Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiroshima - 1 day and a half 2007/8/13 15:06
Hello everyone! O-genki desu ka?
My husband are traveling first time to Japan in October and were thinking of taking a trip to Hiroshima. I figured it would take us half a day to travel there from Tokyo by shinkansen and then we would at least have a full day the next day to do some exploring. Would this be enough time or is it too much time?
Also, I've tried to look into accommodation and there are only twin rooms and they seem to be smomking. Have I got any chance of having a double non smoking room?
Thanks
by Rowena  

... 2007/8/13 19:17
I recommend at least 3-6 hours for seeing the peace park (incl. access from the station) and half a day for Miyajima (incl. access).

The train trip from Tokyo to Hiroshima by hikari shinkansen takes about five hours:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3404.html

Many hotels offer non-smoking rooms, and most hotels offer double rooms (one bed for two people) and twin rooms (two beds for two people). Usually there are more twin rooms than double rooms.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Fukuoka or Kansai 2007/8/13 22:40
Hi,

Are you also visiting Tokyo? Is flying to Kansai or Fukuoka Int'l Airport one of your options? They are much closer to Hiroshima. October will be nice time for visiting Miyajima Island and I highly recommend you to take time to explore the beautiful Island.(half a day will be enough, I think)
I and my husband love Miyajima and fresh oysters there :-)
by YR rate this post as useful

--- 2007/8/15 07:48
I too recommend Miyajima for half a day. I've written about my visit there here: http://www.japan-cheap-travel.com/ideas-miyajima.html
It will give you an idea of what Miyajima Island is like. Hiroshima is a really interesting city and I also recommend visiting the Peace Memorial Museum if you have time.
by TaraMcDonald rate this post as useful

If you really . . . 2007/8/15 09:30
. . . want to save on travel time, fly into Hiroshima from Tokyo (Haneda). It will only take 1.5 hours or so, so you will have more time to sightsee. The cost one way is about the same as Shinkansen; if you can book early and get discount air fares, better yet.

I like in Yokohama and frankly I only take the Shinkansen as far as Nagoya! Anything farther (even Kyoto), I fly in. I take the earliest flight of the day and can start sightseeing at 9 am in the morning. To me, time is money. I'd rather pay extra (if needed) for airfare so I can jam more sights to see into the trip.

Be sure to fly into the right Hiroshima airport, as there are two of them. One is closer to Onomichi.

Another case in point is Toyama. Discount airfare can be gotten for as low as 9000 yen! Imagine how long it will take to get there via train to Matsumoto and up through the Alps! You're talking 60 minutes versus 5-6 hours, at least.

And don't forget package deals. I once spent 4 days in Aomori, flying into Akita. I took the scenic Gono Line to Aomori. Total cost for airfare and hotel for three nights was $375 US dollars! And that include the reserved train tickets. I got the package through JTB Japan. Keep in mind this was off season (winter).
by Clevor rate this post as useful

Overnight in Miyajima, Heaven like! 2007/8/21 11:48
I went to Hiroshima 1/2 day only. Then, overnight at Miyajima! Miyajima is the best to stay overnight. Nothing beats walking late at night and early in the morning. You can see the tides fall at night and rise in the morning. Plus, the oyster fisherman are out in the morning, you can buy fresh grilled oysters right out of the water! So yummy. The ambiance is so heavenlike in Miyajima. Deers running freely, hiking to the top of the little mountain, seeing the wonders of the world. It is definitely heaven like in Miyajim early in the morning!!!!!
by Tom Cruise rate this post as useful

reply to this thread