Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

do I need a visa? 2007/8/28 22:46
Me and my boyfriend are going to Japan for a year.

My boyfriend is going to teach English in Japan and I am going with him but I won't be working.
Do I need a visa?
by Pauline  

Visa questions 2007/8/29 10:10
Pauline,

The precise answer depends on what country you are from, but most English-speaking countries have visa waiver agreements with Japan, so you most likely will be able to get a 90-day (180-day if you're British) Temporary Visitor Visa. You won't be able to stay in Japan for a whole year, though, unless you find employment and qualify for a working visa.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

what if I get a job then? 2007/8/29 19:16
Thanks for your reply.

Is it easy to find employment in Tokyo? And when I get a job, will it be easy to get a working visa?

Thanks
by Pauline rate this post as useful

Visa options 2007/8/29 20:31
Pauline,

Is it easy to find employment in Tokyo? And when I get a job, will it be easy to get a working visa?

It is pretty easy to find employment, especially English teaching, but if you are looking for an employer that will sponsor you for a working visa, then you will need a university degree. Other options include the Working Holiday Visa, but that depends on your nationality.

Any suggestions? 2007/8/29 21:07
I am Polish nationality so I can stay in japan for up to 90 days without a visa.

And I haven't got a degree yet because I've taken a gap year at university with intention to spend this year in Japan.
So I guess I can't teach English.

What would you suggests? If I want to stay there for a year with my boyfriend? Are there any other jobs that could guarantee getting a visa?
by Pauline rate this post as useful

FAQ 2007/8/29 21:20
Pauline,

This is all stuff that has been answered numerous times here in this forum.
Without a university degree, your chances of getting a working visa are basically zero. If you were married to your boyfriend, you would qualify for a dependent visa, which would let you live - but not work - with him in Japan. Another option would be to enroll in a language school and apply for a student visa. That requires having enough money to support yourself for a year.

dependent 2007/8/29 22:06
Actually people on dependent visas can apply to Immigration for permission to work part-time.
by Sira rate this post as useful

how about 2007/8/30 08:20
Is it the degree that they care about or will 4 years at a university suffice?

I completed 4 years at a university but dropped out just short of finishing a computer science bachelor's degree due to health issues. Not sure I'd be able to go back and finish it now.
by Rob rate this post as useful

full degree 2007/8/30 08:23
Immigration asks you to show your actual diploma as part of the visa application process, so I'm afraid it is necessary to have completed the degree, yes.

. 2007/8/30 10:06
Rob university credits are valid for a few years, I forgot how many years (depending on school) but you might be able to take night classes/online classes "distance learning" classes from that university or another university and still get your degree. If you are only a few credits short, it is worth going for. Just for life experience and something to have.
by John rate this post as useful

planning this out 2007/8/30 11:25
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I do still have the credits in their system. (140+ credits acquired) Problem is that I've lost all interest in CS since I was last in school so I would have to push myself through high-level classes I could care less about.The other thing is that my health issues haven't really gone away during this time. If I were to return to school I would have to take it real slow, like one class a semester over a couple years to get those last 10 credits.Maybe that's what I'll end up doing.

Why is immigration interested in the degree anyway? Is it useless even to ask? If it helps, I once lived in Japan a long time ago and have some experience with the language, but that doesn't count for anything?

. 2007/8/30 11:43
10 credits go for it, doesn't matter what field the degree is in.

I don't understand how health problems can prevent you from going to school, but not prevent you from moving to to another country and working there. So there is a discrepancy there. But if you can it is certainly beneficial to get a degree.

Having a degree is a standard for a work visa in many countries, eg the United States/Canada/UK requires people wanting to work with full fledge work visas/permits etc (not WHV but real full work visas/permits).

visa 2007/8/30 12:25
Your previous experience in Japan doesn't count I'm afraid. Basically Immigration wants proof of a certain level of education.

Even if you are close to getting a degree, you don't technically have one so you don't technically qualify for the visa.

Each country sets certain requirements for foreign nationals to obtain a visa- Japan happens to require a degree.

too bad 2007/8/30 13:05
John, a discrepancy? Well, it is true that my health is gonna have to improve before I can go to Japan. I wouldn't attempt it right now. But also, part of my problem has to do with my eyes (which is why I quit computer science when I did). I doubt that teaching English (which is what I would prob'ly have to do at first) or interpreting (which is what I hope to be able to do later) would put the same demand on my eyes. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Sira, well they make the rules so I suppose that's that. Thanks for your help.

dependant visa 2007/9/3 01:10
Someone wrote that with a dependant visa you could apply for part time. In my humble opinion this could be a mistake. When married to a japanese national you can do any work you like, full-time or part time. About the work visa. Where exactly did you find that
one needs a university degree??
In fact the only thing written is that you need the qualification for doing the job !!! So if you apply for working as a hair dressers i am sure you don't have to show any diploma supplment. Right?
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html
by mary rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/3 03:38
Someone wrote that with a dependant visa you could apply for part time. In my humble opinion this could be a mistake. When married to a japanese national you can do any work you like, full-time or part time. About the work visa. Where exactly did you find that
one needs a university degree??
In fact the only thing written is that you need the qualification for doing the job !!! So if you apply for working as a hair dressers i am sure you don't have to show any diploma supplment. Right?
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html

Your humble opinion is incorrect.

One: A dependent visa is not when you are married to a Japanese National. A dependent visa is a visa given to someone dependent on a NON Japanese National living in Japan. If you are married to a Japanese National then you get a SPOUSE VISA which allows you to work full time, With a Dependent Visa you can apply for permission to work part-time only.

And YES you need a college degree for a full fledge work visa in lieu of 10 or so years of experience foe a skilled labourer. I suggest you read

Appendix 1
Ministerial Ordinance to Provide for Criteria pursuant to Article 7, Paragraph 1 (2) of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act

reply to this thread