Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advise for 11 days Japan itinerary 2007/9/29 21:27
I'm planning itinerary for travelling to Japan on October for 11 days. I will fly in to Tokyo and fly out from Osaka. I'd like to receive your feedback. Is it feasible at all? I have the feeling that it might be a bit packed, and I also don't know if I should make shorter visit in some places and devote more time to other places or even change the itinerary arrangement. Hope you could suggest something. I thank you all in advance for any help provided.

Oct 18,
arrive Narita airport 7.30am. sight seeing Tokyo and stay overnight

Oct 19,
Go to Yokohama/Kamakura on day trip and back to Tokyo
Please advise if Yokohama/Kamakura is worth to visit or better I skip it for other places?

Oct 20,
Go to Nikko (I consider to stay overhight here, but please advise if you think I could do for day visit and back to tokyo, or is it worth to stay more days here?) Could I use JR pass to visit Nikko from Tokyo?

Oct 21,
Go to Hakone (day trip) and back to Tokyo

Oct 22, (activate 7 days JR pass)
go to Kanazawa or Takayama and stay overnight. Is it feasible to visit both places at the same time? if not, please advise which place more worth to visit, kanazawa or Takayama?

Oct 23,
go to Kyoto and stay overnight

oct 24,
sight seeing in Kyoto

Oct 25,
go to nara (day trip) and back to kyoto to stay over night

Oct 26,
go to Miyajima island and on the way visit Hiroshima, stay over night at Miyajima. Please advise if you think stay over night in Hiroshima and visit Miyajima on day trip is a better option.

Oct 27
go to Osaka and sight seeing

Oct 28,
depart from kansai airport at 1pm

-Is there enough time to visit Tokyo and Kyoto? Am I trying to see too many things in too short the time?
-do u think too much time in trains (maybe there is no way to avoid this)?
Thank you all in advance, I really appreciate your advise and input.
ronme
by ronme  

... 2007/9/29 22:53
Is there enough time to visit Tokyo and Kyoto?

No! You have only one afternoon in Tokyo on day 1. I think it is not enough. One full in Kyoto is a little bit better, but still very rushed.

Takayama and Kanazawa cannot be visited on one day! In fact, I recommend to allocate at least 24 hours to Takayama alone, not including time to access the remote city.

Am I trying to see too many things in too short the time?

Yes! Unless you like a very fast travel pace and do not mind spending lots of time on trains.

do u think too much time in trains (maybe there is no way to avoid this)?

Yes. I think you should drop one major destination (e.g. Takayama or Hiroshima) and maybe one or two daytrips (e.g. Hakone or Yokohama).
by Uji rate this post as useful

advice 2007/9/30 06:22
your itinerary might work if you already had been to Japan several times and only want to see briefly a few places that you really liked on a previous trip.
as it is it is unrealistic. There is no way that you can see Kamakura and Yokohama in one day for example. Even seeing only a few major sights in each place take a whole day. Nikko? one day is just enough to see the Tokugawa shrines. There is a lot to see there. And there are so many other sights in and around Nikko! etc. etc. You must plan for a couple of days when your body will scream " I can't take any more walking!" I would suggest that you choose either the Kanto or the Kansai and explore it leisurely. As it is each area has more sights than one can possibly see even if one stayed for months. Or spend 1/2 the trip in each area but cut back, cut back. There is no way that you can "see" Tokyo or Kyoto or even Osaka in only one day!. I know that many tourists want to see as many "must see" places in a country as possible but this is impossible and months laters you can't remember if that photo was here or there and did you really go to that place?? it is all a blur. Better to take the time to savor a few places.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/30 09:46
by ... rate this post as useful

thanks & new itinerary 2007/9/30 12:28
Thanks for the advise, and after explore the suggestion, I had revise the itinerary as below :

Thu, 18 Oct 7.20 Arrive narita

Fri, 19 Oct Tokyo

Sat, 20 Oct kamakura (day trip)

Sun, 21 Oct Nikko (day trip)

Mon, 22 Oct hakone (day trip)

Tue, 23 Oct Travel by shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto (3 hours) and spend the afternoon and evening exploring Kyoto.

Wed, 24 Oct kyoto

Thu, 25 Oct Nara (day trip)

Fri, 26 Oct In the early morning, travel from Kyoto to Hiroshima (2 hours) and visit the Peace Park. In the afternoon, continue to Miyajima and overnight there.

Sat, 27 Oct Get up early and spend a few more hours on Miyajima. Leave the island around eleven for Himeji (2 hours). Spend the afternoon exploring Himeji Castle. Return to Osaka in the evening (3-4 hours).

Sun, 28 Oct Depart from Kansai airport

- with this scenario, I will be based in Tokyo for 5 night, kyoto for 3 night, miyajima 1 night and osaka 1 night, with day trip to places nearby. Do think this scenario feasible? should I consider to skip hakone and spent more days in kyoto?

I will book accomodation ASAP based on this itinerary, as advise that it is probably hard to find accomodation in kyoto for oct.
by ronme rate this post as useful

hotels 2007/9/30 14:59
don't forget that you als ostay in hotels in Osaka or even Kobe. These 2 places aren't that far from Kyoto and there are lots of trains to/ from kyoto.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

reply to this thread