Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Questions about water in restaurants 2007/8/5 08:43
We just came back from Japan. One of the things we noticed was how tiny water glasses are in restaurants. Usually they were 4 - 6 oz in size. As I am sure people know, it is very hot in the summer time, and when we ate lunch or dinner, we would usually be very thirsty. This tiny glass of water would be gone in seconds. Then we'd have to ask for more. It would get embarrassing to ask again and again for the thimble-sized glass to be refilled.

We did carry three 20 oz water bottles with us for sightseeing. There were several times were I simply refilled my water glass with these, then refilled the entire bottle later in the bathroom, rather than have to have to hassle the staff.

So, I am curious - why are restaurants so stingy with water? Are they trying to make sure we buy 400 yen colas? Or is there another reason beyond ''custom''?
by Claire  

Free water 2007/8/5 17:20
Claire,

You say "stingy", but this water is provided free of charge - which I don't think is common in many other countries.
You are free to ask for refills, but naturally the restaurant would prefer that you actually bought a drink as well.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/5 17:25
The size of water glasses varies greatly between restaurants. But it is true that many restaurants have rather small glasses. Also, there are restaurants which will provide each table with a bottle of water from self-refill.

Why the glasses are small at some restaurants? I can think of a few reasons:

Many guests will not drink that much, even in summer. When I go out with Japanese family and friends, most of them will not drink up their water. It would not make sense to introduce bigger glasses.

Also, some restaurants expect you to order some paid beverage if you want to drink a lot.

In the country where I come from, we have to pay for even water. So, I am naturally grateful for that free water service. And when I am very thirsty, I will order a beer.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Custom 2007/8/5 22:58
I think it does just basically boil down to "custom."

A couple of things I've noticed:

1. Big glasses are just not the style over there (except for mugs of beer in a beer garden or something). Drinking out of a great big glass is not considered to be very classy, by Japanese standards.

2. Drinking water as a beverage with meals is not all that customary in Japan. A lot of Japanese actually don't drink much plain water; my relatives there almost always drink tea or something else if they're thirsty. (Water is something you drink if you have a hangover!)

When I'm in Japan I usually try to keep myself hydrated throughout the day, although in the summer this can be a constant effort. It's better for my health and my general functioning than letting myself get too thirsty and trying to rehydrate only at mealtimes.

by Uma rate this post as useful

meals come with soup 2007/8/6 12:29

Guess another reason being Japanese meals mostly served with soups ( miso/clear soup), some dishes are quite soupy like noodles, sabu sabu, nabe etc.
My wife prefers warm water to go with her foods, more often, most restaurants have only the cold water !!
by tju rate this post as useful

For your health (on a related note) 2007/8/6 15:17
This is not an answer to the original question, but not many people know that drinking too much water after sweating may be critically dangerous. I myself didn't realize this until I saw a minor TV report about a doctor's son, young and healthy big guy, who died from drinking too much water after sweating like waterfalls.

The report explained that when you sweat, you not only loose water but a lot of salt from your body. If you drink too much water on top of that, the percentage of salt in your body will decrease up to the point where you won't be able to survive.

If you sweat a lot, you should drink the so-called Sports Drinks or liquid with some salt contained. You shouldn't rely on water alone.

Of course, I am sure that this is not the reason they serve water in small glasses (nor the reason they serve soup). I think that small glasses are simply easier to wash, carry and store in the kitchen, and previous posts explain why there is no reason to make them bigger.

Btw, Japan and the U.S. are the only countries I know of that serves free drinking water at restaurants. A non-tourist like me who comes straight from an air-conditioned building don't need that much water, and I often fail to put my hand over the glass as the waitress constantly comes pouring some more.
by Uco rate this post as useful

In Response to Uco... 2007/8/6 16:23
Actually, the UK also provides free tapwater, as it is required by law to provide free drinking water at any establishment that serves meals, alcohol for consumption on the premesis, or provides music for the intent of dancing.

Many countries in the EU, in my experience, also provide free water, though occasionally in some places (like in one or two restaurants I went to in Spain), water is only free after you have purchased one alcoholic drink.

A bit unrelated, but just thought you'd be interested!

A note about the small water glasses: water fills you up very quickly. Perhaps these small glasses are a way of stopping you ruining your appetite? Just a thought.
by Kelly rate this post as useful

Water in restaurants 2007/8/6 16:44
Kelly,

I know what the law says, but how many restaurants have you been to in the UK in which they serve water to customers without having to be asked?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

water for customers 2007/8/6 22:06
Kelly and Dave, thanks for your inputs. Yes, tap water was indeed free in a lot of places, although only if you ask. Sorry for my mis-leading comment.

Btw, back to the original post, I'm not sure if you're allowed to put the served free water in Japan into your personal bottle to go without asking. At least it isn't polite at all.

Again I must confess that I once tried to just walk in a cafeteria at an event hall in Tokyo and take a glass of water. I was stopped by a (in fact, mean-looking) staff and was told that water is only available for those dining there to drink at the spot.

Basically, water is free for a reason. Otherwise restaurants would go broke.

sorry, typo 2007/8/6 22:07
Incorrect:Again I must
Correct: I must

Depends... 2007/8/6 23:06
Whether the water is provided without asking or not depends on your restaurant!

I tend to only go to restaurants for important occasions, and these are usually quite expensive places, where bottles of water are already provided free of charge on each table.

Of course, if you are going somewhere at a more moderate price range, like in the UK "Harvester", then yes, you would have to ask for it. Still, free is free, whether you have to request for it or not!
by Dave rate this post as useful

tea cup=glass cup? 2007/8/7 14:49
I don't really know why a glass that they serve water is so small in most Japanese restaurants.

My guess is, like somebody mentioned, Japanese restaurants(meaning serving Japanese food)usually serve free tea in a Japanese tea cup.(I think it was more common to serve tea in the past) Remember the size of its cup?
It's pretty small.
And I think a glass that restaurants use is about the same size.
So I don't think restaurants are trying to be stingy with water. It's just been that way(?) It's just my guess though!!
by hmm rate this post as useful

free water 2007/8/7 14:55
Sorry, unrelated really, but also in Australia many resturaunts provide free water, with decent sized glasses and jugs of water for refills.
by craZyaNgel rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/7 21:12
Well I said something similar to hmmmmm... that all glasses are pretty small and so are beer glasses in general.
by Blanc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread