Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trip to Osaka & Kyoto 2007/10/1 18:27
My friend and I are planning a trip to Osaka & Kyoto early next year. Can anyone recommend some cheap & good ryokans in Osaka & Kyoto?

Also, this is my 1st trip to Osaka & Kyoto, just wondering if it is easy to travel around Osaka & Kyoto?

Thanks!
by Emily  

... 2007/10/2 20:06
Yes it is easy to explore these cities. If you want to stay in ryokan, Kyoto has more options than Osaka. You can consider kyoto as your base for your trip to Osaka/Nara/Himeji.

Japan guesthouses
http://japaneseguesthouses.com/index.htm
Rakuten
http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/en/
by JLady rate this post as useful

Trip to Osaka & Kyoto 2007/10/3 00:00
Hi JLady, thanks for your reply. I would like to stay in an affordable but convenient ryokan (preferably near the main tourist attractions or train stations.

Any particular one to recommend?

Thanks!
Emily.
by Emily rate this post as useful

nope.. 2007/10/3 00:49
Hi there ..I am sorry but I disagree with J Ladys advice .

Nara, Kyoto and Osaka are completely different entities and to suggest that Kyoto is a central hub to the area is just plain wrong. Nara for example is way more interesting in terms of history than Kyoto. Osaka also has great food and nightlife, you wouldnt want to miss out on that by having to get the train back to Kyoto...

Kyoto is not the be all and end all of Kansai..

by Hi there rate this post as useful

Kyoto and Osaka 2007/10/3 02:31
Kyoto is one of the most interesting cities in Japan, in my opinion. Of course, others may have a difference in opinion. Any trip to Kansai, in my opinion, should be centered around Kyoto.

As for onsens, there is a great onsen in Kobe. A side trip to Kobe is suggested if you have the time.
by TravelToJapan rate this post as useful

:) 2007/10/3 11:22
To hi there..
I don't think J-Lady is saying that they are similar.
She is saying to stay in Kyoto and take day trips from Kyoto to Osaka, Nara and himeji.
by Amelia rate this post as useful

Kansai 2007/10/3 12:40
JLady answered a questions about Ryokans and yes she is 100 % right in saying that there are more ryokans in Kyoto than in Osaka etc.
I have visited the Kansai 7 times in just a bit over 10 years and have used either Kobe or Osaka or Kyoto as base on different years. if one, like me, has no interest whatsoever in so called nightlife Kyoto is a great place to stay. by the way it does have way more historical sights than Nara.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/3 15:00
to suggest that Kyoto is a central hub to the area is just plain wrong.

No, it is not wrong. Both, Osaka and Nara, can be reached in less than an hour by train from Kyoto. So, those who have an interest in history and tradition and who prefer to stay in one base city rather than staying in many different cities, they should certainly consider making Kyoto their base city for exploring the Kansai area, especially if they want to experience a stay at a ryokan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread