Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Assistance Again with Japan Plans 2007/8/16 00:50
I posted before a draft travel itinerary, but I would like to solicit people's opinions on a two-week trip to Japan. Some information in advance:

- We'll be in Japan from November 9 to November 23.
- We will be flying in and out from Tokyo.
- We will be purchasing a JR Rail pass.
- Our first three days will be spent in Yamagata, visiting a friend.
- We like to hike. We are NOT skiers, unfortunately.

Also, my wife and I have visited Japan once before (two years ago). The sites that we've already seen include Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Nara, Koya-san, and Himeji.

This time, we would like to go to Hiroshima and Miyajima as well as make a return visit to Kyoto for a couple of days. We understand that it's a long trip from Yamagata to Hiroshima.

Anyway, what would you recommend as an ideal 2nd trip to Japan? Should we head to Nagasaki and Kagoshima? Should we go to Shikoku? Are Kanazawa, Takayama, and Nagano worth seeing in November?

Any and all advice would be appreciated, including a suggested itinerary.
by B_in_Ottawa  

sendai 2007/8/16 10:09
I recommend to visit Sendai, Matsusima. Sendai is the next city to Yamagata within 1 hour half by train.

There are an air line to Hiroshima from Sendai.

You would enjoy sightseeing and save your time.
http://www.sdj-airport.com/english/index.html
by . rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/16 13:36
Aren't you the same guy that I just saw post a question about Shirakawa-go? Hah. Well, if that's the case, you've certainly chosen a nice place to view the autumn leaves, which is around the time when you say you're coming to Japan. Good timing! And yes, Takayama and Kanazawa are cool little gems that not many people visit, but are very recommended.

Also, I visited Yamagata very briefly but didn't have the time to take the ropeway and hike from Zao Onsen (a very good onsen town in the atmospheric mountains of Yamagata) to Okama Lake. That looked to be a really beautiful lake, and therefore amazing hike, from the brochures I saw. So you can do that one, and it's right where you'll be staying!

I notice you didn't visit Nikko, near Tokyo, the first time around. The Oku-Nikko (the "nature part" of Nikko), from the travel brochures, seems stunning during the autumn leaf season. And, because I was just there last week, I can tell you that there is very nice hiking ranging from marshland walks to a climb up Mt Nantai!
by Jon rate this post as useful

Planning 2007/8/16 23:38
Yes, I am the one who asked the question about Skirakawa-go. My wife and I are trying to figure out what we want to see on this trip. We originally considered Shikoku, but we realized that we would need at least a whole week there and, therefore, couldn't fit it into our plans this visit.

So, now we're looking at alternative trips. I think we will likely take a day trip to Sendai since we've already visited Yamagata.

From Yamagata, we thought we might first head to Matsumoto or Nagano then to Kanazawa -Shirakawa-go - Takayama.

From there, maybe head to Kurasiki, Hiroshima, and Miyajima.

On our way back, we would stop in Kyoto and Tokyo for a few days.

Is this practical?

Or would people suggest that we go to Kyushu instead and visit Nagasaki, Kumamoto, and Kagoshima?
by B_in_Ottawa rate this post as useful

Revised Travel Plans 2007/8/18 04:50
After some more research, here's another itinerary. Your comments and advice would be appreciated.

November 9 - Arrive in Tokyo.
Take the train to Yamagata, visiting a friend.

November 10-11 - Yamagata and area.

November 12 - Early AM, travel by train to Nagano, spending the day in Nagano.

November 13 - Early AM, travel by train to Kanazawa

November 14 - Mid-afternoon, travel by bus to Shirakawa-go, spending the night in a gasshozukuri

November 15 - AM, travel by bus to Takayama

November 16 - Afternoon, travel by train to Kyoto

November 17 - Kyoto with possible side trip

November 18 - AM, travel by train to Kurashiki

November 19 - AM, travel by train to Hiroshima. Leave bags in locker, exploring the city.

In the evening, take the ferry to Miyajima, spending the night there.

November 20 - Explore Miyajima.
Midday, travel by train to Tokyo.

November 21 - Tokyo

November 22 - Tokyo with possible side trip to Nikko.

November 23 - AM flight to Singapore

QUESTIONS:
- Given it seems we will be constantly on the move, would you suggest us staying somewhere as a base? For example, should we stay in Kurashiki as a base to visit Hiroshima and Miyajima?

- Should we skip any of the places listed above? Are there any other places you would recommend seeing?

- Would you recommend any ryokans or hotels to stay?

Thanks in advance.

... 2007/8/18 07:23
I recommend a change of order of visiting as follows for more efficient travel:

Nagano - (by train and bus via Matsumoto) - Takayama - (bus) - Shirakawago - (bus) - Kanazawa - (train) - Kyoto

It is a very fast paced itinerary, indeed (on the move everyday, never able to settle down or leave your luggage in one place). But it is doable. Since you move quite big distances each day, I don't think that basing yourself in a base city would be a practical solution.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/8/18 07:42
Thanks Uji.

I do have some questions for you given your knowledge:

- Would you recommend visiting Kurashiki or should we bypass it?

- Should we spend two nights in Miyajima or is our current plan fine?

- Should we plan to stay in Takayama or Kanazawa an extra night?

... 2007/8/19 06:56
I think the answers depend mostly on personal preference.

Would you recommend visiting Kurashiki or should we bypass it?

If you want to slow down your itinerary a little bit, I would consider dropping Kurashiki or just spend there a few hours during the day instead of staying overnight.

Should we spend two nights in Miyajima or is our current plan fine?

If you had additional time, I would rather add it to Kyoto or Takayama, but this depends on your personal interests.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Still Planning and Another Question 2007/8/20 12:14
Thanks all.

As we've already been to Kyoto and Tokyo, we may eliminate Kyoto and reduce our stay in Tokyo to the one night. We're also considering dropping Kurashiki at this point in order to spend more time in Kanazawa and Takayama and possibly adding Matsumoto.

Another question for everyone, if we were to stay in the Chugoku region, what would you recommend seeing?
by b_in_ottawa rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/20 17:21
I agree with Uji that the answers to your questions would just depend on personal preference. But if it were me, I would spend more time in Matsumoto than Nagano. Matsumoto has a nice castle and is a nice town to walk around in. What were you planning on seeing in Nagano? I love both Takayama and Kanazawa, so it's a toss-up there. And, again agreeing with Uji, I think you should keep Kurashiki in, but perhaps for a few hours instead of overnight, if you want to save time. Kurashiki has nice old-style buildings (now mostly souvenir shops), along a nice canal, but there's not really so much to do there. But it's a nice place and nice for pictures, so worth a visit, I think. Given that this is only your second time to Japan, and you won't be here so long, I wouldn't recommend anything in the Chugoku region. The places you have already chosen are better.
by M rate this post as useful

Revised Plans Encore 2007/8/20 23:23
Thanks for your advice.

After doing some more research, I think our plans are becoming firmer. What are your thoughts on this itinerary:

November 9 - Arrive in Tokyo.
Take the train to Yamagata, visiting a friend.

November 10-11 - Yamagata and area.

November 12 - Early AM, train to Matsumoto.

November 13 - Bus to Takayama

November 14 - Takayama

November 15 - Bus to Shirakawa-go, spending the night in a gasshozukuri

November 16 - Bus to Kanazawa, rent a car, and drive up to the Noto-hanto peninsula. Spend a night in Wajima or Sosogi.

November 17 - Kanazawa

November 18 - Kanazawa

November 19 - Early AM train to Hiroshima. Leave bags in locker, exploring the city.

In the evening, take the ferry to Miyajima, spending the night there.

November 20 - Explore Miyajima and Hiroshima.

November 21 - AM train to Tokyo. Might stop in Kurashiki for a few hours, but undecided.

November 22 - Tokyo with possible side trip to Nikko.

November 23 - AM flight to Singapore

good 2007/8/21 10:15
I think that sounds good. Have fun! I've been to wajima before. There's not so much to see except lacquerware shops, but it's Japan's best and most expensive, so I felt like some of the shops were like mini museums. There is also a morning market where they sell the usual things AND lacquerware. I can't remember if it's every day or not, but it's worth going to. And the people there were really friendly.
by M rate this post as useful

Wajima 2007/8/22 00:15
I think we will only stop in Wajima to look around but our main interest is to see the coast and the Sea of Japan. We'll probably stay in Shogoshi to get a different experience.

only 1 night in miyajima 2007/8/22 01:16
I would recommend only 1 night in Miyajima. It is a sacred place. Shops close very early at 5-6pm. So better eat at Hiroshima for dinner and ferry into Miyajima. The deers are so interesting. They eat paper so watch out for your maps! Go for an evening and morning stroll in Miyajima. The night lights are spectacular. You will feel so blessed.
by unum rate this post as useful

Fall Travel to Yamagata 2008/8/17 13:00
Hi.

I will be visiting my son in Kanazawa starting Nov 6. I've been reading your entries, and it sounds like several of you know your way in that area. Does anyone know how to get to Yamagata from there, and how long it will take?
by Karen rate this post as useful

reply to this thread