Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does a rail pass make sense? 2007/9/23 06:17
I will be in Japan for nine nights, ten days.

Arriving Tokyo, travelling immediately to Osaka.

Three nights is Osaka, with two day trips to Kyoto.

Two nights in Takayama. One night in Shirakawa.

Travel to Tokyo - three nights in Tokyo.

Thank you!!!
by Elizabeth  

... 2007/9/23 12:54
A 14-day Japan Rail Pass will probably come slightly more expensive than regular tickets, but the difference is small enough to go for the pass, nevertheless, in my opinion. It will give you more flexibility.
by Uji rate this post as useful

7 day JR Pass for nine nights 2007/9/23 18:05
Even a 7 day JR Rail Pass makes sense. Start it with your travel Tokyo-Osaka and end on the seventh day in Tokyo. For the remaining days in Tokyo pay subway, JR rail and private rail locally plus Yen 1000 to Yen 3000 on the last day to Narita airport.
Comes cheaper than JR 14 day Pass.
by Peter rate this post as useful

follow up 2007/9/24 01:46
So can I use the JR pass on the following routes:

- Narita to Tokyo
- Bullet train from Tokyo to Osaka
- Local train from Osaka to Kyoto

? Thanks so much - all the pass options are so confusing!
by Elizabeth rate this post as useful

JR Pass 2007/9/24 01:53
You can just get the shinkansen from Kyoto to Osaka. The JR pass costs about the same as a shinkansen return from Tokyo to Kyoto so you cant lose :)
by Stan Cox rate this post as useful

JR Pass 2007/9/24 01:55
Ooops sorry. Meant to say that the 7 DAY JR Pass costs the same as the ..........

. 2007/9/24 02:00
Elizabeth, the answer is YES to all 3.

Stan, if someone is in Central Osaka, say Osaka Station in the Umeda district, its faster to just board a rapid train from Osaka to Kyoto. If they got on at Osaka, then a transfer would be needed at ShinOsaka, and the transfer would probably make the trip to Kyoto longer then if they had stayed on a local or rapid train.
by John rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/24 08:40
Elizabeth, I made a mistake counting nights. As Peter wrote, a 7-day pass is actually the best solution.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Sorry 2007/9/24 15:14
Ah, Sorry John my knowledge of Osakas geography let me down.

Great! 2007/9/28 07:40
Thanks so much for the info!!

A question on the classes. Is it worth it to upgrade to the higher class train? Thanks!

. 2007/9/28 08:51
The higher class train?
Where?

. 2007/9/28 22:59
I understand that there are two classes of pass that you can get, ordinary class and green class. Is the green class that much nicer that it's worth it?

Green cars 2007/9/28 23:22
Hi, for most routes standard class is great in my opinion. On some local trains it can make a difference between the long seats by the window against two individual seats in the green car. On the Shinkansen normal class is very comfy in my opinion. Saying that I'm thinking of getting a green car pass over Christmas and New Year, but that's mainly as a lot of trinas will be booked out this time of year.
by Paul rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/29 01:15
Elizabeth there are many discussions on the Japan Rail Pass green car vs. ordinary car. SOOO many discussions. If you want to spend the money fine, if you don't regular cars are just fine as is. I never get the green car pass.

---

Paul, getting a Green Car Pass does not increase your chances of getting a seat, especially on the peak travel days of New Years. On these days trains are traveling at over capacity, with all seats sold out. The only real way to increase your chances of getting a seat is booking in advance as possible during the peak days. If you show up late with a Green pass planning to travel in the green car, you might find yourself standing or sitting in an ordinary unreserved car.

reply to this thread