Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to Talk to My GF's 11-year old Son 2007/9/12 08:09
I'm meeting my Nihonjin GF's 11-year old son for the first time. Leaving aside questions about how he will like (or dislike) me, what language rules (if any) are there?

I speak rudimentary Nihongo.
How should I address him? Do I call him XXX-san? I don't want to be condescending and yet I don't want to appear too much like a clueless gaijin. Is there a taboo in being too friendly?

I am bringing him a small gift - how should that be handled?

These questions may seem simplistic, but I need a little advice :-)
by Bill  

. 2007/9/12 10:48
To address to an 11 years old boy, "xx-kun" would be most appriate and safe.
"xx-san" would sound ridiculous.
by . rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/12 23:26
The best bet is to ask his mom. After all, she knows him more tham anybody.
by Miki-chan rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/9/12 23:42
The form of address is not obvious to someone with rudimentary language skills...

But now I know - thanks. My understanding is XX-chan for a small child or possibly a girl, XX-kun for a boy, and XX-san for all high-school to adults.

Miki-san, as usual, good practical advice - 'ask the Mom' :-) What is the protocol for gifts to the son? I've cleared the gift with the mother - 'would he like such and such?'

As much as possible I am trying to respect the culture - what a concept for an American, eh?
by Bill rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/9/12 23:47
These basic questions are not at all obvious to someone with rudimentary language skills, so thanks.
Miki-san: As usual, a practical answer - 'ask the Mom'. What is the protocol on giving a gift to the son? I have already cleared it with the mother...

May I? 2007/9/13 00:43
Hi Bill,

He's just a kid. You used to be one. Take it easy. There's no "protocol" in giving gifts to an 11 year old.

I guess people would usually hand it out and say, "I thought you might like this." or something, right? That's all there is to it.

But as for special behavior, try not to touch him or get unnecessarily close to him. Boys that age prefer a certain distance with people.

Other than that, just be yourself, be confident and don't worry about whether he'll like you or not, but just be interested in him and hope that you two can become friends. Children will sense all that.
by Uco, mom of a 15 yr old boy rate this post as useful

um.. 2007/9/13 00:43
I don't think anybody know the answer to your questions unless one has been in your shoe. I have no answers to you but I would imagine best way is to put yourself in 11 year old boy's shoe. He may not like you or shy away from you, he is 11 year old and put yourself back when you were 11.
Go with the flow(his flow). You said you can speak some Japanese so you have to go with the flow, no problem there. Be cool, don't be pushy. Maybe you should learn to origami from your GF. That may break the ice.
Much Aloha.
by cc rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/13 02:15
It is normal to be nervous to see her son for the first time. Try to relax and stay neutral. See his reactions and go from there. Try to look at him as an individual person. Good luck. I hope he will be your buddy.
by Miki-chan rate this post as useful

Thanks again. 2007/9/13 05:00
Good advice. I had already figured out that I can't be anything other than myself, but just didn't want to commit any gross blunders...

reply to this thread