Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagoya, Nara, Kyoto... 2007/8/26 11:35
To save having to take the luggages everywhere with us, when my family go to Osaka this October, we plan to just stay in an Osaka hotel and then just use the JR pass to travel to surrounding cities like Nagoya, Nara, and Kyoto, and then returning to Osaka at the end of the night. Is this a good idea? We are open to take another day to revisit the city if it turns out to be too big, but we just need to know if it is indeed a good idea. THanks
by wap  

... 2007/8/26 11:47
A nationwide Japan Rail Pass is likely to come more expensive than regular tickets, unless you make at least two side trips to Nagoya within the 7-day validity period of the pass.

The following page explains options and fares of traveling from Osaka to surrounding cities:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

What about this? 2007/8/26 12:41
We will ride the train using the pass from Tokyo to osaka, and then stay there for a few days, and then go to Nagoya, then back to Osaka, then Kyoto, then back to Osaka, and then Nara, and back to Osaka. If time permits, we will also visit other places. THen at last we will ride the train from Osaka going back to Tokyo.
by wap rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/26 13:16
We will ride the train using the pass from Tokyo to osaka, and then stay there for a few days, and then go to Nagoya, then back to Osaka, then Kyoto, then back to Osaka, and then Nara, and back to Osaka. If time permits, we will also visit other places. THen at last we will ride the train from Osaka going back to Tokyo.

You know Osaka/Kyoto/Nara are near each other so transportation between the two is not very expensive to begin with.

Also you should either:

Stop at Nagoya on your way to Osaka or stop at Nagoya on your way back from Osaka to Tokyo. Nagoya is btween Tokyo and Osaka, it is an inefficient use of time to go Tokyo-Osaka-Nagoya-Osaka.

If you are doing all of this within a 7 day time period (including your trip back to Tokyo) the yes a 7 day JR pass is good, if doing it outside of a 7 day period then regular tickets are cheaper.
by John rate this post as useful

I see 2007/8/26 13:49
I see now. So now I think our schedule would be Tokyo-Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Nagoya-Tokyo, with the pass first being operated from the Osaka trip. But we will still be staying in Osaka throughout the whole trip (after exploring Tokyo), so that means all those other cities are daytrips. Is it worth it now? Sorry, but I just have a really hard time figuring out if a Jr pass is indeed a good deal. And yes, the part of Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Nagoya-Tokyo will be done in 7 days. Thank you again.
by wap rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/26 14:18
I don't see whats so hard to figure out? Add it all up and you'll see it comes out that a 7 day JR Pass is cheaper then regular tickets.

Assuming you are activating the JR Pass the day you leave for Osaka from Tokyo and counting the day you come back from Osaka to Tokyo is all within 7 days .
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread