Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hinamatsuri in February? 2007/8/3 00:12
Hi! I am wondering the time of Hinamatsuri. All the books and web sites I have seen say Hinamatsuri is on 3rd day of March.

I was in Japan on February for two weeks and I saw Hinamatsuri dolls displayed in the ryokan when I was staying in Kyoto.

On the airplane back to Europe, a Japanese lady was sitting next to me and she asked if I saw the dolls anywhere and I said yes, I did see them.

So my question is, why did I see the dolls in February? I wish I would have asked the nice lady, but I forgot.
by antennaman  

... 2007/8/5 21:20
So my question is, why did I see the dolls in February?
Yes, we start displaying dolls from late-February.

From ancient days, Japanese have been enjoying the change of seasons and hold several events on the day of SEKKU (day from one season to another).

Hinamatsuri is one of these seasonal events as it's also called "MOMO NO SEKKU (day to start seeing peach blossom)." And SEKKU which precedes MOMO NO SEKKU is February 19th (or a day near Feb 19th). This day is called USUI NO SEKKU (day to see snow melting into water) and considered the best day to start displaying dolls.

BTW, you may have heard that if parents fail to put away dolls immediately after March 3rd, their daughters have difficulties finding their husbands. Well, as far as I know, it's a superstition (of course!) which started in the 20th century.

In my case, my mother used the money, which my grandmother gave her to buy dolls, to buy Complete Works Classical Music (records) but I'm happily married now!

by J Lady rate this post as useful

just to add 2007/8/6 02:00
Generally speaking in Japan, things are expected to be presented/displayed "earlier".

Decorations for March events are displayed in February, and should be put away the minute it becomes March 3rd.

Similar procudure is expected for Children's day dolls, Tanabata decorations, Obon displays etc., etc., etc.

Designs on our clothes and envelopes should show plants that are a bit earlier than the season, but not later.

This even applies for customs imported from the West. Birthday cards and gifts can be sent earlier but never later. Christmas trees should be put away right after Christmas.

I was taught from my family that this is because it is good to look forward to things but not so good to cling on to them or be late for your "appointment". Everybody loves everything fresh.
by Uco rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/6 10:31
Decorations for March events are displayed in February, and should be put away the minute it becomes March 3rd.

I would say 4th of March, not 3rd of March, as it is the day when people celebrate and enjoy hinamatsuri!
by . rate this post as useful

reply to this thread