Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Thinking in Yen? 2007/8/10 22:02
This question is about money. Usually when looking at prices in yen, I mentally convert it to US dollars.

Ex. 100 Yen = $1
23,567 Yen = $235.67

But I have some difficulties (I may be slow at times). I will be doing a long term stay in Japan in a few days, and I would like to know if you think the way I calculate is alright, or if I should start thinking completely in yen. I'd love to hear input from those who have lived in Japan and which method they used.

This is a serious question, I would like to know what is the best way to accustom myself to the Japanese system, and if thinking in Yen completely would make a difference.
by niko-chan  

. 2007/8/11 00:52
I see how you could think that. A few years ago, the dollar and yen had almost the same value so you could easily do that. As of now, it isn't so similar, remember the value of each currency is constantly changing daily.
For now, 100 yen equals $.839 or just $.84. soo doing the math...
if you multiply any value of yen by .84 you'll get dollar value I believe. You can also check on google by typing the value of yen you want and then type "to dollars" and it'll tell you.
And of course dividing .84 into a dollar value gives you yen (just remember to move the decimal point two times to the right).
by Miko rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/11 01:53
If you're stuck in thinking one currency especially USD or CAD where you have an easy conversion rate 1 usd/cad = 100yen, even though that is not the Real exchange rate for USD it is always a good base to think in, and thats what I use all the time. Just go with whatever works for you, there really isn't anything wrong in it.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/11 01:57
In the end it doesn't matter because you're calculating up in USD, so something that is 23700 yen you think I need 237 but the real exchange rate it would be 206 usd. So in the end of the day you're always saving money even though you're thinking higher. The only time I think it matters if is you're spending a really really large amount of money then exchange rates will be hundreds off. But for normal everyday stuff the exchange rate is really minute so it really doesn't matter if you think 500yen is spending about $5 usd, because it is just about the same ($4.35 or so) so you see its not all too off for normal every day calculations.
by John rate this post as useful

Thinking in yen 2007/8/11 07:16
Niko,

While it is natural to convert back to your home currency, after a while, you will just begin to think in yen. The sooner you can make the switch, the easier you will find things.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

yen 2007/8/11 08:08
I agree with Dave in Saitama. It's natural to convert back to your home country's currency at first but gradually you won't do it so much. Not really something to worry about too much.
by Sira rate this post as useful

calculation 2007/8/11 14:25
You calculation is not too bad, and you get a ball park figure.

Don't think about dividing by xxxx, in your head.

Just DROP the last two figures.

e.g. 39,800 yen = 398.
Do this when it's not too important to get an exact figure.

If you want to get a slightly closer value, drop the last two figures and subtract another 10%.

e.g. 39,800 yen

398 - 39.8 = about 398 - 40 = $358

The actual figure is $349, which is close.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/11 14:27
I am aware that the yen is not equal to the dollar, this is just a quick easy way for me to calculate prices.

And about the saving money thing, since I will be staying in Japan, I never really think about the amount in US dollars I spend. I calculate that way in order to judge whether the item in question is good for the price. So thinking that I'm spending more/less than I really am isn't really a problem at all. :)

Sandy - Oh, wow! That trick is great. I never thought about it that way. That definately will make it easier for me.
by niko-chan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread