Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

single room? 2007/8/18 07:48
My husband and I are planning a trip to Japan. I think we are going to book most of it ourselves so I was looking at hotels and such online. It seems easier to get a single room but sometimes it says for 2 people. I was thinking a single room was just one twin bed which does not sleep two people comfortably. Should I be looking at doubles or is the single actually bigger than I think? Please help :)
by Julie  

... 2007/8/19 07:07
I think they charge you per person rather than how many beds there are. At least that's how the ryokans seemed to work. A single is usually pretty small and I don't think you could share the bed without having back aches in the morning.
by Miko rate this post as useful

room 2007/8/19 07:25
They are pretty strict with how many people are in what kind of room in Japan. I very much doubt anyone will allow a couple to stay in a single room. Some places have "semi-double" rooms which is a small double bed- okay as long as neither of you is particularly large.

My parents stayed in a semi-double room when they visited Japan last year but they found it a bit cramped.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/19 07:41
Single = 1 bed/1 person
double = 1 bed/2 people
twin = 2 beds can either be two twin singles or 2 twin doubles
by John rate this post as useful

semi-double 2007/8/19 18:04
Especially many business hotels sell their single rooms as co called semi-double to a couple. The one bed is around 200 cm long and 140 cm wide. So check if this is enough for you. It is NOT two single beds in one room.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Hotel rooms 2007/8/19 19:47
Most of the time you pay for the hotelroom not per person. The single room is too small for 2 people (in fact it's usually also too small for one!). The semi-double room is good for one person, but usually too small for 2. The double is good for 2 persons. I travel on my own, but I always go for the double room because the single and semi-double are just too small. for example, the single rooms of the Shinagawa Prince hotel in Tokyo are only 14 sq meters (incl. shower)...
by Bert rate this post as useful

rooms 2007/8/20 08:15
I have stayed in "single" business hotel rooms and "semi-double"- the bed size is definitely different. The single is just that- a single bed. A semi-double bed is bigger, and does fit 2 people.
by Sira rate this post as useful

semi double is cozy for 2 people 2007/8/21 11:38
considering you need to sleep for only 5-7 hours, why not be cozy in a semi double? i tried it and it was okay. But then again I am slim and petite. If you are big, then go for the double for 1 person.
by demi mini me rate this post as useful

reply to this thread