other places as well.

Would it be difficult for me to do this? Is it a good idea for me to go alone? I know I could always go with a group on a tour, but personally I dont think it would be as enjoyable.

Would there be any tips you have for me, if I did travel alone?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.
by Nathan  

. 2007/6/30 14:06
The places you mentioned are pretty well covered tourist places, so it isn't hard to get lost going around if you do your research.

Research that can begin right here at Japan-guide, I would read up on all the pages, print some out to go with you if you need, and you probably won't get lost in each place ifyou have it really planed out.
by John rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling alone. 2007/6/30 16:29
I have travelled alone in Japan and it was a very nice experience. You have already picked some interesting places to visit and I would suggest that you'd buy a good guide and study them and come up some kind a schedule. Language is always a bit of a problem but less so in the places you picked. But you can always find a solution; in restaurants, for example, I have taken the waiter to the front window of the restaurant and pointed at the plastic model of the food I liked; worked like a charm. You'll have a great time.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

... 2007/6/30 18:22
Japan is a very safe country and well catered for solo travellers. Most accommodations offer single rate; ramen, bento box, supermarket food court are only some of the great places for eating alone. If you can do some research before you go there, you will find their transport system is very complex but extremely convenient and efficient.

My sister went to Japan alone this March for three weeks, she found it very enjoyable but it was a bit lonely at times. My suggestion is to find accommodations that have free computer/ internet access when you can. When my sister got to a hostel with internet, we chat for 10 minutes everyday to share her adventure for the day and she felt much happier. Places with internet are more common in bigger cities and they are not more expensive than others.

As John advised, you need to do lots of research. Happy planning your trip!
by donna rate this post as useful

One more question. 2007/7/2 07:16
I was wondering, would it be too late to plan a trip for late October-early November?

Thanks again!
by Nathan rate this post as useful

... 2007/7/2 09:11
Too late for what?

October and November are generally very nice months to travel in Japan. As for the autumn leaves in the big cities (Tokyo, Kyoto), they are usually best in the second half of November until early December.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Oops! 2007/7/2 09:47
I meant is there enough time from now until late October early November, to plan my trip.

... 2007/7/2 10:28
You have ample of time! If you plan to stay in Kyoto during the autumn leaf time or if you plan to see the Takayama Festival, then I recommend to make hotel reservations now. And start looking for a flight. Apart from that, there is no hurry.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Go for it, Nathan 2007/7/2 13:05
Hi Nathan,

I am a 56 year old woman and I last travelled to Japan in April for two weeks, alone. I had a wonderful time and as others have said, Japan is a very safe country to travel in. You needn't have any worries. Enjoy your trip. Japan is a wonderful and amazing place.

Rosemary
by Rosemary Robenn rate this post as useful

Never too later 2007/7/2 22:59
"I was wondering, would it be too late to plan a trip for late October-early November?"

It will never be too late. I just book my ticket for a 10 day trip to japan for this early Nov, 2 weeks ago too. I will be travelling aloneB
by JK rate this post as useful

travel in august! 2007/7/3 00:14
hey i saw your post. im about to undertake a two week travel trip with a friend of mine visiting me from the u.s. i came to japan 3 months ago to study but havent had the chance to travel around. so we are gonna go thgouh this trip alone... if you want travel partners this would be the time. im 25.
by Maria rate this post as useful

I'm going too!!! 2007/7/3 00:46
I'm glad you posted this because I am going early Novemeber! It will be my first time and I am from Canada. I will be alone as well but a couple of my friends have gone and they said I will have an awesome time. I'm sure you will to... maybe I will see you when you are in Tokyo!lol

Michelle 21
by Michelle rate this post as useful

Michelle 2007/7/3 05:18
Just curious, what part of Canada are you from? I am from Calgary.

Keisei 2007/7/3 07:08

Im going alone and
i'm trying to figure out the best way to get to Roppongi from Narita airport.

Can i take the Keisei line to Ueno station and walk to the Hibiya line from there? Is it all connected underground?

I'd feel safer if it was connected and i didnt have to walk through the streets?

Or should i take the NEX to Tokyo staion and take the Marunouchi line to Kasumigaseki station , and then take the Hibiya Line to Roppongi?

Which is the easiest and safest?

If anybody has any ideas it would help me out.

Thankx
by Stephanie rate this post as useful

. 2007/7/3 07:24
Take the NEX to Shinjuku Station, then change to the Toei OEDO line there to Roppongi Station. If you take the NEX get a Suica & NEX Package while you're at it.

Otherwise Keisei Line to Keisei Ueno Station, then walk over to the Hibiya Line.

All options are "safe" to do.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/7/3 07:32
Alternately, you can just take a direct Airport Limousine Bus to one of the major hotels in Roppongi. Such as the Grand Hyatt Tokyo. Just get off at the hotel and go to where you need to go in Roppongi.
by John. rate this post as useful

Tx you! 2007/7/3 10:27
Thanks John !

you really know your stuff.

I wrote it all down and if I miss the limo bus , or decide to take another route like NEX or keisei, I'll know what to do.

I'm glad its safe. :)
by StephIe rate this post as useful

... 2007/7/30 10:35
Sorry to bring this thread back.

Would it be too late now to book flights and hotels for November?

I was thinking of going in April 2008, but I dont want to wait that long.

Hi Im going alone in September 2007/7/30 19:11
Hi Im going for a 3 week trip to Japan in September and I am going alone I am very excited but also nervous for it will be my first time travelling alone. I have decided to use the 20 day Itinerary on this website and I have over £1000 to take when Im there. Will this be ok and are the places on the Itinerary good to visit. I would be grateful for any advice thanks :D
by Chris rate this post as useful

Hitori de tabibitosan 2007/7/30 23:12
To all you solo Travellers;
I just want to say go for it! You will look back one day and not regret the decision to travel alone in such a wonderful Country.
John San's advise is good, plan as far ahead as you can.
It is not too late to plan a fall trip to Japan Nathan. In many places the fall colors linger on into November and the temperatures can be quite mild.
Also many airlines cut thier fares significantly after October, and except for Christmas and New Years they will remain low until about May.
If you want to travel extensively in Japan try to get a railpass. And stay in a hostel if you can. The ones i had stayed in were quite comfortable and you have a great opportunity to meet travelling japanese as well as foreigners from all over the world. Your fellow travellers will often be the best source of information and advice too Nathan.
Starting here in Japan Guide is excellent, especially useful is the hotel/hostel finder in the left column of the home/travel pages. I may also reccomend, if you will travel by rail, the link to Hyperdia accessed by the rail section in the travel header. Hyperdia will list for you all the train names, times, and stops, etc.. for your chosen set of origin and destination points.
Lastly, you may want to check your library for information about Japan, you may even get lucky and check out a guidebook without having to buy it.
Ah, and one more thing..if you wish to have a Japanese friend before you go, try composing yourself a 'friends' ad here in Japan-Guide...you will have plenty of time from now to make new friends and decide if you want to meet.
I wish all of you solo travellers the best!
Good Luck! MP yori
by Mart rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread