Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bringing supplements to Japan 2007/9/21 02:20
I'm visiting Japan for the first time in November for a week (not too much time see everything, but oh well). I workout regularly and take supplements on a daily basis. I had a friend who vacationed for 2 weeks and he did not take any protein based supplements, while on vacation, his body seizured from his reduced protein intake. I highly doubt I'd be able to workout while I'm there, so my question is whether or not I can bring unopened tub of protein and /or powdered supplements (also in pill form) into Japan? If not, are there nutritional stores in Tokyo where I can purchase the supplements I need? Thanks in advance for your responses =)
by Terrence  

supplements 2007/9/23 09:52
You can buy protein supplements at a store called Oshman's in central Tokyo- easiest to find branch is opposite Harajuku station to the left.

Seems heavy stuff to carry.

I'd be more worried about seizing from not taking the supplements- that seems to be a very hars reaction. Does cutting the supplements often cause this kind of reaction? What are you doing to your body by taking them? What exactly happened when your friend "seized"? Cramps? Are you sure it was caused by cutting supplements and not by dehydration for example? Isn't that something you think might be worth checking out before you continue to take the supplements?

by Sira rate this post as useful

useful web site 2007/9/23 15:32
Terrence, try this web site for more info: www.customs.go.jp

good luck !
by osvaldo br rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/9/24 02:12
Sira: I'm just taking whey/casein protein to supplement my workouts. Because I exercise frequently, (usually 2-3 hrs Mon-Fri) I need the extra protein intake. I've been doing this for the past year or so. My friend was on a weight gainer formula, which he didn't take for several weeks and his body went into shock. He got sick/weak and was pretty mucy bed ridden his whole trip. But if there are supplement stores in Tokyo I can always pick up what I need there. The other supplements I take is a preworkout "stack" so I can workout longer and tire less quickly (Which may not be necessary while I vacation since I won't be working out as regularly). But keeping up with the protein is something I want to do. I just don't want customs to think Im trying to smuggle illegal substances into the country! Thanks for your responses everyone.
by Terrence rate this post as useful

protein supplements 2007/9/24 09:50
He actually went into shock? Is he absolutely sure what happened was caused by stopping the protein supplement and not by some virus he picked up on the plane or on arrival in a new country? How does he know?

There is no real physiological reason why reducing protein intake for a few days or weeks would cause that kind of reaction.

Most people who take supplements are actually getting way more protein than they actually need and are causing their kidneys to have to do a lot of extra work to process it all. If anything reducing a high protein intake temporarily should give the system a needed rest.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/24 17:02
I don't know the exact type you are taking now, but there seem to be tons of different protein supplements sold in Japan as well. The gym I go to in Tokyo (a chain called Tipness) always has some on display/sales promotion, and online stores list a lot of whey protein products too. If I were you, I might bring a package or two of the type I'm used to, but will probably buy additional supply locally here :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Iso Pro Whey Isolate 2007/9/26 02:17
Thats helpful, I will remember Tipness when I visit. I currently use Iso Pro Whey Isolate, but I'm not overly concerned /w the brand. Just as long as I get to take my supplements. But I'm concerned BRINING some protein powder (especially through the airport) will be a problem. They might think I'm smuggling drugs! And it also doesn't help that my current protein is vanilla (white powder)..so you guys get the idea =) If possible, I'm going to bring some /w me initially and just buy a tub when I get to Tokyo. Anyone ever have problems bringing protein over throught the airport? Thanks!

Response to Sira 2007/9/26 02:25
You are right that in some instances its protein overload (but that is the point especially if gaining weight is concerned). My friend who suffered the seizure didn't literally keel over. He became weak and suffered cramps throughout his trip. He didn't get "sick" from eating bad food or catching a cold. He had a gym available to him to workout, which he frequented. But the only thing he didn't do was maintain his protein intake which he felt contributed to his condition while he vacationed. I hope this clarifies things, I just want to avoid this if possible when I visit Tokyo.

protein 2007/9/27 02:20
powdered milk added to liquid milk and cottage cheese would give you whey plus casein. Professional bodybuilders take weeks off from exercise and supplements every so often. as long as you eat fish, meat, dairy products,tofu, you aren 't going to be protein deficient.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

protein 2007/9/27 03:50
Hey big boy:
from a bodybuilding site:
"Most of the time, however, post workout I rely on my "poor man's protein shake" which mainly consists of skim-milk powder in skim milk, with possibly three cooked egg whites" (Japanese Business hotels have a hot water jug like kettle. could boil egg there).
another recipe:
1 cup skim milk
1 banana
1 package of Carnation Instant Breakfast (there's also a lo-carb mix)
(any flavor--strawberry, chocolate, cappacino, French vanilla, chocolate malt)
I remember seeing at 7-11 protein drinks from WEIDER that came in small pouches with a built-in nozzle (instead of a straw)
by Red frog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread