Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai Thru Pass(2day/3day pass) 2007/8/8 00:35
My base is in Osaka.

Kansai Thru Pass(2day/3day pass, YEN3800/YEN5000) is NOT a prepaid card, am I right?

Is it worth to buy a 2day pass YEN3800 to visit Koyasan (daytrip) and Kyoto/Uji(daytrip) ? I am aware that it is for non-JR trains.

Or instead of using it for Kyoto/Uji (daytrip), can it be used for Kobe/Arima Onsen (daytrip) ? Does it include the cable car rides?

Does this KTPass also allow you to travel to Awaji Island?

If the answer is no, how do I go from Osaka to Awaji Island to see the Naruto whirlpool ?

Which is cheaper, by bus or train to go to Awaji?

Thank you
by ty  

... 2007/8/8 08:47
Kansai Thru Pass(2day/3day pass, YEN3800/YEN5000) is NOT a prepaid card, am I right?

You are right! The pass gives you unlimited use of non-JR transportation in the Kansai area:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_005.html

Is it worth to buy a 2day pass YEN3800 to visit Koyasan (daytrip) and Kyoto/Uji(daytrip) ? I am aware that it is for non-JR trains.

Yes, it will pay off. But I recommend to spend a night on Koyasan, if you have the possibility.

Or instead of using it for Kyoto/Uji (daytrip), can it be used for Kobe/Arima Onsen (daytrip) ?

Yes.

Does it include the cable car rides?

No. You have to access Arima by train.

Does this KTPass also allow you to travel to Awaji Island?

No.

If the answer is no, how do I go from Osaka to Awaji Island to see the Naruto whirlpool ?

Note that the whirlpools are best viewed from the Shikoku side of the Naruto Ohashi Bridge rather than from the Awaji side.

The best way to get there is by highway bus. It takes about 2 hours from Osaka or 45 minutes from "Kosoku Maiko" bus stop near the Awaji Kaikyo bridge (reached in about one hour from Osaka by JR or non-JR train). And the round trip costs 5670 Yen from Osaka or 4410 Yen from Kosoku Maiko.

Which is cheaper, by bus or train to go to Awaji?

There is no train on Awaji island. And no direct train connection to Naruto. You would have to make a big detour via Okayama. Therefore, it is definitely better by bus.
by Uji rate this post as useful

overnight in Koyasan 2007/8/8 21:07
Since overnight in Koyasan is highly recommended, how do I go about getting the one-night accommodation?
Is there a website in English?

Should I book in advance, I will be visiting in the second half Oct2007?

Is there any travel agent in Osaka to book accommodation in Koyasan?

What would be the temperature in Koyasan during the 2nd half of Oct2007 ?

Thank you for your help.
by ty rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/8 23:06
This website probably provides the easiest solution in English:
http://japaneseguesthouses.com/db/mount_koya/index.htm

Osaka to Arima Onsen 2007/8/9 21:11
What is the fastest way(bus or train) to go from Osaka to Arima Onsen by using Kansai Thru Pass ?

I want to visit the Gold and Silver Onsen.

Thanks.

... 2007/8/10 08:33
What is the fastest way(bus or train) to go from Osaka to Arima Onsen by using Kansai Thru Pass ?

1) Hanshin or Hankyu Railways from Osaka to Sannomiya Station in Kobe
2) Kobe Subway (and Hokushinkyuko Line) from Sannomiya to Tanigami
3) Kobe Railways from Tanigami to Arimaguchi Station
4) Kobe Railways from Arimaguchi to Arima Onsen Station

It takes about 75 minutes.

Silver & Gold Onsen at Arima 2007/8/10 20:57
Thank you Uji for all your replies.

Am I right to say that Ginnoyu(Silver) closed on 1st & 3rd Tuesday and Kinnoyu(Gold) closed on 2nd & 4th Tuesday ?

Are both the onsen easily reached by foot? What about the centre of the town (Arima) itself?

Thank you.

... 2007/8/11 00:21
Am I right to say that Ginnoyu(Silver) closed on 1st & 3rd Tuesday and Kinnoyu(Gold) closed on 2nd & 4th Tuesday ?

Yes, except in case that a national holiday falls on a Tuesday, in which case the bath is open on Tuesday and closed the next day. Also, both baths are closed on January 1.

Are both the onsen easily reached by foot? What about the centre of the town (Arima) itself?

Yes. The whole town is very compact and walkable.

osaka to Uji 2007/9/16 17:52
Can I use the Kansai Thru Pass(2/3 day) to go from Osaka(which station) to Uji (Kyoto) on Keihan line.

Please tell me where to board the train from Osaka.

A detailed route which be appreciated.

Thank you.

... 2007/9/16 19:33
Can I use the Kansai Thru Pass(2/3 day) to go from Osaka(which station) to Uji (Kyoto) on Keihan line.

Yes!

Please tell me where to board the train from Osaka.

Any station along the Keihan Main Line would be good, for example, Yodoyabashi Station:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html

You have to transfer once at Chushojima Station:
http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/

jorudan 2007/9/16 19:56
Thank you for the quick response.

In Osaka, is Subway Tanimachi 9-chome = Tanimachikyuchome (as in the jorudan) ?

Thank you.

... 2007/9/16 21:54
In Osaka, is Subway Tanimachi 9-chome = Tanimachikyuchome (as in the jorudan) ?

Yes, Tanimachi 9-chome = Tanimachikyuchome

Kyu means 9.

JR West Pass/Kansai Pass 2007/9/18 14:36
Is JR West Pass and Kansai Pass the same?

I be at Osaka/Kyoto for 3days before going to Tokyo. We plan to buy the 3days pass.

Can this pass be use for the following:-

1) From Kansai Airport - Haruka Limited express train?

2) Osaka to Kyoto - JR Tokaido Shinkansen?
by Heri rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/18 14:42
The JR West Pass comes in two versions: The Kansai version and the Sanyo version.

You'll most likely want the Kansai area version.

Yes you can take the Haruka limited express from Kansai Airport.

No you cannot take the Shinkansen from Osaka to Kyoto. You can however use the other JR trains (eg the Rapid service train) between Osaka and Kyoto.

However in my opinion if thats all you're going to do, you're better off just getting a one day JR West kansai pass for 2000yen if your trip is from Kansai Airport to Osaka or Kyoto using the Haruka.

And just paying single fare tickets the rest. As its hard to come up with an itinery that justifies the purchase of a 2 or 3 day one.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_03.html
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/18 15:03
To answer, The JR West Kansai Area pass is not the same as the Kansai Thru Pass. I wasn't sure on the question originally there. Either case you would be fine getting a one day JR West Kansai pass to ride the Haruka, then pay individually fares fro Osaka-Kyoto.
by John rate this post as useful

.. 2007/9/18 15:27
Thank you John.

I will then jus purchase the One day pass at the airport.

Initially i thot if we purchase JR West pass we can move around using any JR lines.

Thank you so much
by Heri rate this post as useful

reply to this thread