Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo to Kyoto and back in a day? 2007/10/2 06:48
Anyone think its possible to comfortably go from Tokyo to Kyoto for a day trip and back?
by alan  

Tokyo-Kyoto 2007/10/2 19:23
Even by shinkansen, you won't have much time in Kyoto - it is a beautiful city. Besides, you have to factor in the costly train ride.
by Akira rate this post as useful

daytrip to Kyoto 2007/10/2 19:51
With an early nozomi shinkansen for example leave Tokyo 06.26 h you arrive Kyoto 08.46 h, just right for many sights opening at 09.00 h and you can return for example after 9 hours of sightseeing at 20.09 h to arrive Tokyo 22.20 h, the fare is around 27000 Yen.
by Peter rate this post as useful

tokyo to kyoto 2007/10/2 20:34
so if we had 9 hours in Kyoto what would be a good itineray - do you have any suggestions?
by Alan rate this post as useful

9 hours in Kyoto 2007/10/2 20:58
Outside Kyoto station ( Karasumadori exit, the side where Kyoto tower is ) buy a oneday Kyoto City Bus Only ticket for Yen 500. Bus to Nijo jo, the castle of the shogun ( opens at 08.45 h already ) then bus to Ryoan ji, a stone garden, short bus or walk to Kinkaku ji, the Golden Pavillon, by bus to the Daitoku ji area to visit Daisen in, a garden, from there by bus to Ginkaku ji, the Silver Pavillon with its garden, if at that point it is not later but 14.00 h walk along the Path of Philosopher or by bus to Heian jingu for a view from outside, any further temple in the easten side of Kyoto, last point of visit by bus to Kiyomizu dera ( make it the last to visit as it closes at 18.00 h while most other temples close between 16.00 and 17.00 h ), by bus to Kyoto station. Have dinner in the train by buying a ekiben ( boxed cold meal ) at the station.

by Peter rate this post as useful

tokyoto 2007/10/2 21:04
I'd say that was doable, I recently did a day trip from Tokyo to Osaka, which is one stop further if I remember correctly. I went for the sumo. It's tiring, but hey, if you're on holiday and it's the only chance you'll get to see Kyoto, I'd say Go For It!! Sleep on the train home if you're worn out!
by furan rate this post as useful

whoa 2007/10/3 00:59
I agree that such a trip is do-able, but will it be enjoyable? Places such as Daitokuji and Ryoanji lose a lot if you can't 'savour' them. If I had only one spare day, I think I'd opt for a day trip to Hakone, Nikko or Kamakura. On the other hand, if this is the only opportunity you think you'll ever have to visit Japan, maybe the Kyoto whirlwind would be the way to go.
by Tay rate this post as useful

Day trip to Kyoto 2007/10/3 01:55
It is a doable trip, but I think given the high cost of the shinkansen ride, it is better to spend a night or two in Kyoto. I think Kyoto is one of the most beautiful cities in Japan that has still managed to hang on to the traditions. Also, a trip to Uji to visit Byodoin is advisable. It is a great site and can be seen on the 10yen coin.

Good luck.
by TravelToJapan rate this post as useful

yes 2007/10/3 05:35
And not only the Byodoin, but also Ujigamijinja, and just strolling the park-like areas along the Ujigawa. All through the area are monuments to the Uji chapters of Genji Monogatari (The Tale of Genji). Plus, Uji has what is considered by many to be the finest tea in Japan!
by Tay rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2007/10/4 20:25
As I said earlier, Kyoto is so beautiful and there is so much to see and do that 9 hours is a very cursory sweep. But the decision is yours - is the expensive shinkansen ride for 9 hours really worth it? My view is no unless you stay a day or two.Also, note that if you are using a JR Pass, you can't take the Nozomi shinkansen.
by Akira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread