Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Education prior to moving to Japan 2007/10/6 11:16
I have finally made a definitive decision to move to Japan from America, for reasons which I will not disclose here. I have checked on various websites and it seems a Bachelor's Degree is required for an English teaching position. I'm 25 and ready to start my college education in the states but I have a slight dilemma on what exactly to pursue. I would like to either teach English, work as an R.N. (nurse), or both. According to http://metropolis.co.jp/tokyobusinessarchive299/285/tokyobus... it's possible for a foreigner to practice in Japan as long as they pass the Japanese Nursing Board Exams. What I have considered doing is going for an Associate in Arts Nursing Degree, a B.A. in English for my major and practicing nursing while I finish my Bacherlor's degree. That way I will get some experience and can save a good amount of money before I leave. It will also give me the option of teaching English or Nursing in Japan. Also, if it takes me a while to pass the nursing exam in Japan I will have a decent job as an English teacher until I do so. Does this sound like a good idea? Any thoughts on doing things differently?
by Ron  

Japan 2007/10/6 16:47
Just this year, or the end of last year I believe, the first contingent of Filipina nurses was allowed to start work in Japan. There was a very small number of them if I remember rightly, and they all had to pass tests proving they were very fluent in Japanese to get the positions.

I haven't heard about other non-Japanese allowed into nursing positions here since, but it's possible there have been some more.

How is your Japanese? If it isn't fluent (and it can take several years of intensive study to become fluent in Japanese), then your chances of beign a nurse here are minimal.

Have you been to Japan before? If not, it may not live up to your expectations, or be what you thought it would be. However it seems like you are training yourself for a good career in any case.

by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread