Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

16 and running to Japan. 2007/9/26 04:58
Hi there.

I'm 16 years old, and I come from north wales. I find the modern side of life very boring, and i don't have much going on for me at home.

I'm hoping to live and become an Aikido student in Japan. I need a break, and I want a contradictory way of life.

I guess my question is, is where are the traditional areas in Japan??

I know this probably sounds like I watch to many movies...
But are there any self-sustained small villages in traditional Japan that I could go to work and live? I'm prepared to do any agricultural and physical/practical work in exchange for some accommodation and martial arts training.

I'm trying to save up some money so I can get accommodation for at least 6 months before I can find somewhere to settle down.

Any valuable information will be of great use.. thanks
by William  

.. 2007/9/26 11:11
Your problem: You need a Visa.

And you probably won't be able to qualify for any visa at the moment, and I don't think many rural farmers are going to sponsor a work visa in the future for something like that.

I'm prepared to do any agricultural and physical/practical work in exchange for some accommodation and martial arts training.
Lay off the films for a while..
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/26 11:21
I'm afraid that there's no such place you're looking for, but if you want to experience Japan, working for a farm and getting accomodation and meals (but no money) for up to the period that your tourist visa allows, you might be interested in WWOOF Japan.
http://www.wwoofjapan.com/main/
by . rate this post as useful

more research needed 2007/9/26 15:43
I'm afraid that if you come to Japan without a large amount of funds you will find the modern side of life will hit you full in the face as soon as you get here.

#1- the visa. I'm afraid no Japanese farmer, or any other employer would sponsor a 16-year-old foreigner who speaks little or no Japanese to do any work- there is a lot of paperwork involved in getting a visa and you are quite possibly under the age limit for a work visa anyway.

To come on a student visa you need to provide evidence that you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your studies while you are here.

#2- most aikido and other martial arts dojos are actually in or very near the cities, as that's where the students are. Most people who practice aikido here work at ordinary jobs and study aikido in their spare time.

#3 Other than towns preserved as tourist attractions and national parks, all of Japan is very modernised. Even in rural areas you will see vending machines on the side of the road, convenience stores, power lines and concrete everywhere and have to deal with bureaucracy.

Cities like Tokyo and Osaka make North Wales look quite inviting to someone who wants to get away from the modern side of life I would imagine.

I'm afraid your image of Japan isn't really based on reality, and it seems you haven't really researched a lot into the possibilities of doing what you want to do (I realise you have made a start by asking your question here.)

If you wait a few more years and save some money, as a UK citizen you will soon be eligible for a Working Holiday visa. You will then be able to spend a year in Japan, perhaps working at first at a ski resort or a bar to save money and then you could spend the rest of your stay practicing aikido or similar.

Good luck, I hope you get to realise your dream in some way in the future.
by Sira rate this post as useful

..... 2007/9/26 22:53
"#3 Other than towns preserved as tourist attractions and national parks, all of Japan is very modernised. Even in rural areas you will see vending machines on the side of the road, convenience stores, power lines and concrete everywhere and have to deal with bureaucracy."

I don't understand why you say so with certainty.
It seems as if you visited all over Japan since you came here...

by Miho rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/26 23:10
Its not a certainly, you might probably find some rural place somewhere that has no electricity and no modern accessories?, buts more of an exception then the norm.

Point 3 is really the least of the OPs worries.

The "traditional areas" if you read in the OPs mind is fictional movie script items.
by John rate this post as useful

rural areas 2007/9/26 23:41
A village somewhere in Japan which has no electricity? I find that hard to believe, but if you know that such a place exists, sure.

Someone above also said "There's no such place"- I'm inclined to agree, even if I haven't been "all over Japan".
The same person suggested WWOOFing- I also think that sounds like a great option for this guy, so he could get his rural Japan experience and a feel for the country before committing himself to anything.

Of course there are beautiful natural places left in Japan- the Senjogahara Plateau in Tochigi for example is lovely, but there aren't any jobs available there, it's a nature reserve.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread