Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Greeting someone from Japan? 2007/8/8 08:26
My friend has an exchange student coming from Japan for the year. How should I greet her, and how should I act around her?
by Dumb American  

... 2007/8/8 10:08
I believe in the principle "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". In your case: Greet her in the way you greet people in your country. Act towards her as you act towards people of your country.

However: Take her language skills into consideration, e.g. if her language skills are low, speak in a clear way and use simple vocabulary. Also take her cultural background into consideration, e.g. keep in mind that things, which seem universal to you, may be different in her culture. Enjoy culture exchange.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/9 00:49
I remember talking to some of my Japanese friends at school and they mentioned when they arrived at their host families' house for the first time, they were hugged as a greeting. This really surprised them, and they wondered if that's how everyone in America greets people. I think it was a big culture shock for them.
So offer a handshake, and yes, remember to keep things simple. Try to see where her language level is at and adjust accordingly.
Also, if she gives you a nice small present from Japan, it is customary in Japan to give a present back. It doesn't have to be big, just something small and nice.
by Miko rate this post as useful

greeting 2007/8/11 02:16
If you want to greet her in Japanese, say "hajime mashite", which is the equivlent to nice to meet you.

Other than that, treat her as you would any one else you meet for the first time. If her understanding of English is not to good, talk slowly but don't "talk down" to her. Also, avoid slang words/phrases.
by cf rate this post as useful

greetings 2007/8/14 03:23
thr term hajime masite is used for the first time greeting but not afterward. There is not a good equivelient for hello, instead the time of day is used, o-hio for morning konichawa for daytime and konbanwa for evening. the term dozo yoroskiu sp? is used as a more frienldy greeting as if to say I hope we will be friends.
by peter s rate this post as useful

reply to this thread