Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best choice for studying Japanese? 2007/9/24 17:45
I've loved anime since early elementary school and my fascination with the culture and society of Japan has done nothing but grown since then, and I have for many years now planned to study Japanese once I finished school.

I graduated from High School a few months ago and have started my gap year. I have not yet applied to any universities as I am unsure where I want to study.
There are several possibilities that I know of, and perhaps more which I don't:
-First choice is the local University: I'm from Belgium and there is only one good university which offers a Japanese language course. The teachers are meant to be highly qualified and well regarded, however, contrary to British universities it does not offer a year in Japan. I would be happy to take this course but I would dearly love to stay in Japan for an extented period and I think it would greatly help in learning the language and customs.
-Second choice is the only British University that I should not have trouble getting into considering my average grades, the University of Central Lancashire. This university however does not seem to be that well regarded, although I have no idea of the quality of their Japanese language course, but contrary to the Belgian university they do offer a year exchange in Japan.
-Third option, is studying Japanese in Japan. I admit to knowing very little on this. I read about certain schools offering courses for foreigners but what of universities? Which instituations would make the best choice? And how costly is the option likely to prove?

I hope I can receive some advice, insight and help into deciding my future.

Thank-you
by japanlovingboy  

Japanese University 2007/9/24 22:07
To study at an European university and then going to Japan for one or two semesters is a very good idea. If you want to study at Japanese university immediately you would need language skills in a JLPT 1 level without language examination or JLPT with examination. To reach JLPT 1 you will need some years of learning Japanese language. If you can afford it: Add summer language courses in Japan during your European semester holidays.
by Peter rate this post as useful

German speaking? 2007/9/24 22:22
Do you know that around 16 universities in Germany offer Japanologie as bachelor study ?

Studying In Japan 2007/9/24 23:12
Peter; I know English and French only.

I also think it would be best for me to spend time in Japan to study but unsure which option(s) I should choose in order to make that happen...
by japanlovingboy rate this post as useful

University with Japan option 2007/9/24 23:23
Then the British university sounds good, you said it includes stay in Japan, too. From the local university here ( Bavaria ) all students MUST go to Japan, most costs covered by sponsors, for at least one semester after some semesters of study in Germany. But I also know that around 80 % of all starters do not finish the bachelor as for them the speed they must learn Japanese is too fast.

British University 2007/9/24 23:33
If I were to apply to the British university I would need to research more into the quality of the institution...
In that university; it is the third year of the 4 year Japanese course which is spent in Japan I believe.
by japanlovingboy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread