Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what about contraception? 2007/9/24 21:18
in two weeks time i'm going with my husband to Japan. we'll be living here for a year.normally in our country(Poland)i'm getting contraception in a form of injections(Depo-provera) every 3 months. is it possible that someone in a hospital in Japan would make me an injection if i bring to them Depo-prov? is it available in Japan or should i buy it in advance, before going to Japan?
by Eve  

... 2007/9/24 22:43
Another thread on exactly the same shot:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+40194

I can tell so far that those shots are definitely not available in Japan, but have no idea about whether hospitals would do injection for you if you have the shots. I will post again if I find out.
by AK rate this post as useful

thanks 2007/9/24 23:38
well, the other option is to buy several Evra patches, and ask family to send it to me later. since in japan is very humid, i'm not sure if it would be good option thou...
by Eve rate this post as useful

To add 2007/9/25 16:53
- I happened to go to my gyneacologist today so I asked about it; they (at least THAT clinic) said they wouldn't give you the injection if you brought the shot, considering that they cannot be responsible for the contents of the shot. If you came with prescription or any other doctor's advice from your country/referral, still they will have to check with your doctor. (Are the shots available over-the-counter in your country?) Though there are importers who would import Depo-provera into Japan on your behalf, the rest seems to be "at your own risk" thing. (I really don't know what those people who buy them in Japan do with them...)

- I've just read about Evra patch, but if it stays on the skin even if you take a shower, then it should be (just in my opinion, though) OK in the humid season as well.

Just for your information, currently there are about ten or so contraceptive pills (all tablet forms) that are available in Japan, available at gyneacologist upon initial check-up and subsequently annual check for uterine cervix cancer.

not so easy 2007/9/25 18:41
Thank you for all information, I really appreciate that ;)

If i ask my gyn. to prescribe me few shots in advance he without any problem would do that.

Depo-provera taken in a different concentraction and frequency is kind of treatment against cervix cancer ... so maybe for this purpose it is used in Japan.

I was using Evra patches for almost 2 years but i still kept loosing them. I'm a fitness instructor and it seems like my sweat is too hard to wear a patch for a week.

Unfortunately due to my stomach problems i cannot take any contraceptive pills.

As you can see, contraception is my personal difficult case ;)

kinda related.. 2007/9/26 04:06
this is not 100% related but it seems to be quite hard to get certain medications in japan.
I needed to buy the morning afterpill there.. not a single chemist sold it. Ended up having to go to a private clinic and it cost 20000 yen!
here in uk I take it for granted that i can walk into any chemist and buy it. and get it for free cuz im under 24. I was really surprised (and tight for cash) after that!
by nunu2 rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/26 17:37
To nunu2,

Well, here in Japan, I take it for granted that I have to go to a gynecologist for such pills. Different countries have different laws and regulations concerning pharmaceuticals and foodstuffs (additives as well) in line with their policies and thinking, so certain differences cannot be helped.

Having said that, that fee of 20,000 yen sounds a bit steep, though it is not outrageously expensive, considering that morning-after pill is not covered by insurance at Japanese doctors. Nevertheless, I am sorry to hear that you had to go through that, and on top of that being shocked by the fee as well :(

To Eve, 2007/9/28 13:33
Update info. from my gynecologist (in Tokyo); I told her an acquaintance of a friend from Europe was asking about this because she had some stomach condition due to which she could not take pill form (oral contraception = OC).

- What she would definitely NOT do is to inject the Depo-provera you bring, because this form of contraception is not permitted in Japan, so she can not do this as medical practice. (So if you bring any, you will have to do the injection yourself!)

- If you want any other contraceptive shots, the same or equivalent substances as Depo-provera are available in Japan as therapeutic treatment for certain symptoms/ailments, so if you come and consult her (or other gynecologist), she can give you the *equivalent* shots. If you can bring copies of check-up records from your gynecologist, that would make her initial check-up easier.

- If you want patches, there are several kinds of patches available in Japan as well. While all OC in Japan contains both progestogen and estrogen, patches permitted in Japan contain only estrogen. While my doctor recommended contraception with both hormones, she also said for a year or two, single-hormone type would be no problem. Also patches are covered by insurance in Japan. She was also of the opinion that patches shouldn't fall off that easily, because you can even take bath with it on :)

- If you want gel, there is a type or two of gel contraception available as well. This contains both progestogen and estrogen. This is good for women with sensitive skin. It is not covered by insurance in Japan, and one month's worth costs about 4,000 to 5,000 yen. (OC in Japan costs about 2,000 - 3,000 yen a month.)

If you are coming to Tokyo, depending on where you will be, I can refer you to this doctor. She speaks English as well. I am leaving my e-mail address in the "e-mail address (optional)" box, so if you want to, you could contact the site administrator to get in touch with me.

to AK 2007/9/28 20:24
I'm so thankful for this precious information :)i don't think i would be able to find anywhere such specific information on this topic.
Indeed i will be in Tokyo.i've just sent an email to admin. of this site.

reply to this thread