Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Dec to Jan- itinerary questions 2007/9/7 15:33
Hello everyone!

I will be in Japan from December 29, 2007 until January 12th, 2008.
This is my second trip to Japan and have made some travel plans but have a few spare days and some questions.

So far:
Day 1, Dec 29 Arrive Tokyo
Day 2 Tokyo
Day 3 Tokyo
Day 4, Jan 1 Nikko
Day 5 Kyoto area
Day 6 Ise
Day 7 Kyoto Area
Day 8 Kyoto
Day 9 To Hiroshima
Day 10 Miyajima
Day 11 To beppu
Day 12 Beppu
Day 13 Aso-san
Day 14 ??
Day 15 Flight to Tokyo from Oita

So, my questions:

1. Will I be able to visit the temples at Nikko on January 1st?
2. What will likely be open- shops, tourist attractions on January 1st?
3. Will most shops be open between December 29th and january 1st in Tokyo, e.g. in the Akihabara area) and elsewhere?
4. Whilst in Tokyo I would like to visit some art galleries, etc. I have heard Ueono is quiet good. Any suggestions? A while ago an exhibiton of Zen art visited Australia and I woudl liek to see more.
5. What about purchasing art- are there any good areas in Tokyo or somewhere on my travel route above that would be good? I had a look around Kyoto but was not able to find any, although I was not looking very hard.
6. Are there any contemporary Zen art galleries, that also sell artworks?
7. I believe there is a temple in Tokyo that is open for New Years Eve night? Would anyone know where that is?
8. What else is there to do on new Years Eve night- i am traveling alone and am over 35 so heading out to bars (especially for under 25's) is probably not my thing, unless they are Jazz or Blues venues, i guess.

My itin:
1. Is one day enough in Hiroshima? Obviously, I will visit the Peace memorials.
2. is one day enough in Miyajima or too much and I can make both Hiroshima and Miyajima a single day?
3. Beppu in one day? or best to have two in Beppu?
4. Is Aso-san a full day?
5. What about Yufuin? Is that worth visiting?
6. As you can see I have one spare day, especially if I fly from Oita to Tokyo. Any suggestions on how to fill that day up, even if it means diverting off the track or adding another day in Kyoto or heading to Osaka.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and comments.
DJjapan
by DJjapan  

... 2007/9/7 18:56
I'll answer some of them.
1)New Year's attraction
Please see this page if you haven't.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html
2)Art in Tokyo
Ueno is good and there're more art galleries and musuems in Tokyo. If you are an art-lover, buy Grutt Pass.
http://www.museum.or.jp/grutto/about-e.html
As for schedule, check Metropolis.
http://www.metropolis.co.jp/
3)Yufuin/Beppu
Yufuin is one the most popular spa resort in Japan. But if you visit Beppu, I think you may skip Yufuin.
by JLady rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/7 19:30
Thanks, JLady, for your reply.

The links you supplied are excellent and I will be reviewing them, especially the Metropolis site.

regards,
DJjapan
by DJjapan rate this post as useful

Hiroshima and Miyajima 2007/9/7 19:33
.one day would do both. imo
by big bob rate this post as useful

hiroshima and miyajima 2007/9/7 19:50
thanks, big bob.

I will take another look at the info on the web more closely and work from there.

cheers

... 2007/9/8 01:07
I recommend to visit Ise on your way from Tokyo to Kyoto rather than in a side trip from Kyoto.

Will I be able to visit the temples at Nikko on January 1st?

Yes, but you should expect the shrines and temples (and the trains there) to be very crowded.

7. I believe there is a temple in Tokyo that is open for New Years Eve night? Would anyone know where that is?

All temples and shrines will be open and packed with people.

Is one day enough in Hiroshima?

Yes, one day is enough to see the main attractions of Hiroshima City. Half a day is enough to just see the Peace Park and museum.

2. is one day enough in Miyajima or too much and I can make both Hiroshima and Miyajima a single day?

It is possible but packed to see both in one day. And in your itinerary, don't forget to allocate time for traveling between the cities. This can easily consume half a day.

Beppu in one day? or best to have two in Beppu?

I recommend to spend there at least a night and half a day to enjoy some baths.

Is Aso-san a full day?

Seeing the crater itself takes just 30 minutes. You don't want to stay longer because of the toxic gases. There are some other attractions that can fill half a day. Access to the mountain will be most time consuming:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4552.html

5. What about Yufuin? Is that worth visiting?

Only if you like high interest in hot springs. Note that buses and trains between Beppu and Mount Aso stop in Yufuin along the way.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/8 08:14

Thanks for the reply, Uji.
Ise on the way to Kyoto? I had thought about it but discounted it, more because it made travel plans slightly more complicated. Perhaps I should review this.

Looking at Miyajima and Hiroshima some more last night I decided that ½ day in Hiroshima and a day in MiyaJima should do both perfectly. Thanks for the confirmation.

Well, Beppu or Yufuin? I think for easy traveling I will limit it to Beppu- hot springs are good but...

DJjapan
by Djjapan rate this post as useful

Art Galleries in Tokyo/Kyoto 2007/12/19 21:00
Hi,

I will be in Tokyo and Kyoto during January, 2008.

A few years ago I saw an exhibition in Australia of japanese art, titled "Zen Art" (or similar- it was a log time ago). I liked it a lot.

Are there any particular areas in Tokyo or Kyoto that may have galleries of "Zen Paintings" that also sell such paintings?

thanks in advance,
DJjapan

reply to this thread