Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Luggage & clothing 2007/8/24 18:20
My family & I (3 adults) will be travelling via JR rail(green pass) from Tokyo to Takayama & Kyoto at the end of September. Would 3 medium size travel bags be ok and would summer clothing be appropriate?
Appreciate your advice.
by lg  

... 2007/8/25 11:30
Everybody has his/her own way of traveling. But I recommend to pack as light as possible anywhere, especially in Japan. I personally usually bring one medium sized bag to be left in the hotel and a smaller bag to carry around during sightseeing.
by Uji rate this post as useful

luggage 2007/8/25 16:27
Three bags would be awkward to carry. I agree with Uji. When I travel I take one backpack (medium- large traveller's type) and a small shoulder bag for longer trips, or a smallish wheeled suitcase and a small backpack/ shoulder bag for shorter trips.

You will be going up and down a lot of stairs/ escalators at stations and when you do you will probably be wishing you had travelled lighter.

Summer clothes should still be okay but with a warmer sweater or jacket for evenings. It may not be shorts weather, depending on what you are used to, but a t-shirt may be enough during the day if it's fine.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Luggage & Clothing 2007/8/25 22:07
Thank you for your replies.

As you mentioned you would only take one small/medium bag plus shoulder bag.

However,in the case of 3 adults traveling together,
1 medium size wheeled bag each to manouvre would be too awkward? Should I then take two larger bags only bearing in mind we are staying for 12 days?

Thanks in advance
by lg rate this post as useful

luggage 2007/8/25 23:07
one wheeled bag per person and handled by this person ( Not one person handling the three bags ) and one smaller backpack per person is oK. Although when you return to your hotel in Tokyo why not to leave luggage in this hotel while going to Takayama and Kyoto?
by Peter rate this post as useful

OK 2007/8/26 00:22
Based on our experience, (2 adults and 1 12y/o) a medium wheeled bag per person and a shoulder bag should be OK provided each person is capable of lifting the bag on and off the train (there is frequently a gap between the train threshold and platform). Escalators can be tricky if the bags are overly heavy. As far as when you're on the train, especially having green car passes, you should be OK; there are USUALLY less passengers on the green cars, and more space in aisles if necessary. If your trips from Tokyo will be relatively short, it might be a good idea to consolidate a bit and leave a bag at your Tokyo hotel (presuming you're coming back to the same one). Most hotels are fine with this.
by Tay rate this post as useful

reply to this thread